Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Potential wagon science  (Read 1309 times)

Talonj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Potential wagon science
« on: May 13, 2012, 03:57:30 pm »

I've recently gotten back into DF, and I decided to make a monstrous spiral pathway down to my magma forges for wagons to travel down.

I made a temp fort to test out some spiral ramp designs, and while tweaking some of the better ones I realized that some of the ramps were no longer pathable. It turns out that wagons can utilize broken ramps, and a compact 3x4 column can take a wagon down any number of z-levels.

Obviously, this is a cheap bug and will not be used in my fort, but has anyone else noticed this? Do I need to report this on the tracker? I've never used mantis before, but some quick searches on it don't turn up anything resembling this bug.

For those who want to use this in the meantime, here is what I came up with. I tested it, and currently have wagons sitting at the bottom of a shaft like this that is not actually accessible to dwarves
Code: [Select]
z0 -
.V..
.V..
.V..

z-1 -
XAV.
XAV.
XAV.

z-2 -
.VAX
.VAX
.VAX

Repeat z-1 and z-2 ad infinitum

Legend:
. = floor
V = down ramp (AKA open space)
A = up ramp
X = wall

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Potential wagon science
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 04:00:53 pm »

It's known. Currently wagons can go up inaccessible ramps, but can't go straight on a level with ramps in the road. Dwarves and other invaders follow the opposite rules, being unable to go up broken ramps but being able to go through ramps that are broken.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Talonj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Potential wagon science
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 04:36:13 pm »

Built a quick field of ramps, and it seems that at least part of it was fixed - Wagons appear to be perfectly capable of traversing over orphaned up ramps.