Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8

Author Topic: An AussieGuy Megaproject - The Spire of Armok (Now with pictures!)  (Read 58669 times)

dwarfkoala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: An AussieGuy Megaproject - The Spire of Armok.
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2012, 01:36:03 pm »

the transformations of a werewolf - each month, they transform and get heavier(I think...) and then untransform later. If you set this pressure plate to be resettable, and set it to be triggered whenever the were-subject gets heavier and untriggered whenever the subjects untransforms, you can set up a system where each month, it drops a 7/7 block of water onto a 13zlevel deep vertical pit, with a pressure plate at the 13th level, triggerable by water which will take the enire fort down. To ensure one trigger of the were-timer won't kill the fort, you have to use a system of hatches to isolate a single 7/7 block of water, sort of like this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2012, 02:01:22 pm »

Werecreatures don't eat or drink? That's news to me, I thought it was only vampires that didn't. Are you sure about that?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2012, 02:16:05 pm »

The Doom Clock!!

Not to detract from anything... But that one ! Is a hero of punctuation.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2012, 02:20:01 pm »

I wonder if DF players are channeling their violent impulses into the game, because they would rather not express them in real life? The people 'round here seem to be a rather unusually nice bunch; I can't imagine you're all sociopaths, and I know I'm not one. Perhaps games like this one are ways to explore one's violent impulses safely, without hurting anyone, because if we did, we'd never forgive ourselves.

That seems quite likely.  I wouldn't say there are NO sociopaths here, I personally feel I qualify, but being in an accepting environment with similar views would appear to alleviate any difficulty relating. 
And, from Dr. Wikipedia:

TL;DR Psychopaths can't care or feel.  Sociopaths lost or suppressed that ability in 'self-defense'.

Although, it could be the fact that its just a game, and we are all rational well-adjusted individuals who happen to enjoy violent thought exercises.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.

Orky_Boss

• Bay Watcher
  • Why not?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2012, 05:29:18 pm »

Oh. My God. I don't even know where to start! With only seven dwarves, I need to clear out this stone, smelt the metals, figure out out to make a memorial for the ghosts, clean up all this trash, And I forgot how often I have to sacrifice a dwarf.

EDIT: And it sure is laggy...
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:30:52 pm by Orky_Boss »
Shit! He's flatlining! Quick, get the Doctor in!

Doctor: Nah, I'm on break.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2012, 06:32:31 pm »

That's just friend computer processing which of your dwarves is most likely to be a communist sympathizer.

You have to make him feel safe by ousting a token communist or two every so often, or else friend computer will initiate the scorched earth subroutine.

Remember, thos commies are everywhere.

feralferret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2012, 08:33:34 pm »

The Doom Clock!!

Not to detract from anything... But that one ! Is a hero of punctuation.

Because multiple exclamation marks are a sure sign of a diseased mind? ;)

This is such an awesome idea... reminds me of the homicidal computer program in the first Resident Evil movie. I can't wait to try it out!

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2012, 08:35:44 pm »

I wonder if DF players are channeling their violent impulses into the game, because they would rather not express them in real life? The people 'round here seem to be a rather unusually nice bunch; I can't imagine you're all sociopaths, and I know I'm not one. Perhaps games like this one are ways to explore one's violent impulses safely, without hurting anyone, because if we did, we'd never forgive ourselves.

That's just friend computer processing which of your dwarves is most likely to be a communist sympathizer.

You have to make him feel safe by ousting a token communist or two every so often, or else friend computer will initiate the scorched earth subroutine.

Remember, thos commies are everywhere.

Well this thread certainly took a weird turn...

Hmmm... A pillar fort set to drop do its doom? Sounds like what I described to you when you posted a thread asking for ideas :p

Is it?  Credit where due, then. 

So did you end up using my water tower Doomsday clock design, as well?

Will download to check this out when I get home :D

That would be telling.  Go try and get at the clock yourself :-P

the transformations of a werewolf - each month, they transform and get heavier(I think...) and then untransform later. If you set this pressure plate to be resettable, and set it to be triggered whenever the were-subject gets heavier and untriggered whenever the subjects untransforms, you can set up a system where each month, it drops a 7/7 block of water onto a 13zlevel deep vertical pit, with a pressure plate at the 13th level, triggerable by water which will take the enire fort down. To ensure one trigger of the were-timer won't kill the fort, you have to use a system of hatches to isolate a single 7/7 block of water, sort of like this:

Interesting idea, but not even close.

dwarfkoala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2012, 08:48:40 pm »

Hmph, were-elf powered doomsday clocks would be totally awesome!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2012, 09:12:32 pm »

Interesting idea, but not even close.

And why couldn't you make a clock out of that? Werebeasts trigger traps, including pressure plates, correct? Unless plates won't trigger/untrigger unless the creature physically leaves their tile... It wouldn't work on reclaim I suppose.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2012, 09:13:10 pm »

So now that I managed to scrub the raws, and play with it a bit. One glitch I had is the third floodgate failed to open, and the fourth one opened. Not sure if this intended behavior or not ...
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 10, 2012, 09:16:49 pm »

So now that I managed to scrub the raws, and play with it a bit. One glitch I had is the third floodgate failed to open, and the fourth one opened. Not sure if this intended behavior or not ...

Yeah, that happens sometimes.  Hazard of the design I used, but I left it in just for the thrill.  Check that clock often...

It wouldn't work on reclaim I suppose.

That's about right.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 09:20:23 pm by ThatAussieGuy »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 10, 2012, 09:46:24 pm »

I was able to locate the clock using without using dfhack or exploratory mining, and then disarm it.  8)

However, the method I used could be protected against in another version of the device.

It is also possible to protect against some versions of the "link it to the nearby floor/wall so the support doesn't matter" solution. Collapse the floor and drop the sky on top of the fort as well as collapsing the fort itself.

So much junk and dead bodies on the map. Reclaim scatter is annoying.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 10, 2012, 09:48:07 pm »

That's an offensive notion.  We just happen to have a very clear sense of the distinction between fantasy and reality, as well as healthy, active imaginations.  Feeling an emotional attachment to the dwarves is natural and enhances the gameplay experience.  Feeling a moral obligation to them in any way is downright absurd.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 10, 2012, 09:48:51 pm »

Surround clock with waterlock(or magmalock). A use for an otherwise theoretical device!
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 8