Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20

Author Topic: Nihon Nights: Tale of the Samurai - Always Recruiting!  (Read 20261 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Nihon Nights: Tale of the Samurai - Always Recruiting!
« on: May 09, 2012, 06:07:51 pm »

Amid a flurry of cherry blossoms, a famed bushi and a wandering ronin assess each other's skills, each waiting for their time to strike.

Far below their feet, inside a subway car two courtiers discuss the going-ons in the Shogunate. One is unaware of the poison the other has slipped into his drink.

On the derelict tracks beside which their train runs, the disgraced samurai of a dying clan, on a quest to retrieve an ancestral heirloom, fends off the attacks of far less honorable opponents.

Welcome to Nihon Nights, a game set in an alternate and anachronistic reality resembling both the beginning of Japan's Edo period as well as the present day. In this game you may take on the role of a wandering samurai, a plotting courtier, a taoist monk, or any other role which you can imagine.

Your lovely GMs for this adventure are as follows:
-Thatkid (Head GM)
-Filiusenox (Co-GM)
-??? (Would you like to volunteer? Contact thatkid!)
As there are two GMs (with a maybe eventual third) we GMs will be playing alongside you (constructing plotlines and making rolls for each other). This was a rather difficult decision for me, as while I'm confident in my abilities to remain an impartial referee the fact still remains that others may not be. However, I only came up with this concept because I wanted to play it, so if you enjoy the game please thank Filius for agreeing to Co-GM: It wouldn't exist without him.

You can find the OOC thread here.

The beginning of the game takes place on an island roughly the size of real-world Japan's Hokkaido, itself part of a larger island chain roughly the size of real world japan. The technology level varies wildly: Cars and guns do not exist. Electricity runs through many buildings, though it is just as common to find a tavern or inn lit only by torch and lamp. Samurai clash beneath the neon lights of gambling dens and whilst dodging trains in the subway just as often as they duel beside bubbling streams and upon forlorn mountain paths.

Every character will begin in the village of Sumeru. At a cross-roads of sorts, though nevertheless still somewhat out of the way, Sumeru is a prime example of the anachronistic technology found in the world. Train tracks run through the center of the town, past fields of rice and an ancient temple. Sumeru is presently under the jurisdiction of a Daimyo of the Ryoshun Clan. Travelers come here from all over, and why you, specifically, have found your way to this place, whether as part of a journey or as the destination, is up to you.

Please Note: Starting May 25, 2012 6PM EST, new characters may start in any village/town/city/etc. which has recently been visited by another character in game. Please see the OP of the OOC thread for a list.

Much of the world has been left undefined, and so I will not be making any real attempt to fill you in on the flavor: As a player, you will be working alongside the GMs to do that.

Know this much: A civil war is beginning to wind down in the island nation of Nihon, the clear winner (at this point) being the Ryoshun Shogunate which has reunified many of the clans which populate the chain, often by force, much as they did about 200 years prior. As the civil war enters its 35th year, most of the fighting now takes place on some of the smaller islands and near the more remote coasts. The clans of the chain, both involved in the war and not, are innumerable, and within each could be any number of noble families, and associated schools and temples from which your character might have learned their skills.
Save for the few clans, families, temples, places, etc. that the GMs devise, the lore of this world will primarily be constructed by the players (though GMs maintain final say). This world will be what you make of it.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:09:45 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nihon Nights: Tale of the Samurai
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 06:08:07 pm »

On Character Creation:

Spoiler: School Creation Sheet (click to show/hide)
We will be using flavor-stripped Legends of the Five Rings rules. If you are familiar with the system, you may also construct your own character sheet. Homerules/bans are listed below. Otherwise, I will create your sheet for you based on the information in your application. If you make your own mechanical character sheet, please send them via PM to thatkid.
Similarly, if you are familiar with the system you may choose to tie your school or family (but not your clan) to L5R schools and families (which I'll be doing anyways when I make your sheet). Short descriptions of player-made families and schools (and related mechanics) will be listed in a later post. More in depth information can be found on the wikia, here.

You need not ask another player for permission to start as part of their family, clan or school. You do need to request permission to be directly related to them in some way (parent, sibling, best friend, mentor, student, etc.).

UPDATE 5/29/12- You may no longer make families for inclusion in the Ryoshun Clan. Sorry, folks.

Spoiler: Home Rules/Bans (click to show/hide)

FAQ
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Inspirations:
This roleplay's very existence was inspired largely by my watching Samurai Champloo.
Other shows and movies which may have some influence include Samurai Jack, Afro Samurai, and Samurai X/Rurouni Kenshin.
Movies include Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, and The Seven Samurai and its many derivatives.

If you want a game with a more Western feel, which pays at least some attention to historical accuracy, you should totally check out You Are King.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:20:08 pm by thatkid »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 06:08:53 pm »

Clans and Families
Ryoshun Shogunate
Spoiler: Ryoshun Clan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Genki Clan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Tōkaku Clan (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Taiyō Clan (click to show/hide)

Foreigners
Spoiler: Albion (click to show/hide)

Schools and Temples
Samurai Schools
Spoiler: Morikano Bushi (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Moretsu Family Dojo (click to show/hide)
Ronin Schools
Spoiler: A Nameless Temple (click to show/hide)
Ninja Schools
Spoiler: Kitsune Assassin (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kontonora Yami (click to show/hide)
Courtier Schools
Spoiler: Taiyō Courtier School (click to show/hide)

Foreign
Spoiler: The Queen's Academy (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2012, 07:25:02 pm by thatkid »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2012, 06:09:42 pm »

Aaand we're set.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 07:05:04 pm »

Spoiler: Character Sheet (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: School Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 07:39:05 pm by adwarf »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 07:24:35 pm »

Reading through the rules now. Will retroactively edit with character sheet. I don't want to spend the next two hours reading about the game and come back to post and find all character slots filled.

EDIT: Character sheet submitted via PM

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 07:28:47 pm »

Reading through the rules now. Will retroactively edit with character sheet. I don't want to spend the next two hours reading about the game and come back to post and find all character slots filled.
You don't need to worry about that. There are no slots, you just join (pending acceptance).

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2012, 10:17:54 pm »

Adwarf: Accepted. I'll send you a pm with your character sheet in a little while.

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2012, 01:03:36 am »

Spoiler: School Creation Sheet (click to show/hide)
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2012, 04:48:58 am »

I'm on an ipad right now, but this seems very intriguing. Reserved, watch this spot.

EDIT: And here we go.

Spoiler: The Character (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Family (click to show/hide)

Anything I should fix?
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:34:35 pm by Digital Hellhound »
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2012, 01:46:30 pm »

Shizume slowly walked across the rough dirt road before him, the feeling of nature all around him occasionally broken by the sounds of trains in the far distance, the trees around him are alive with the sounds of chirping birds, and a stream somewhere in the distance. As he walks the forest begins to open up before him, and he soon finds himself standing at the top of a small hill looking out at the sprawling town Sumeru, train tracks scar the center of the town, and dozens of houses are gathered around a collection of stores, markets, and official looking buildings centered around the train station in the center of town. Just before him, sprawled across the plains around the town various rice paddies stretch through the lands, marked by several houses, and warehouses that mark the life blood of Sumeru's agricultural area.

On the rough dirt roads running through the rice paddies peasants scrabble about trying to scratch out a life beneath the foot of the Ryoshun, in the far distance a collection of soldiers marches down the main road towards the center of Sumeru. At the sight Shizume sets off down the path towards the town, his robe flitting along the top of the ground, and the twin handles of his blades are ever present around his waist as he shuffles along the deep rutted road, where ages of carts have dug furrows into the ground. Peasants pass by him all around, some veering away at the sight of his blades, and others giving him short smiles before continuing on about their work, the entire time the town in all its misguided glory grows closer, and closer in the view before him. Rice Paddies give way to scattered farmer's houses, and warehouses which soon give way to the short flat grasslands beyond, and finally the town itself is upon him.

Houses are gathered all around the street as he begins to weave his way through the small groups of people scattered about, Shizume's aim is a small tavern not far in front of him, The Sun Blossom. The tavern itself had a sort of old-time charm that radiated from the look of it, but the building had began to fall into disrepair as the shutters hang loosely from the windows, and weeds began warily climb up the darker corner of the building. The tattered sign shook weakly in the morning breeze, and Shizume made his way into the building. What would happen this day was just the start he thought ...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2012, 03:07:58 pm »

Adwarf
The Sun Blossom, also known as the Sunny Bosom, if you were here for that incident,  is a moderately respected Tavern, down a back alley and through a hall. The place reeks of tobacco, sake, pine-scented deodorizer, and sweaty men and women, with a few motes of cherry blossoms, which litter the floor liberally
The main room is half-empty, a few shady men, wandering Ronin, Tricksters, Jugglers and unemployed drunks- sometimes all the same people- sit around in various states of inebriation, staring into their glasses and not making eye contact.

The barman is wiping out a glass with a clean rag, though he throws it down as you approach. His eyes watch you closely, one hand resting on something under the finished false wood bar, and he gives you a wide, false smile. "How could I help you, Ronin-san?"
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 03:22:59 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2012, 03:11:22 pm »

Lillipad and Digital: Accepted. I'll have your character sheets sent over in a bit, after I've made 'em.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2012, 03:18:33 pm »

Shizume took a wary glance to either side of him, and replied to the barkeep, "I'm looking for a place to stay for awhile, I have business in town, and this was the first place I saw. Whats the cost for to rent a room for two days?" Towards the end Shizume reflexively rubbed the palm of his hand across the handle of the sword before pulling out the small bag of coins in his pocket, and waiting for a reply.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 03:59:25 pm »

Here we go!

Spoiler: The Character (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The Family (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 08:10:27 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20