Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: Nihon Nights: OOC - Always Recruiting!  (Read 19327 times)

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Nihon Nights: OOC
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 11:22:15 pm »

No. Clans would be comprised solely of the leaders of the families. The families themselves are considered a "part" of the clan, but not members of the clan itself by my interpretation. So however many families are a part of the clan, is exactly how many members are in the clan.
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 11:26:23 pm »

How is that not an alliance?

Lillipad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2012, 11:35:10 pm »

Because almost every single group can be defined as an alliance?
Quote from: BaerTaffy
If Adele covered Aerosmith, that would be my life right now.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2012, 11:46:28 pm »

Keep in mind that even under this not-technically-historically accurate system, not every clan (particularly the myriad minor clans) could or should consist of more than one family, and vassals are still their own clans.
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2012, 02:23:06 am »

not-technically-historically accurate system

...yeah.

Ok, guys...I went back to the rulebook to try to figure this out, and I think I have an answer.

Not only did they Not Do The Research, they Just Didn't Care that they didn't do the research.

Apparently, according to L5R canon, which appears to be strangely bowdlerised mix and match of mostly Greek and Norse mythology and some other stuff with the names (mostly) changed out to sound more Japanese, a "clan" is an alliance of human families under the banner of Hestia, Demeter, Hera, Hades, Poseidon and Thor various children of the titans gods. The Emperor is Zeus Hantei, and they're all the sons and daughters of Rhea and Cronus Lady Sun and Lord Moon. And they needed one more to get eight so the 8th clan is ruled by Loki the evil brother.  Oh, also since they apparently wanted an obvious stand-in for the christian devil bad guy, they put in the Nothing from Neverending Story the Nothing from L5R.

It all starts with the first several children of Cronus Lord Moon and Rhea Lady Sun being eaten by Cronus Lord Moon. So Rhea Lady Sun tricks her husband into eating a stone instead of Zeus Hantei, who is raised by the goat Amalthea various animals, grows up and fights with Cronus Lord Moon to retrieve his brothers and sisters from his belly. During the battle he cuts Cronus Lord Moon apart, and his blood and semen only his blood falls to the earth to create Aphrodite, giants and some other stuff humans.

At this point they decided that humans needed to be ruled, so they met up with Goku at the World Tournament left Tengoku together and fought in a tournament to see who was the strongest who would get to rule the world. Zeus Hantei won the tournament, so they decided that he now ruled the entire world an arbitrary corner of one continent that from looking at the map is obviously not the entire world. So he divided it up into different tax zones areas and told Hera, Hades, Poseidon and the other gods his brothers and sisters that they could rule these tax zones areas and to pay him taxes a tithe on the labor of the humans who lived there, whether they liked it or not.

And that's how Equestria Rokugan was made.

That's the abbreviated version. There are also some guest appearances by the Norns, Odin and the Yggdrasil tree, a genderswapped version of the Hindu Lord Shiva (complete with four arms, but with three faces instead of five), a pre-human Naga empire that reminds me an awful lot of the one from World of Warcraft, a bastardized Bushido code that honestly reminds me of the eight virtues from Ultima except with humility removed, and some other stuff that's all blatant rip-offs of all sorts of things.

But short answer, according to canon, "families" are clans/families/great houses, and "clans" are the political units created by the gods dividing up the world amongst themselves, with any humans living in their designated zones considered their vassals.

I vote we forget about all that and go with what we have.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2012, 02:33:49 am »

Technically, we're supposed to be ignoring all of the flavor from L5R anyway, which makes me wonder why you reference Rokugan and Edo in your post.  :P
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2012, 03:06:40 am »

Edo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edo

Rokugan

...it was originally written "Keiko rides sidesaddle into the village on a small pony. A small and lovely girl, she wears an expensive-looking pink floral-print kimono" After a re-read it looked strange having the word "small" show up twice in two sentences so close together, so I changed "small pony" to "Rokugani pony." And then apparently changed "small and lovely girl" to "lithe and lovely" so it wasn't necessary.

Anyway, Rokugani has been removed.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2012, 03:15:59 am »

I know what Edo is, I was just implying that it wasn't necessarily the name of the capital in this game... though you're coming up with the Imperial family and the land is technically called japan anyway, so whatever.  :P

Also, character is FINALLY done, even though it's not the one I started with and I ended up abandoning a couple giant walls of text... and coming up with a bushi anyway.  :P (don't panic, thatkid, i'll still throw in a clan)

ED: to clarify, throwing the app up tomorrow after i finish the aforementioned clan, since i stayed up till after 3 am working on the char :P
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:23:13 am by HailFire »

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2012, 03:40:01 am »

I know what Edo is, I was just implying that it wasn't necessarily the name of the capital in this game... though you're coming up with the Imperial family and the land is technically called japan anyway, so whatever.  :P

Also, character is FINALLY done, even though it's not the one I started with and I ended up abandoning a couple giant walls of text... and coming up with a bushi anyway.  :P (don't panic, thatkid, i'll still throw in a clan)

ED: to clarify, throwing the app up tomorrow after i finish the aforementioned clan, since i stayed up till after 3 am working on the char :P

I thought the place you were at was called Nihon.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2012, 04:28:41 am »

That would be Japan.

It's a romanization issue. The actual name is 日本. But how do you transliterate those characters into english? Well...depends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan
"Japan  (Japanese: 日本 Nihon or Nippon; formally 日本国 Nippon-koku or Nihon-koku, literally the State of Japan)"

The word "Japan" as you would pronounce it isn't what the Japanese call their country. You can't even say "Japan" in Japanese as you would pronounce the word in English. The vowel sounds don't exist. If a native Japanese speaker were to rattle off a dozen "Japanese words" that you think you know, like anime, Japan, shogun, samurai, ninja...you probably wouldn't even recognize that they were saying those words because the pronunciation is so different. Read this word out loud: "ninjutsu." How many syllables does it have? Wrong. It has two. How many of those syllables rhyme with the word "sin?" Wrong. None of them do. But the way these words are actually pronounced in Japanese is so awkward for a native English speaker that we've changed them when we adopted them into English. That works both ways. How many syllables does the word "Christmas" have when you say it? Two? In Japanese it has five because they can't say it in two. Whereas try to read this word in Russian: zdravstvuyte. That's three syllables, and "zdravst" is only one, and unlike French, you do pronounce all the letters. The sounds of different languages are different. Not just the letters. This is why people have accents.

Nihon and Nippon are both attempts to render in English characters the sounds of the name of the country we call Japan as they are pronounced in the language we call Japanese.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2012, 04:29:32 am »

Do we actually get to see LordBucket's PM'd character sheet? I do be intrigued.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2012, 04:33:44 am »

That would be Japan.

It's a romanization issue. The actual name is 日本. But how do you transliterate those characters into english? Well...depends.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan
"Japan  (Japanese: 日本 Nihon or Nippon; formally 日本国 Nippon-koku or Nihon-koku, literally the State of Japan)"

The word "Japan" as you would pronounce it isn't what the Japanese call their country. You can't even say "Japan" in Japanese as you would pronounce the word in English. The vowel sounds don't exist. If a native Japanese speaker were to rattle off a dozen "Japanese words" that you think you know, like anime, Japan, shogun, samurai, ninja...you probably wouldn't even recognize that they were saying those words because the pronunciation is so different. Read this word out loud: "ninjutsu." How many syllables does it have? Wrong. It has two. How many of those syllables rhyme with the word "sin?" Wrong. None of them do. But the way these words are actually pronounced in Japanese is so awkward for a native English speaker that we've changed them when we adopted them into English. That works both ways. How many syllables does the word "Christmas" have when you say it? Two? In Japanese it has five because they can't say it in two. Whereas try to read this word in Russian: zdravstvuyte. That's three syllables, and "zdravst" is only one, and unlike French, you do pronounce all the letters. The sounds of different languages are different. Not just the letters. This is why people have accents.

Nihon and Nippon are both attempts to render in English characters the sounds of the name of the country we call Japan as they are pronounced in the language we call Japanese.

Well the character I was gonna play, and I did get permission to play as him. Was going to be "British", but come from Albion and not Great Britain, which is an archaic term for the island that England and Scotland are on.  But I think I'll just watch for now.  And it's not like Nihon is Japan, it's just Japan like, and also has the same name.. technically.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2012, 04:39:15 am »

deleted

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2012, 10:54:20 am »

Finally, my app:

Spoiler: Character App (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Clan/Family App (click to show/hide)

ED: Yes, hyphens and semicolons are my source of power.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:04:43 am by HailFire »

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2012, 12:17:54 pm »

If we're putting in character sheets here I might as well put mine up. It hasn't received official approval yet (though that's not surprising, since I sent it in late last night), but, if any changes need to be made, I'll edit them in here later.

Spoiler: Moretsu Kenage (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Morestu Family (click to show/hide)

I sent this all in one PM, since I wasn't sure whether thatkid wanted them together or separate, so I decided to go with the option that would lead to less unread messages in his inbox.

EDIT: I also made and sent off this school, which, though my character doesn't actually use, I felt it was important for me to make. Also I sent off an addendum to my family application, the changes are shown above in brackets.

Spoiler: Moretsu Family Dojo (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 03:13:55 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16