Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: (SPOILERS) Into The Breach!  (Read 8325 times)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
Re: (SPOILERS) Into The Breach!
« Reply #45 on: May 13, 2012, 08:47:39 pm »

Do you think it would be feasible to bottleneck the demons in a 1-tile-wide opening, or does everyone move around too much?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2012, 08:55:17 pm »

Do you think it would be feasible to bottleneck the demons in a 1-tile-wide opening, or does everyone move around too much?

Quite probably.  The demon rush seems to be based on a relatively simple "GO UP" programming command.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 13, 2012, 09:14:05 pm »

You should mine some Slade as a trophy

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2012, 09:16:24 pm »

Dont mine the slade, replace it with something pink or fluffy. Hell, grow sunberries in it! Make HFS seem like MLP land!
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2012, 09:19:00 pm »

I'm curious how things might have played out with a few fire-based demons mixed in.  Assuming they get past the dogs and ballistas a few rogue thermonuclear devices could have made the melee room very interesting.  Weak like salt and snow, but salt and snow don't explode.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2012, 09:20:17 pm »

If you are able to get sunlight into Hell, it will only be a patchwork of 1x1 tiles at best. Digging up through the SMR layer is why. You can't punch bigger than 1x1 shafts through it. Its easy to do from below, just dig stairs from the bottom to the top while its still unrevealed.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2012, 09:21:51 pm »

I'm curious how things might have played out with a few fire-based demons mixed in.  Assuming they get past the dogs and ballistas a few rogue thermonuclear devices could have made the melee room very interesting.  Weak like salt and snow, but salt and snow don't explode.

The worst demons hurl fireballs but aren't made out of fire. They don't die so easily and are lethal to everything, even archers behind fortifications.

ComradeGafarov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 13, 2012, 09:28:07 pm »

I still find the logic behind breaching SMR and mining slade very hilarious.

"You can mine anything you want, as long as you don't know what it is."

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 13, 2012, 09:29:00 pm »

If you are able to get sunlight into Hell, it will only be a patchwork of 1x1 tiles at best. Digging up through the SMR layer is why. You can't punch bigger than 1x1 shafts through it. Its easy to do from below, just dig stairs from the bottom to the top while its still unrevealed.

Actually it's also doable through an adamantine vein if you get VERY lucky with its layout

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 13, 2012, 10:03:24 pm »

Quite probably.  The demon rush seems to be based on a relatively simple "GO UP" programming command.

I'm speaking more for the strategy of having to only fight 1 demon at a time (or 1 standing up and 99 lying on the floor). The dumb dorfs are more likely to run into the hallway 1 at a time, or to let the fight spill into the room rather than staying at the bottleneck. You want to focus fire your bolts into a small number of demons in order to take each one down quickly.

I did this back in 40d (it was easier then) by having the demons emerge from the clown car and come up a 1x1 stair. A few levels above, there was a large room where the staircase was surrounded by the entire military. I could attack each demon from all sides at once. I won, but I lost all of the melee because I was fighting spirits of fire. I wouldn't recommend this strategy in DF2012 because the syndrome or flame clowns will kill everyone.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 13, 2012, 10:12:39 pm »

I'm speaking more for the strategy of having to only fight 1 demon at a time (or 1 standing up and 99 lying on the floor). The dumb dorfs are more likely to run into the hallway 1 at a time, or to let the fight spill into the room rather than staying at the bottleneck. You want to focus fire your bolts into a small number of demons in order to take each one down quickly.

I did this back in 40d (it was easier then) by having the demons emerge from the clown car and come up a 1x1 stair. A few levels above, there was a large room where the staircase was surrounded by the entire military. I could attack each demon from all sides at once. I won, but I lost all of the melee because I was fighting spirits of fire. I wouldn't recommend this strategy in DF2012 because the syndrome or flame clowns will kill everyone.

No, this won't work.  Demons can and will stack up on the same tile.  You won't get one demon coming out of the staircase, you'll get two or three.  And then another 2-3 right after those a tick later and so on.  Demonsplosion and dead militia dwarves.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]