Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Age specific effects?  (Read 1750 times)

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Age specific effects?
« on: February 28, 2013, 11:23:56 pm »

If I wanted to make it so that, say, babies born in an evil biome were transformed into ghouls, could I make it so that the biome only transformed babies or is that   not yet possible?
"Karl Marx: Family jewels"
"Everyone's equally less rich than me!"
Quote from: Lezard
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
Re: Age specific effects?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 11:30:18 pm »

Nope.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2013, 11:40:07 pm »

crud.
...although I've been having so much fun failing at this I just about forgot what my original aim was.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 01:00:33 pm »

I think you could do this with a bit of a workaround, though it wouldn't have any effect in world generation and you might get a bit of weirdness with new migrants where they would be vulnerable to being transformed until they had been at your fortress for the set amount of "vulnerable" time (so if your interaction only effected dwarves for the first year of their life then migrants would be vulnerable for the first year). Also any traders or liasons would be vulnerable as well.

Basically what you do is give dwarves a dwarf targeting interaction with zero cooldown. This interaction does 2 things:
1)It instantly applies a harmless syndrome with a class called VULNERABLE.
2)After the period of time you want them to be vulnerable (say a year) the first syndrome wears off and a second harmless syndrome with a class called IMMUNE is applied permanently.
This interaction cannot target creatures that have either the VULNERABLE or IMMUNE syndromes, to stop dwarves from spamming the interaction.

Have your "ghoul conversion" reaction be unable to target creatures with the IMMUNE syndrome class. (You will want this interaction to either have a low chance of triggering, or to have a rare frequency so that all of your dwarves aren't turned into ghouls in their window of vulnerability.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Spy227X

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 09:39:42 pm »

I think you could do this with a bit of a workaround, though it wouldn't have any effect in world generation and you might get a bit of weirdness with new migrants where they would be vulnerable to being transformed until they had been at your fortress for the set amount of "vulnerable" time (so if your interaction only effected dwarves for the first year of their life then migrants would be vulnerable for the first year). Also any traders or liasons would be vulnerable as well.

Basically what you do is give dwarves a dwarf targeting interaction with zero cooldown. This interaction does 2 things:
1)It instantly applies a harmless syndrome with a class called VULNERABLE.
2)After the period of time you want them to be vulnerable (say a year) the first syndrome wears off and a second harmless syndrome with a class called IMMUNE is applied permanently.
This interaction cannot target creatures that have either the VULNERABLE or IMMUNE syndromes, to stop dwarves from spamming the interaction.

Have your "ghoul conversion" reaction be unable to target creatures with the IMMUNE syndrome class. (You will want this interaction to either have a low chance of triggering, or to have a rare frequency so that all of your dwarves aren't turned into ghouls in their window of vulnerability.)
The original seven are also vulnerable
Is this freshwater or saltwater? Because alternatively you could breed a large amount of crocodiles and unleash them into the waters... indirect genocide.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 10:10:17 pm »

Make alcohol give the INMUNE syndrome. SInce babies don't drink, they will be vulnerable until they become childs. All adults will be
inmune since their first drink.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 03:04:27 pm »

Science has now concluded that rampant drunkenness prevents SIGS (Sudden Infant Ghoul Syndrome).
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2013, 04:01:51 pm »

In a test of ghouls as a seprat entity (I put them in the dwarf cive insted of dwarves) I found that, as per their NOT_LIVING status, the undead leave them alone. however, much like how dwarves will run from groundhogs ghouls will run from zombie pecock skins.

Make alcohol give the INMUNE syndrome. SInce babies don't drink, they will be vulnerable until they become childs. All adults will be
but what about migrants and the starting 7? wont they be at risk until the first time they get thirsty?
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 04:22:19 pm by kopout »

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2013, 06:37:29 pm »

In a test of ghouls as a seprat entity (I put them in the dwarf cive insted of dwarves) I found that, as per their NOT_LIVING status, the undead leave them alone. however, much like how dwarves will run from groundhogs ghouls will run from zombie pecock skins.

but what about migrants and the starting 7? wont they be at risk until the first time they get thirsty?
i have a theroical workaround for that
First the syndrome only gives a ALMOST_VULNERABLE syndrome (not sure if this is needed) for a half year then it gives VULNERABLE , then if till then they have not drunk alcohol (wich would give IMMUNE syndrome) they will transform => so no male dwarfes will transform but babies dont drink 'till they become child (more then a half year)
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2013, 03:26:09 pm »

Here are the ghouls as they are now. I still havent made the interaction to turn babies into them.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
what do you guys think?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2013, 06:33:38 pm »

Hairless :P

Also, you may want to rename it to something less... dupe-raw-y. Knight Otu has K_O_(letter representing mod)_CREATURENAME, for example; I just have CREATURENAME_MODID or CREATURENAME_PUTNAM. You can do whatever you feel like. It's not required, just good etiquette.

kopout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2013, 06:56:57 pm »

For compatibility with other mods? Hadn't thought of that.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2013, 12:36:24 pm »

I have a suggestion: Take away their breeding ability. It seems strange to me to have a ghoul make babies.

Also, you misspelled corpse.  8)
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0