Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fell mood; no murder...?  (Read 8606 times)

Fell mood; no murder...?
« on: May 12, 2012, 12:46:02 am »

For the first time, I got a dwarf in the "fell" mood. I had to look it up because the message was new to me. It said they would murder the nearest guy after claiming the butcher or tanner. He claimed a tanner, and I feared for the life of the clothier, but he immediately began his mysterious construction right after unpausing from the workshop takeover.

Now, there WAS a guy who had died of thirst found only seconds before this dwarf went into his mood. Is it possible that he found the body, got an idea, and then took the corpse to make some sinister object?

EDIT: Nevermind. It seems he DID murder the clothier. I only noticed after a miasma started bellowing from within the clothier's shop. It never even told me the dwarf had died!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:48:14 am by TheCoolSideofthePIllow »

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fell mood; no murder...?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 02:10:19 am »

It never even told me the dwarf had died!
It does not anymore, if there're no witnesses. However, a victim of fell mood should have been dragged to tanner's to become an artifact thong or something, not rot in his own clothier's shop.
Could you hover 't' over tanner's workshop with moody dwarf to see what are his ingredients?

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 02:42:27 am »

There's a "Urist So-and-so has been missing for a week" in case nobody finds the body. So you would have heard, sooner or later.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 05:31:52 am »

Could also be because the dwarves ignore the consequences of fell mood murders. No jailtime for that.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 07:14:58 am »

Temporary insanity is always a valid legal defense.

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 10:00:37 am »

And, if the result is a really nice leather sock, menacing with spikes of leather, then, clearly, the dwarf in question died for a good cause.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 11:01:25 am »

And, if the result is a really nice leather sock, menacing with spikes of leather, then, clearly, the dwarf in question died for a good cause.
After all, what dwarf wouldn't want to become a sock?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Niyazov

• Bay Watcher
  • shovel them under and let me work - I am the grass
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 11:59:06 am »

Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 03:17:34 pm »

Temporary insanity is always a valid legal defense.
It is if you're a dorf. In real life it has maybe a 1-2% success rate. It's a real last resort. Well, it is here in the US anyway. Usually if you're crazy and you commit a crime they just convict you and put you in the prison hospital ward. Probably because "crazy" and "homicidal" are two different things. Well, if you're human. If you're a dwarf, they're the default state, and fell moods are just a slight increase in the usual state of affairs.

I've never had a fell mood. I'm kind of jealous, honestly. I wish there were a way to trigger them safely.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 07:22:34 pm »

I've never had a fell mood. I'm kind of jealous, honestly. I wish there were a way to trigger them safely.
Safe enviroment fell moods? What are we, elfs?
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 07:55:18 pm »

Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Sigged.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 06:57:09 pm »

Safe enviroment fell moods? What are we, elfs?
Well, you want to trigger them without sending the dwarf insane before he becomes too miserable, right? You don't get your fell mood if he's running around throwing his clothes all over the place.