Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: Nihon Nights: OOC - Always Recruiting!  (Read 19321 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Nihon Nights: OOC
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2012, 06:29:16 pm »

Dwarfinton: Accepted.

I'm going to look at the rest in the following order: Hailfire, Kadzar, LordBucket.

LordBucket, the reason I'm looking at yours last is because there is a LOT of info, and I'd like to get everyone else done before I set into it.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2012, 07:32:03 am »

I've been thinking about these strange tactics and weapons the Morikano use while waiting for an update, so. It's pretty interesting doing technology-heavy arms... with no guns.

Anyhow - breakwire/boltwire; Morikano get their hands on a lot of metal/other conductive material wire or pipe, set it down the lenght of the battlefield, fix it up to a generator or two (I imagine you couldn't get a great charge with just muscle power, so you'd need several), take positions. When the enemy charges, they'll step on the hidden charged metal and get shocked with electricity - while not lethally, atleast usually, it would do wonders to momentum and unit cohesion, allowing for a devastating counter-charge. Even if you just set it right in front of your lines it could be pretty effective. 

That said, my character will probably never use any of that. Damn traditionalism. Plus I have no idea how this would be represented in ingame terms.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2012, 12:26:33 pm »

Should we post character sheets here? or in the IC, still on the fence of if I want to join this.
Post them here now. I should probably get around to updating the OPs.

That said, my character will probably never use any of that. Damn traditionalism. Plus I have no idea how this would be represented in ingame terms.
I'm actually setting up a wiki for information like this. Stay tuned!

Kadzar, Hailfire, and Lordbucket have all been accepted.
Remember: If you've been accepted, it's your job to make the first post unless you ask File or I reeeeal nicely.

Going to work on replying to everyone in the IC thread in a little bit.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2012, 09:30:04 pm »

From what he could gather he challenged the executioner because a vagrant was being put to the blade. The reason for the execution, from what he could gather, was because the man tripped into a person that was high up the social ladder. If that was a crime that was enforced everywhere then Ted would already be dead

It's not that it's a "crime" so much as that the peasant has no rights.

Tokugawa era legal system:
"In fact samurai had the right to kill any peasant at will who had offended them."

Crime and punishment in medieval Japan
"In medieval Japan, there was not even a pretense of equal justice for all. Civil rights didn’t exist."

"The samurai, who were the ruling class, enjoyed many privileges.  They could kill a peasant to test a new sword and walk away."

Japanese history
"Samurai warriors could and would execute peasants for any reason."

executioner

Incidentally, he's not an executioner. He is samurai. Calling him an executioner would be an insult worse than calling him a peasant.

HailFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2012, 09:38:55 pm »

Of course, it was still polite to pay the hinin who had to drag the corpse away.

ED: Okay, apparently the correct term would be eta; didn't know there were multiple terms for the people at the bottom of the caste system. :P
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:44:45 pm by HailFire »
[22:59] <apotheoseGrifter> COMMIT SUDOKU ALL NIGHT LONG FUCK YEAH
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am here.
[18:14] <The_Gamemaster> I am always here.
[18:15] <The_Gamemaster> I have always been here, and I always will be here. I am the alpha and the omega, the beginning and the end.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2012, 10:06:48 pm »

From what he could gather he challenged the executioner because a vagrant was being put to the blade. The reason for the execution, from what he could gather, was because the man tripped into a person that was high up the social ladder. If that was a crime that was enforced everywhere then Ted would already be dead

It's not that it's a "crime" so much as that the peasant has no rights.

Tokugawa era legal system:
"In fact samurai had the right to kill any peasant at will who had offended them."

Crime and punishment in medieval Japan
"In medieval Japan, there was not even a pretense of equal justice for all. Civil rights didn’t exist."

"The samurai, who were the ruling class, enjoyed many privileges.  They could kill a peasant to test a new sword and walk away."

Japanese history
"Samurai warriors could and would execute peasants for any reason."

executioner

Incidentally, he's not an executioner. He is samurai. Calling him an executioner would be an insult worse than calling him a peasant.
There is Bushido, and then there is a further sense of personal honor that may go above and beyond that.
If Ted feels that it is unjust to kill a peasant for such a small slight, and that it would be dishonorable to stand by and do nothing while such an unjust act takes place, then he is, arguably, being honorable regardless of what the ~~real japanese~~ law says. Especially since that law, I might remind you, may not even exist in our setting. Since we are, I will remind you again, not using the real world. Whoa. Holy shit. I'm sure that's a mindfuck for you.

And if he's executing someone then he is, by very definition of the word, an executioner.

Since I'm already on a roll here, I'm going to just reply to your PM as well:

In the character creation post, you mentioned builds up to 120 starting xp. I didn't precisely count in the revision, but I'm pretty sure I was way under the limit.
If you had read that section of the post, which I'm guessing you did not, you would have also seen that you were asked to wait before statting up your character so that you could be informed as to whether you even had starting exp over 40. You clearly didn't read anything in the OP posts, however because...

From your response after my first character submission I was under the impression you weren't too concerned about the math, so I stripped all status and glory modifiers, removed the status bonus from the Imperial Spouse advantage and simply assigned these things based on background by looking at the chart of page 97 of the manual. An "average" imperial family samurai has a status of 3. I thought that was a pretty fair comparative given her background.
If you had, you'd know that I was only ignoring the L5R flavor and that I was not ignoring any aspect of the mechanics. So you would still have to start with Status and Glory 1, without advantages effecting them or GM fiat which you totally didn't wait for.

Of course,
Based on them how? The original character was a Dragon/Kitsuki, but you asked me to customize these. With all the flavor stripped, the skills, background and technique changed, only a single skill emphasis rather than two and no investigator skill at all...the only thing she still has in common with Kitsuki is that she happens to be a courtier. There are plenty of other family/school combinations that start with 6.5 honor. Kakita Bushi, Jodi Courtier, Asahina Shugenja, Daidoh warrior, etc.
You seem to think that being given permission to change a L5R school's flavor also gives you permission to alter some other things without discussing it with me first. In the case of your changes to skills, that's pretty much A-Ok. However as far as honor goes, and you decided to pick a fight over it here even though I said it was OK, you should have asked.

If it's really an issue I can add those things back in, replace the status and glory advantages that were in the original character submission...but since this is a completely custom clan and family and the nature of the imperial family that we have is different from canon...upon what are we basing the starting points? I chose values that I thought were reasonable based on her background from looking at the descriptions of those values in the manual. What's the point of arbitrarily assigning starting values that are lower than would be expected for the clan/family/character background and then using advantages to bring them back up?
Do that.
You have 40 exp, barring bonuses from disadvantages. Your school is as described in the post listing schools on the IC thread, complete with the 6.5 Honor you so desire. If you want higher glory or status, you need to either earn it through play or buy the relevant advantages.

And one last thing:
You are not the GM, do not presume to tell other players what they can and cannot do within the setting.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 10:22:37 pm »

You are not the GM, do not presume to tell other players
what they can and cannot do within the setting.

I wasn't telling him what he could or couldn't do. I was explaining the values dissonance of the situation based on real world rather than game world history.

stuff

...look, I'm picking up a lot of general unpleasantness here. If you have such a problem with having me here, if you have such a problem with having a player who's familiar with Japan, and relevant history, if you have such a problem with a player who took the time to get the sourcebook, read the thing, make and revise a character, has been providing links and information to players, translating names and everything else...and after all that you're going to go all passive aggressive on me and whine and complain and insult me in the public thread rather than respond via PM, that's fine. I don't really need to play.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2012, 10:30:32 pm »

...look, I'm picking up a lot of general unpleasantness here. If you have such a problem with having me here, if you have such a problem with having a player who's familiar with Japan, and relevant history, if you have such a problem with a player who took the time to get the sourcebook, read the thing, make and revise a character, has been providing links and information to players, translating names and everything else...and after all that you're going to go all passive aggressive on me and whine and complain and insult me in the public thread rather than respond via PM, that's fine. I don't really need to play.
I have a problem with the fact that you seem to think knowledge of real world history gives you the right to lord yourself over other players. There are other players here who are knowledgeable in such things who I'm not going to drag into this. The difference is that they don't immediately jump on anyone who does something that isn't historically kosher in an anachronistic and fictional setting.
If you don't want to play, don't. We don't really need you to play.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2012, 10:40:29 pm »

I have a problem with the fact that you seem to think knowledge of real world history gives you the right to lord yourself over other players.

I read this post you're replying to and I just see don't anything in there "lording myself" over other players.

Who exactly am I "jumping" on?

And honestly, it seems awfully fucking hypocritical of you to be accusing me of jumping on people after your last post.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2012, 10:41:27 pm »

I have a problem with the fact that you seem to think knowledge of real world history gives you the right to lord yourself over other players.

I read this post you're replying to and I just see don't anything in there "lording myself" over other players.

Who exactly am I "jumping" on?

And honestly, it seems awfully fucking hypocritical of you to be accusing me of jumping on people after your last post.
I'm not continuing this discussion. You aren't welcome in this game. Goodbye.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 11:29:12 pm »

Spoiler:  Character and Family (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: School (click to show/hide)

Hopefully my character can translate to the system you're using.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 11:39:37 pm »

Hmh, Kadzar, perhaps you could use protection in the form of a Ryushon samurai on your trip to the court? Once I get this militia training thing dealt with, of course.
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ¡No parmesan!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2012, 12:53:23 am »

Well that sounds nice, though I don't how necessary that would be, in-game, since I can't imagine a train ride being or sounding dangerous. If I receive some sort of threat on my life, maybe. I guess this seems like the sort of thing we should let develop naturally during the course of the game.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2012, 01:16:33 am »

Well that sounds nice, though I don't how necessary that would be, in-game, since I can't imagine a train ride being or sounding dangerous. If I receive some sort of threat on my life, maybe. I guess this seems like the sort of thing we should let develop naturally during the course of the game.

Someone's never seen Baccano!  Which is understandable really.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2012, 01:29:46 am »

Someone's never seen Baccano!  Which is understandable really.
I'm sure someone has, but it's certainly not me.

EDIT: Wait, you said never. Accursed negatives! But, yeah, your average train ride isn't something one would naturally seek protection for. Even if some stories feature such things, there's not yet any reason in-character for me to seek out a bodyguard.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:02:48 pm by Kadzar »
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16