Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: add wear to stockpiles for cloathing.  (Read 6709 times)

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
add wear to stockpiles for cloathing.
« on: May 08, 2012, 07:24:19 pm »

and shirts, I don't see shirts(and other upper bodywear) in the stockpile list either.
Adding wear (x xx X XX etc) to stockpiles will make the current clothing issues a lot more manageable.

kinda hoping toady will see this while he's still messing with hauling and stockpiles...

Gutierrez

• Bay Watcher
  • Hauling Ash
    • View Profile
Re: add wear to stockpiles for cloathing.
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2012, 12:06:46 pm »

Seconded, with clothes affecting mood and clothes never really being consumed, this leads to an explosion of the items that really have to be micromanaged tediously.  I have to specify dumps on individual items in the stocks or trade all my clothes and stumble my way through selling them off one by one.

Organizing the old out would allow you to push them to a trading stockpile, or move them together for mass magma dumping or smashing.

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2012, 04:17:01 pm »

thirded
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 01:13:38 am »

I must be one of the few without an issue with this...

My dwarves seem to replace clothing on their own (often taking it from invaders if what they're wearing is damaged) or taking it out of clothing stockpiles themselves.  I've seen a few of my military dwarves ditch "damaged" armor as well.  Granted they leave it on the ground and it goes NOWHERE after that...

It can be tedious to locate it, designate it for dumping, then once it's dumped reclaim it so it goes to a proper stockpile...  But I have yet to find it horribly irritating.

Perhaps a better solution to the "damaged clothing" issue would be either setting a garbage stockpile to take the clothes...  Or to automatically have them dumped into a bin in a "finished goods" stockpile for trading.

I'd prefer them automatically being dumped into the "refuse" stockpile...  But being able to designate them to other stockpiles for trading would be excellent as well.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 03:06:55 pm »

fourthed.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 01:56:17 pm »

fifthed.    This would really help when having to sell them at the trade depot.

Ribs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 10:45:53 am »

I think the real problem was that most of the "(x xx X XX etc)" clothing was owned by somebody, and just abandoned and impossible to haul. Toady tried to solve this by making abandoned clothing lose their ownership after some time. But a special option that would make custom stockpiles consider not only he quality, but the wear of an object wouldn't hurt either.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 03:50:18 pm »

I think the real problem was that most of the "(x xx X XX etc)" clothing was owned by somebody, and just abandoned and impossible to haul. Toady tried to solve this by making abandoned clothing lose their ownership after some time. But a special option that would make custom stockpiles consider not only he quality, but the wear of an object wouldn't hurt either.
Not just for clothing either, come to think of it. Weapons and armour will be susceptible to wear eventually, as well as containers and possibly certain other kinds of furniture.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 05:25:53 pm »

It is already in the game, quality menu.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 05:31:23 pm »

I'm all about this!

Also, in response to Corai:

a) The quality on stockpile customization only goes down to normal.

b) Wear doesn't relate to quality. You can have a masterfully crafted sock made from masterfully made cloth masterfully dyed with redroot dye that is still worn to rags. They are two different systems.

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 05:34:03 pm »

I'm all about this!

Also, in response to Corai:

a) The quality on stockpile customization only goes down to normal.

b) Wear doesn't relate to quality. You can have a masterfully crafted sock made from masterfully made cloth masterfully dyed with redroot dye that is still worn to rags. They are two different systems.

Ah, my apologies.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

D34dlock

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2012, 06:38:59 pm »

Would being able to set the wear amount & content of such a refuse pile be a good idea?

Are the (x xx X XX) named? should they be? If not would used for x, well worn for xx, ragged for X, & tattered for XX, be good names? Would other names be needed for other types of objects?

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2012, 06:58:33 pm »

Would being able to set the wear amount & content of such a refuse pile be a good idea?
I can't see many players needing separate refuse piles for clothing that's totally wrecked versus clothing that might still have a little wear in it if you were really desperate, but a way to set fortress-wide standards for how worn out cast-off clothing has to be before it gets tossed would be nice, at least pending the implementation of the ability to wash and mend clothes.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2012, 07:19:37 pm »

As it stands, dwarves need to be more discerning ("Urist McRandom says: "xCLOTHINGx!? THIS WILL NOT DO! I SHALL THROW IT ON THE MOUNTAIN OF REFUSE!"). or possibly less discerning… ("Urist McRandom says: "XXClothingXX!? TO THE PILE IT GOES!").

Tai_MT

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2012, 09:22:34 pm »

I have found that as long as there is something to REPLACE the damaged clothing, the Dwarves will automatically strip off their damaged stuff and immediately put on the new threads.  So it's basically just designating clothing workshops to making everything at all times of day so that damaged clothes are automatically and quickly discarded for newer and shinier stuff.

I've also noticed that if Dwarves have containers in their rooms (like cabinets and the like) they will more often than not ditch their damaged clothes into these containers instead of on the ground where they need to be dumped.

This mitigates the problem somewhat...  But doesn't quite fix it.  Clothing should, at some point, go to a refuse stockpile.  At least with damaged weapons and armors they can be melted down for a fraction of a bar...  Clothing...  It can only rot away.

I'd say that dwarves at the instant of ditching the damaged clothing, should immediately dump it in a refuse stockpile.  Especially when most rock trinkets sell for higher than even a masterwork XXclothingXX item.

Perhaps also add in conjuction to this feature... Traders that eventually REFUSE to take damaged clothing because they don't want your garbage anymore than you do.
Elves aren't environmentalists, they're the smartest businessmen ever created in Dwarf Fortress.  Think about it, the only plants they want you to use are the ones they supply.  They even go so far as to attack you for producing too much lumber of your own.  They're not hippies, they're violent businessmen!