Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Civilizations: technology, ethics, skills and culture  (Read 3723 times)

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Civilizations: technology, ethics, skills and culture
« on: May 09, 2012, 09:15:10 am »

As it stands now, civilizations are fairly redundant. From what I've understood, civilizations are only used as far as tracking resources, animal training and wars are concerned (please correct me if there is anything else I've missed). Aside from this, all dwarves are essentially the same, as are all humans, all elves and all goblins. These suggestions could help to make civs unique.

Technology
Giving different civilizations different technologies would further serve to make a distinction between different civilizations. Savage civilizations would perhaps not have access to metals, while more advanced civilizations use a few and the most advanced civs work alloys such as steel. The same goes for various plants. Of course, one must consider whether this actually adds something to the actual gaming experience, and as such maybe give the civilization that you play in dwarf mode access to everything. Tech trees would still be meaningful for adventure mode as well as in trading, though. This is partially already implemented, except it mostly distinguishes between races instead of civs.

Ethics
Essentially, move ethics from races to civs. Some dwarves might become ruthless, war mongering overlords, while other might prefer to keep peace. This could still have an effect on which civs are at war with each other, the same way as it is today. Trading a lot with another civ could influence their ethics so that they are normalized them towards a common value, while warring could have the opposite effect. Different races could have weighted rolls on what ethics they embrace, so that elven civs mostly tend to be respectful of plants etc.

Skills
Different civs could be known for different attributes. One civ might be known for their excellent axemen, another for their superior bone carving, and yet another for their excellent swords. This could be represented by giving speciality items crafted by a civ member quality bonuses, making trade caravans bring mostly their speciality items and giving them increased value as well as a descriptor (This is a well-crafted Door of Worth short sword; i.e eq. to modern-day branding). Sieges arriving from a civ known for their swordsmen would consist primarily of such. An alternative to item quality bonuses would be giving them an affinity for certain skills, allowing them to learn them faster. Similar to how the animal training system works today. This could potentially be reduced further to settlement level.

Culture
While only Toady knows what the personality rewrite will mean, I think it is fair to assume that personality will have more of an impact on the actual game than now. Culture is, in a way, a personality stereotype/convention for a group of people. This could be represented by giving civ members weighted rolls on personality traits. Subjects of The Icy Empire might be known for their cheerful view on life, while members of The Boyish Band might be known for their murderous rage.

You should be able to view through civ info in legends mode, for instance:
"The Evil Tower was a goblin tribe founded 54 in the Haunted Hills by Unxi Keg. It was known for its excellent lashers, superior bone bolts and fine leather gloves. Its members were known for their hostility to strangers and their murderous rage. The Evil Tower punished treason by execution and accepted slavery. Its members knew little about the metals of the earth, but much about nature's various plants and the surrounding wildlife."
This civ would have little to no access to metal, but a high access/familiarity to plants and wildlife.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
Re: Civilizations: technology, ethics, skills and culture
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 09:38:57 am »

Sorry Escapism but this is posted every other week its a good Idea but please search before you post and Toady Said he doesn't want tech trees.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 10:05:01 am »

I do like the general idea, that more stuff should be moved from races to civs, and given a more procedural flavor.

tech trees = no.  They could be cool as something worked along within worldgen, but no one wants to gen a world just to find out their civ hasn't discovered steel yet.  Tech trees in fortress mode are an absolute no.  I don't have a problem with different civs being able to make/use different sets of items, but we wouldn't want this to take away from fortress mode.  Certain races prefering certain styles of clothing or weapons types would be good.

Ethics = yes.  At least some of them should be moved to civs, with some reserved by race.  Furthermore, the idea that there are many civs of one race, but you can only get one caravan from each race per year has always felt artificial.

Skills = this could be cool.  The additional modifier to items is bad though.  This could be done via the existing quality modifier system.  Just have a particular civ be more likely to generate higher quality swords.  If you want to have those items marked by their creators, use the existing decoration system to put that civ's symbols on it.  Easy, and works within the existing frameworks.

Culture = in the spirit of the rest, moving more traits and behaviors to civs and away from racial raws.  I'm leery about the physical attributes aspect, as I don't know how traits/genetics are handled during worldgen.  Ideally the initial members of the civ could have weighted traits, and the rest is determined by genetics, allowing for captured or integrated members of other civs to dilute or mix the bloodlines.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 10:54:17 am »

Well, we do have something LIKE tech trees now with the civ knowledge system for taming animals.

The thing is, most of the technology available in DF is technology that was available since the Early Bronze Age, if not earlier.  People discovered glassblowing out of the slag of early metallurgy, which was fairly early on in civilization. 

The big things that would be technological breakthroughs, like, say, minecarts or smelting steel, are things I doubt most players would want to lose.

Civ knowledge of animal taming is fine because it's mostly a flavor thing, anyway.  It's not a "tree" that you have to pass through prerequisites to get anywhere, it just gives you the taming of giant badgers or whatever.

If you were to make "technology" something that generally applies only to certain skills (thus justifying that skill entry) or where it makes a given trade good more common and cheaper in one civ, and more rare and expensive in another, then it could fit into the game fairly easily, and work well with caravans.

As for the Personality Rewrite, according to his response the last time I asked him about a month ago, Toady doesn't know what will be in the Personality Rewrites, either, so if you want to have a good idea, go ahead and suggest it, and maybe you can influence what he will decide on doing with Personality Rewrites. 

I would like to see something more out of a culture thing than simply saying that, "they were known for producing [Roll 1d20 and consult table 4:3] and having outlook on life [Roll 1d20 and consult table 4:4]."  Rather, I'd like to see it where the culture evolved as a result of the events of worldgen, in a way that a tech-tree would have taken place, but with cultural outlook and ethics and focuses in industry developing rather than technology to build certain things.

A civ constantly beset by werecreatures and vampires and night creatures might have a far more militant outlook on life and less trust for strangers and less hospitable towards trade than one that started on the coast, and traded overseas for great riches, and managed to make a secure kingdom before facing real military resistance.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
  • ...likes cows for their haunting moos.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 08:44:06 pm »

What NW_Kohaku says rings true for the most part!

I'd like to emphasize that development of technology is only partly about people "knowing" something... it's as much about the availability of the appropriate resources (including people and tools... and motivation) to take advantage of that knowledge.

Like with steel... people knew how to make steel (or, at least steely wrought iron... not quite as homogenous as steel today) since iron working pretty much began.  And things like the blast furnace which facilitated large scale iron (and steel) production and the like didn't come about in the West until the 17th century not because medieval peoples didn't have the knowhow or the creativity to put two and two together to make them; it's because it was hardly worth doing given the political, social, and economic structures of the time.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 08:58:27 pm by Andeerz »

Escapism

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2012, 04:16:56 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Yeah, your civ should be omitted from that. However, I still feel that it's a bit strange when your dwarves are somehow proficient in all crafting skills from the start. It also devalues your starting sevens skills, and immigrants. Maybe a steeper experience curve in the earlier levels (as well as more bad items such as "poorly crafted X", "crude y") could be an alternative, with civs having a "civ skill level". This "civ skill level" would effect how skilled immigrants and your original dwarves can be in a particular skill (it should pretty much set an average). To compensate for your civs weaknesses you could request other civs to send instructors in a skill, and allow teaching to quickly traverse the early experience curve. Would be both sensible and realistic, and you'd never be completely restricted. Teacher/student skills would also be of use other than in the military.

As for having a civ-descriptor on items: having civ symbols on them could of course be pretty sweet as well, but you would hardly bother to put that on every item you made. Descriptors wouldn't add much, true, but you could let your imagination do the rest. Or maybe you could have randomly generated sets of general descriptions, with civs items typically fitting into a certain one.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
Quote from: Andeerz
Yeah, and I think that's a great thing, although animal familiarity only has minor impact on gameplay as of now.

Tech trees are essentially an abstraction (of both knowledge, social and economic factors), and while it isn't very good, it makes some sense and allows civs to be have different levels of advancement. I never suggested that you'd have a "tech tree" in the usual sense, but more a restriction of technologies for certain civs. For instance, the aztecs, iirc, used mostly obsidian weaponry because they had no metal industry to speak of. Whether this was due to scarcity of suitable metals, social factors, lack of knowledge or a combination thereof I do not know, but it would still make sense to restrict metal weaponry if a similar civ would arise in DF. On the other hand, they had very advanced knowledge in astronomy in comparison to the rest of the world, made use of advanced irrigation systems and built great cities. Maybe you could make a more fluid system, where a "civ skill level", material access and social factors (i.e war, trading with and proximity to a civ which is knowledgeable in a skill, etc) determines the quality, types and amount of items a civ has access to, which would be represented in what civ members wear and what their merchants offer.

Regarding civ traits: Yeah, it'd be a bit... plastic if one were to just randomly generate traits. On the other hand, the randomness of DF is part of its charm. I remember reading in a story thread when I was new to DF about a swordmaster who made a mayor limbless in a berserker rage; the mayor, however, then proceeded to end the fight by biting off the swordmasters head.  Allowing for the surroundings and history of a civ to effect how its members generally behave seems like a fair thing to do, but then you would also limit what kind of civs can exist. I actually think it'd be pretty cool if worldgen could create some pretty bizarre civs. Deciding how a culture turns out depending on external factors also seems like a very hard thing to do. Mistrust due to abundant night creatures, bandits and conflict is a good starting point, but then what?

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2012, 05:42:56 pm »

Tech trees are essentially an abstraction (of both knowledge, social and economic factors), and while it isn't very good, it makes some sense and allows civs to be have different levels of advancement. I never suggested that you'd have a "tech tree" in the usual sense, but more a restriction of technologies for certain civs. For instance, the aztecs, iirc, used mostly obsidian weaponry because they had no metal industry to speak of. Whether this was due to scarcity of suitable metals, social factors, lack of knowledge or a combination thereof I do not know, but it would still make sense to restrict metal weaponry if a similar civ would arise in DF. On the other hand, they had very advanced knowledge in astronomy in comparison to the rest of the world, made use of advanced irrigation systems and built great cities. Maybe you could make a more fluid system, where a "civ skill level", material access and social factors (i.e war, trading with and proximity to a civ which is knowledgeable in a skill, etc) determines the quality, types and amount of items a civ has access to, which would be represented in what civ members wear and what their merchants offer.

Regarding civ traits: Yeah, it'd be a bit... plastic if one were to just randomly generate traits. On the other hand, the randomness of DF is part of its charm. I remember reading in a story thread when I was new to DF about a swordmaster who made a mayor limbless in a berserker rage; the mayor, however, then proceeded to end the fight by biting off the swordmasters head.  Allowing for the surroundings and history of a civ to effect how its members generally behave seems like a fair thing to do, but then you would also limit what kind of civs can exist. I actually think it'd be pretty cool if worldgen could create some pretty bizarre civs. Deciding how a culture turns out depending on external factors also seems like a very hard thing to do. Mistrust due to abundant night creatures, bandits and conflict is a good starting point, but then what?

In my ideal vision of DF, there would be possible differences in availability of technologies in different civs and places... but the way I would implement it would not be through making hard-set restrictions and what I would consider to be abstractions not in the spirit of the game (procedural generation). 

In a way, it would be possible with the proposed caravan arc stuff... availability of resources within a civ's boundaries determining what you might find there.  That is a step in the right direction; i.e., if you don't have access to iron, not much iron working would be done, or if you didn't have access to flux, not much quality steel could be produced, etc.  And it already sort of happens at the fortress level: you don't have charcoal, you are effectively in the stone-age.  If anything, we just need to model the resource requirements (people, ANIMALS, land, food, raw materials, and time in some cases) better, as well as the caravan arc, and we have half of what we need right there... and then just make it actually all matter at the civilizational level (which the caravan arc would do a little of!) during world gen.  And BAM!

I think the key to having technological differences that arise procedurally and believably would require two things:
1. modelling knowledge (which there are the beginnings of a framework for that!), including how it is spread and generated...
2. modelling the resources required for implementing this or that knowledge... (and, in a way, this is already done... just not adequately for procedurally generated technological differences between peoples).

I actually think 2 is more important than 1, though both are necessary, I think, if things are to be done in a way satisfactory to me...

Well, a summary of my ideas (and some awesome ones from others!) can be found here: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=46550.msg1120942#msg1120942 and http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62629.msg1492239#msg1492239 and http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85289.msg2924427#msg2924427 <- this last one in particular!!!

I would explain more... but I need to get back to work!

Also... (well, work can wait another 5 minutes...) I would say that it isn't the RANDOMNESS of DF that is its charm; it's the fact that it IS NOT random in its seemingly random qualities.  It's all procedurally generated; things build off of things that happened before which built off of things that happened before and so on in ways that are not explicitly hard coded as a whole.  Complex things emerge from a set of relatively simple rules (like DNA!).
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:51:15 pm by Andeerz »

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2012, 06:28:33 pm »

In my ideal vision of DF, there would be possible differences in availability of technologies in different civs and places... but the way I would implement it would not be through making hard-set restrictions and what I would consider to be abstractions not in the spirit of the game (procedural generation). 

How are you supposed to build your fortress if the Magic of Procedural Generation! has stiffed you on key technologies?

God, that would be the worst tutorial ever: Now that you've generated a world, it's time to figure out if your civilization invented picks! Select a site, press "e" to embark, press "s" to search the list of available items, and type "PICK". If there are no results, then you can't build fortresses in this world. Start again from the beginning.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 06:53:25 pm »

That is a very VERY good point.  But, if designed well, it wouldn't happen that way.  I know, that is a hand-wavy statement... but I'll try to clarify it.

I think the knowledge thing would be difficult to address... but here's some ideas...  Read what I mentioned in http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=85289.msg2924427#msg2924427... here it is anyway...

What I envision as technological progression would ... involve treating ideas and knowledge as commodities a lot like how the current thread ... suggests how to treat physical commodities.  They wouldn't be represented the same way as other commodities like ore, crafts, and the like are, but would still be resources required for certain things to happen.  For example, a settlement near a rich copper deposit would not be able to exploit it and make a copper industry without having people in the settlement who know how to obtain the ore, process it, and make stuff out of it.  This knowledge of how to do the stuff could be imported (via immigrants or hiring someone or sending someone out to learn how to do this stuff and come back) or learned (which could be modeled somehow...). The knowledge is just as important as having the physical commodities necessary to exploit copper, like the right tools and other logistical factors.  The effects of how knowledge is distributed and travels during world gen would affect civs and stuff in much the same way as how physical resources are distributed and travel during world gen, and would ultimately affect what technologies and industries are available and prevalent wherever, whenever.

But this would be very difficult to do right methinks... not that I think it couldn't be done right in the future after a lot of other things are in place.

We can still ignore knowledge generation and spread, though, and have technological progression.  The availability of a technology (as in, not the ability to make/do whatever technology... just whether or not the technology is exploited by NPC civs/cities/whatever in an area) would be contingent on resource availability, though.  Just imagine the requirements you have of getting an industry going in dwarf mode and apply it on a civ level.  Like, you would not have an iron working culture regardless of knowledge of how to make iron things and work iron if you don't have people trained in how to do it (in this case, skilled craftsdwarves... though I think this could be modeled differently), the means of supporting said people, the logistics necessary in getting raw materials, the need and motivation for using iron things... you won't have the technological fruits of iron working found in your fort or civ.  I mean, the option of making iron stuff would still be there, but would essentially be unable to be acted upon due to resources and need not being there.   This is the kind of stuff that needs to be modeled better in the game (along with a lot of things already planned for the future of the game) in order for technological progression to be able to happen and happen in a meaningful way.

To put it in other words (to quote from a previous post of mine in another thread): 
technology evolves as a function of what economic resources are available, and leaving out modeling of knowledge would not remove modeling of technological progression/evolution.  Leaving out modeling of knowledge would just leave out one more economic resource from the overall economic model.

So, you could still have evolution of technology and stuff without having to model knowledge... like, you could have dwarves in fortress mode able to do whatvere they can do now.  But if you are lacking in resources necessary to do stuff, you can't do it.  I hope I make sense.  Like I said before, a simple example of this is that if for some reason you don't have a source of coal/charcoal, your fort is essentially stuck in the stone age.  To make technological progression be realistic in the game, what needs to change is resource requirements of various tasks and industries.  The rest will follow.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 07:01:30 pm by Andeerz »

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 07:05:46 pm »

Well, again, I think we should move away from a Civilization or other "4X" game type of tech tree, where the whole objective is advancement in order to gain new powers and gain the ability to advance more.  Those types of tech trees are for games built entirely around the notion of advancing the tech tree.

Rather, as Silverionmox was saying in one of those threads you linked, there, Andeerz, we should go a route where cultures change in response to their environments, so that rice farmers are different from wheat farmers because wheat farmers have draft horses that enable heavy cavalry and that focuses their civ more on chargers than horse archers.  Conversely, shepherd cultures are more militant and overly concerned with invasion of territory than farmer cultures because a culture where one has to always fight away someone trying to steal your sheep instills a different cultural mindset than wheat, which you can't really just take and replant in your own field the way that different shepherds could claim any animal they could get into their pen. 

Also, we could work more along the lines of "technology" we gain that the player can actually gain in-game, like the animal taming knowledge, so that it isn't so much a tech tree as it is a bonus if your culture already happens to have lion familiarity, but something you can work around if you don't. 

In the alchemy thread I made recently, I talked about how there was a great big "reaction web" of every possible combination of materials with all other materials, and their possible effects, and that your starting civ can be assumed to have played around with the basic results of mixing any items they had on hand to see what happened, and maybe going a bit further, and mixing results of some alchemy with results of others, and knowledge of what that does could be in an "alchemy journal" so you know what your civ knows.  All that does is tell you the results ahead of time, however, you can still just learn for yourself. 

EDIT: Ah, kind of ninja'd...
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 07:08:40 pm »

What you said, NW_Kohaku.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 08:09:37 pm »

One of the other things covered was the notion of the "Great Man" theory of history, though.

There's a sort of unfortunate tendency in history to attribute all advancements to single "Great Men" throughout history, so that Christopher Columbus Proved The World Was Round, even though the diameter of the Earth had been calculated relatively accurately by the Ancient Greeks, and the reason Columbus had sailed when everyone called him a fool was because, due to unit measurement discrepancies, he had argued that the Earth was actually much smaller (and therefore, the trip to Asia by sailing West would be shorter) than the Greeks had predicted.  He just got lucky to hit the wrong continent before starving to death for his mistake. 

Likewise, we tend to declare Martin Luther King Jr to be the whole of the Civil Rights movement in American history, as if nobody else of importance had much to do with the whole idea (except maybe Rosa Parks). 

As such, I'm a little reluctant to bring the topic up, because it could be mishandled, but we could have events where people remember history a little goofy.

I.E. We could have an event where a cultural change takes place, and it all gets tied to a single individual.  "Julius Caeser popularized togas in the Roman Empire in the year 32 BC. (Togas are COMMON in the Roman Empire)"

This could be tied up with, and blended with the whole "Such-and-such tamed bobcats in the pink plains in the year 48."

The actual causes of changes should be cultural and generally Guns Germs and Steel type changes, but remembered incorrectly as the work of one person. 
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 02:31:49 pm »

So, you could still have evolution of technology and stuff without having to model knowledge... like, you could have dwarves in fortress mode able to do whatvere they can do now.  But if you are lacking in resources necessary to do stuff, you can't do it.  I hope I make sense.  Like I said before, a simple example of this is that if for some reason you don't have a source of coal/charcoal, your fort is essentially stuck in the stone age.  To make technological progression be realistic in the game, what needs to change is resource requirements of various tasks and industries.  The rest will follow.

Is this part of your clarification of how this system would not leave the player without key technologies? Because I'm not seeing the connection.

Andeerz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 03:21:57 pm »

That wasn't much of a clarification, huh...

Lemme try again. 

You don't have to model knowledge, as in, you can have everyone "knowing" how to do everything, like building picks and furnaces and the like, and still have evolution of technology.  The player need not be restricted in what they can allow their dwarves to do.  What would be the driving force behind technological progression in this case would be what resources are available.  For example, if a civilization is in an iron-poor region, or has iron ore in its land but lacks the infrastructure or political stability or motivation or what-have-you to exploit this available resource, then you will not see technologies implemented in that civ that rely on iron.  If the civ then gains the things it lacks to exploit the resource, then you might see iron based technologies emerge.  I would argue this kind of scenario is more akin to happened throughout human history IRL than people inventing crap and that being what determines whether or not technology is found somewhere (i.e. the reason Aztecs did not have pervasive iron working had nothing to do with them not having invented something or discovering something). 

As a more gamey example that you might find in a fort in DF, say you want to build picks, a key technology; if you start in a region and don't have the proper materials to build them, you're SOL, and effectively don't have the key technology.  But you still have it in the sense that it is still possible to build (you can still select it in the menu and designate someone to build it).  And if you get the necessary resources, then the dwarves will be able to actually build the picks and in that way the technology becomes available (which is no different from what we have now).

The presence of a technology has as much to do about what resources were available to a people (and how many people there were to exploit said resources) than people having knowledge of an invention (and I think the idea of invention is really overemphasized when it comes to many discussions I've seen on this forum about technology). 

So, wait, I guess I'm not clarifying how the system would not leave the player without key technologies... the possibility would always be there.  I guess I disagree that this would be a game-breaking problem.

And I guess what I am suggesting is that...

1.  The caravan arc happen already and resource availability and history actually affect the presence of whatever industries and tools and stuff in different civs during world-gen...

2.  Resource requirements (including that of labor, time, land, and animals where applicable!) of various tasks and industries be made more realistic in order to better mimic the kind of technological progression I mentioned earlier.

Also... basically this suggestion would have the biggest impact on world gen, and probably not impact dwarf mode as much...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 03:40:06 pm by Andeerz »

irmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 06:00:08 pm »

That wasn't much of a clarification, huh...

The presence of a technology has as much to do about what resources were available to a people (and how many people there were to exploit said resources) than people having knowledge of an invention (and I think the idea of invention is really overemphasized when it comes to many discussions I've seen on this forum about technology). 

Perhaps the word we should be using (instead of "technology") is "development", or maybe "infrastructure".

Tell me if this is what you're getting at: A civ that doesn't have access to iron won't have furnaces or forges equipped to work iron, or smiths who are experienced with it, or a trade network for bringing it from the mines to the forges. (They will, instead, develop all those capabilities with other materials.) If you embark to start a fortress from that civ, your selection of tools (and skills, once trade skills have some kind of differentiation by material) will be limited to stuff that isn't highly suitable for working with iron. You can still try, but you might have to import a master smith and an anvil from somewhere else.

Likewise with which crops and livestock they raise (and therefore what they eat), what kinds of art they produce, etc.

It's still possible you'd get a world with no civs capable of working any metal at all, but it's also remotely possible to have everyone die during worldgen. Not a huge deal.

Now, for something like this to happen, what the game needs is a whole lot more infrastructure committed to specific products. Because right now, a forge is a forge is a forge. It's equally suitable for making silver barrels or steel crossbows. (And if it did have to specialize, it's so cheap to build another forge that it doesn't matter.) The smith is a little more differentiated (weapons/armor/furniture) but not enough to be a serious limitation. All crops grow equally well in all soils and climates and all farmers can grow them. There are no farm tools. Crop processing is trivial. You get the idea.
Pages: [1] 2