Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress.. Just not fun anymore?  (Read 19315 times)

zestorum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarf Fortress.. Just not fun anymore?
« on: May 11, 2012, 03:49:16 am »

Back in the 40d day, I just loved Dwarf Fortress.

I came back to it today, but it just isn't fun anymore? I find everything so tedious - watching dwarves explode just isn't fun or rewarding anymore.

Any tips for easing back into it?

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress.. Just not fun anymore?
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2012, 05:02:07 am »

Short of erasing your memory?

This is the way of life, I am sorry.

Ravenplucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2012, 05:06:57 am »

I go through Dwarf Fortress phases. One day I'll hear the calling and come back, but until then there's nothing I can do to force it.

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2012, 05:07:48 am »

Buy diablo3. Because you probably wont like playing df and need something else.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2012, 07:54:18 am »

I came back to it today, but it just isn't fun anymore? I find everything so tedious - watching dwarves explode just isn't fun or rewarding anymore.

I suggest liberal doses of magma.   Yep.... That's it; magma. Walk through it. Make !!SOCKS!!.  Have !!FUN!!

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 08:02:11 am »

You're just in a rut.  Have you found yourself building the same fortresses every time?  Try a mod, or a succession game, or a challenge fort.  Or take a break until minecarts are out and a few more bugs are fixed.  I believe I stopped playing for a good half year or so before the .34 was released.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 08:12:18 am »

Short of erasing your memory?
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mine?

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 08:27:33 am »

. . .  Or take a break until minecarts are out and a few more bugs are fixed.  I believe I stopped playing for a good half year or so before the .34 was released.

I know I took a break from .25 for a while, then waiting for a few iterations of .34 to be release before diving back in. I think if people are finding the new stuff (from 40d!) "tedious" then it isn't going to get better. That is the thing I really like about DF. The mega-micro-management possible. I remember one DF season that took two RL weeks to play because of all the little things I decided to try to do all at the same time to get this rather annoying noble (redundant) into just the right position for his gruesome and satisfying death. The next line in the announcements... Urist throws party at gabbro statue.  It was good.

Oh... MAGMA! =P

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 09:58:16 am »

I know I took a break from .25 for a while...

Just being a bit pedantic, but there was no version ".25" - there was 0.21-0.23 (2D), 0.27-0.28 (ending in 0.28.181.40d), 0.31, and 0.34. I'll assume you meant to say ".31[.25]".
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2012, 10:24:13 am »

Personally the interface is what hurts me the most...
Not the graphics, but the interface.  Blehh.
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2012, 11:13:15 am »

Sounds like it's megaproject time!  Build a temple to Armok out of iron and glass!  Drop prisoners fifty z levels onto a spiked altar!  And if any putz wastes a mood on an artifact earring, drown them in magma to show Armok's wrath!

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2012, 11:13:48 am »

take a break :]
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2012, 11:41:26 am »

Try using mods. IT 000 saved me, I own my beard to him  :D
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2012, 11:42:21 am »

40d had a nice balance to it with bottomless pits and lots of magma pipes and chasms to play with. The move to underground caverns is a good move, but with other elements threw off the balance a fair bit as you now usually need to work pretty hard to get to magma, and deal with underground lakes and junk. Same thing happened in the move to 3D, IMO. It was too sandboxy at first and took Toady a while to get some balance in it, as well as took us some time to invent our own challenges.

The addition of vampires and evil biomes that really live up to their name is a really strong move, and I think with the hauling fixes and carts added, something of a balance will get back. It should get a lot easier to do the fun stuff that we like to do. I'd wait until the next version. I think it'll be a winner once the immediate bugs are shaken out.

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2012, 11:50:50 am »

I'll echo the take a break advice.  I'm currently waiting for the minecarts before playing it again.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4