Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarven Roller-coaster  (Read 1762 times)

Zombiearcher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarven Roller-coaster
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:36:29 pm »

I just gotta know, am I the only one who is making plans for an underground roller coaster using the new tracks and mining carts? Bonus points for making the carts go airborne and landing back onto another section. :)

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Roller-coaster
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 04:01:13 pm »

Don't forget to have carts airborne in perpendicular directions and see if they can collide...

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 04:03:44 pm »

Definitely.  I'm already thinking up plans, but there's so much !!FUN!! to be had with minecarts that its insane.  Remember that we'll have various power tiles + pressure plates that detect minecarts (based on weight, even!)

I already have in my head a way to weaponize minecarts that I call the Dwarven railgun.  And the fact that you can use them as part of a dodge trap is just a bonus.  I am thinking of magma forging hundreds of lead minecarts to use as ammo.  Lead should make great ammo and it's useless for much of anything else.  I'm sure that learning how it works will take a bit of science, but the awesomeness inherent in weaponized magma-filled lead minecarts shooting out of a Dwarven railgun is so insane that I'm not sure the new release will be able to contain it.

Dwarven Railguns by Uristocrat Systems.  When you want to smash magma-hot lead into your enemies, think Uristocrat Systems.  *pulls lever*
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

jborynec

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 04:15:07 pm »

I don't think you will be able to do a loop de loop.  There is no concept of upside down (and only a very limited notion of ceilings). 

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 04:17:31 pm »

I don't think you will be able to do a loop de loop.  There is no concept of upside down (and only a very limited notion of ceilings).

So then it's just a classic minecart coaster. Since were making it from minecarts, I'd say it's fitting :-)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 04:18:05 pm »

I don't think you can do loops, but the devlog makes it sound like we can do jumps and other forms of derailing.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 04:53:43 pm »

I don't plan on messing with filling them with magma. Just lead bins full of lead bars.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

James009

• Bay Watcher
  • Under centaur siege for going on three years now!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 04:58:37 pm »

Who needs siege cannons when we have these?
Recently slaughtered by the undead!

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 05:31:20 pm »

Spoiler: HFS spoilers (click to show/hide)
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

saltmummy626

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Lich of Gulgatha
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 05:59:26 pm »

Im planning on using them as weapons...
All is silence. The road is straight, without turning, in darkness. Now let there be an end to all things.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 06:01:41 pm »

Old roller coasters went so fast that people often blacked out or got cracked ribs.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 06:07:33 pm »

That's not so much going faster as being less carefully designed with simpler seating.