Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Megaproject - The Spire of Armok (Now with pictures!)  (Read 58685 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An AussieGuy Megaproject - The Spire of Armok.
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2012, 12:24:23 am »

This is amazing.  The map room in particular is very very good.  I spent about 10 minutes looking around, and I'm sure it will take awhile just to absorb how the different mechanisms all work.  I won't ask too many questions because that will be half the fun, but I was wondering what the purpose of the odd shape in cinnabar on the floor of the upper magma tank?  Also one of the notes said to raise a certain north bridge before making a sacrifice to the doom clock.  Why is that?

Other observations:  it appears you can use the upper magma room to force invaders to path through a falling curtain of lava.  It also appears that if the main staircase is flooded with magma as a defense, the magma will drain into the caverns at the bottom of the fortress instead of being returned to the lower magma tank.  Am I mistaken?  Why does one level have its floor made all from wood?

I'm going to have some fun wtih this, but tidying up the scattered items is going to be a BITCH.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Mapleguy555

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2012, 12:30:35 am »

*snip*
I suppose you must be wondering.  "ThatAussieGuy, you evil, evil, man;  How can I avert this fort's destruction?"  The answer is simple.  Sacrifice one of the fort's dwarves. 

To reset The Doom Clock, simply send one of your dwarves (be it nobleman, craftsdwarf, or one of those damn fisherdwarves that keep turning up) out onto the Bridge of Death and watch them plummet.  The Doom Clock will return to 1 and the fort can continue on in peace.
*snip*

I dub you Sheogorath of Bay12.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2012, 01:15:57 am »

One of the notes said to raise a certain north bridge before making a sacrifice to the doom clock.  Why is that?

So they have a straight shot to the chasm floor instead of hitting the bridge in full-view of everyone

but I was wondering what the purpose of the odd shape in cinnabar on the floor of the upper magma tank? 

I was going to do it all in cinnabar, but I ran out

Other observations:  it appears you can use the upper magma room to force invaders to path through a falling curtain of lava.  It also appears that if the main staircase is flooded with magma as a defense, the magma will drain into the caverns at the bottom of the fortress instead of being returned to the lower magma tank.

Close.  Closing the north rutile bridge will make magma pool in that enclosed area at the base of the stairs.  Area of denial AND immediate threats are melted.  Just remember to raise the fort-side bridge before opening the chasm-side one so the magma pours out into the chasm instead of potentially into the fort.

Oh, and the drain's meant as a general in-case-of-flooding.

Oh and as a general thing, the started magma pumpstack can be reorganised and redirected any way you please, as long as it's all connected to that final pump.  It's rigged to the same type of automatic trigger that keeps the water tank under the dining hall from overfilling.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 01:17:45 am by ThatAussieGuy »

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2012, 02:19:34 am »

Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.
sigging.
now.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2012, 03:22:26 am »

Downloading now, but given what I saw of the checkboard, I'm afraid to know what sort of evil is in this rar.

EDIT: Seems theres a graphics pack in the raw that really hates my system. Nothing is rendering correctly, and my initial attempt to delete it wasn't successful. I dunno if the raws are stock or not, but at least on DF2012/linux, I wasn't able to really play with it. It looks very awesome in stonesense however!

In addition, Aussie, if you wanted to prevent item scatter for an easier embark, there is an easyway to do it in dfhack.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 04:29:51 am by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2012, 06:46:14 am »

Downloading now, but given what I saw of the checkboard, I'm afraid to know what sort of evil is in this rar.

EDIT: Seems theres a graphics pack in the raw that really hates my system. Nothing is rendering correctly, and my initial attempt to delete it wasn't successful. I dunno if the raws are stock or not, but at least on DF2012/linux, I wasn't able to really play with it. It looks very awesome in stonesense however!

In addition, Aussie, if you wanted to prevent item scatter for an easier embark, there is an easyway to do it in dfhack.

Oh crap, yes the original game was run with the Ironhand 0.68 visualizer, so adjust your raws accordingly.  Sorry, forgot to mention that!

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2012, 08:20:23 am »

Oh crap, yes the original game was run with the Ironhand 0.68 visualizer, so adjust your raws accordingly.  Sorry, forgot to mention that!

ahh yes, as if you dont, itll all be buggy and you wont be able to see the wonderful carnage from sacrifices or the entire fort dropping into the depths.
out of interest, are spikes involved in the sacrificing procedure. because i think there should be spikes at the bottom of the pit of doom

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2012, 08:22:07 am »

Updated the OP to say it was genned with Ironhand 0.68.  And no.  Spikes aren't involved because a clean hit on the chasm floor (if you retract the north orthoclase bridge, or they fall to the side) will result in pieces.  Much more fun evil satisfying to Armok.

As a kind of funny story (though more "oh dear god..." funny than "ha-ha" funny), I had a soldier go test the suicide bridge.  He survived because he had armor and landed on the orthoclase bridge with just enough injuries to go to the hospital.  I forgot to unset his station order.  He marched right back off the bridge and this time fell all the way to the chasm floor.  He didn't survive that one.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:28:41 am by ThatAussieGuy »

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2012, 09:32:45 am »

So, it's official, ThatAussieGuy is a Legendary Fortbuilder.
After the Dwarven Checkerboard, he made another masterful, huge, sadistic killing device. Dwarven perfection.
How many more masterpieces are you going to make available for our unworthy grubby hands, o Aussie Master?  :D
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2012, 09:44:28 am »

So, it's official, ThatAussieGuy is a Legendary Fortbuilder.
After the Dwarven Checkerboard, he made another masterful, huge, sadistic killing device. Dwarven perfection.
How many more masterpieces are you going to make available for our unworthy grubby hands, o Aussie Master?  :D

I will admit, I am considering doing something to an ocean.  That won't be for a while though.  Probably going to take a bit of a break from playing DF for a week or two, considering I just finished this megaproject.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2012, 10:09:33 am »

I will admit, I am considering doing something to an ocean.
Sounds ominous. Just the way I like it.
Take your time! Carefully hand-crafted torture devices are better than mass-produced unsubtle slaughterhouses.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2012, 10:13:20 am »

I will admit, I am considering doing something to an ocean.
Sounds ominous. Just the way I like it.
Take your time! Carefully hand-crafted torture devices are better than mass-produced unsubtle slaughterhouses.

Well so far I've perverted the HFS, Fire and now Death to my own means.  Water seems the next logical step.

Edit: Oh wait, I did do water already with the waterlock... Hmm... Oh well, the thing I want to do with an ocean is far bigger and outrageous.  If it works.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2012, 12:20:06 pm »

I wonder if DF players are channeling their violent impulses into the game, because they would rather not express them in real life? The people 'round here seem to be a rather unusually nice bunch; I can't imagine you're all sociopaths, and I know I'm not one. Perhaps games like this one are ways to explore one's violent impulses safely, without hurting anyone, because if we did, we'd never forgive ourselves.

Question: How did you do the timer? Or, more generally, what's regular enough in Dwarf Fortress to tell time by?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2012, 12:39:56 pm »

water flowing up a to certain level and slowly filling the available space untill it reaches the pressure plate, only to be avoided... probably by dropping a dorf somewhere with no retreat, where he can pull a lever to make the water drain into... probably an evaporation chamber, but the draining water will trigger another pressure plate, resetting the resevoir for filling?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2012, 01:24:57 pm »

Hmmm... A pillar fort set to drop do its doom? Sounds like what I described to you when you posted a thread asking for ideas :p

So did you end up using my water tower Doomsday clock design, as well?

Will download to check this out when I get home :D
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8