Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bucket Bug work around.  (Read 2216 times)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
Bucket Bug work around.
« on: May 09, 2012, 03:30:44 pm »

Simply enought: when a dwarf gathers water in a bucket for a job, they end up leaving some units of water behind, and stops the bucket from being used in other jobs. So your dwarves forget to give water etc because all the buckets are filled up with water... yes i know. Dwarven intelligance at work.  Generaly it leaves half filled buckets around that no one uses.

Anyway:

To cure this you need your only water source to not be at 7/7 (not full to the brim), and to have a well over the top of it. Then you designate a pond area, using your none full water source. The dwarves will take the half full buckets and empty them into your water source. Their now ready to be used again. Deactivate the area designation once all your buckets are emptyed of excess water.

When ever you think you may start needing buckets again you reactivate the job, one dwarf goes round the fortress collecting buckets, bringing them to the well and emptying them.

Now your hospitals may run a big more smoothly and for much less wood (since you dont have to keep making buckets duh!).

The dwarf bucket trick. Enjoy.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
Re: Bucket Bug work around.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 03:38:59 pm »

I thought this bug was fixed in the latest version.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 03:44:04 pm »

I use a chute that goes down either to the caverns or into an atom smasher linked to a repeater. Its a pond zone and I just leave it at that. It will never fill up, and half full buckets will be hauled there, emptied, and then hauled back to the stockpile for storage.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 03:47:42 pm »

I use DFHack's drybuckets command.   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 03:52:16 pm »

I remember you dould forbid the water in the bucket and then set the bucket for dumping, leaving the water behind.

I use a chute that goes down either to the caverns or into an atom smasher linked to a repeater. Its a pond zone and I just leave it at that. It will never fill up, and half full buckets will be hauled there, emptied, and then hauled back to the stockpile for storage.

Wont they keep trying to fill the pond, resulting in several dwarfs refilling buckets and wating time otherwise better spent hauling that stone thats been sitting there for months?

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 03:55:09 pm »

I thought this bug was fixed in the latest version.

Not this one. He did fix the water accumulation bug though (1million water in a bucket etc)

I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 03:55:42 pm »

this could stagnate your nice clean water source though.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 03:58:15 pm »

Wont they keep trying to fill the pond, resulting in several dwarfs refilling buckets and wating time otherwise better spent hauling that stone thats been sitting there for months?

If there's only one pond tile designated, it'll only generate one job. For fun you could put a burrow on top of it and assign your one-legged war vet to the burrow so your slowest hauler is the one to take all of the jobs, since there's no rush.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2012, 05:55:47 pm »

I use DFHack's drybuckets command.   :D

+1 Yup, works for me, too.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.