Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.09 Released  (Read 40301 times)

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.09 Released
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2012, 02:56:55 pm »

Well the Depot was accessible to begin with, otherwise the wagon would not have pulled in in the first place.  And, I designed my entrance the same way I always design my entrance, and the wagons always just rolled over traps in the past.

I will Shift+D when I get home, to be thorough.  But all I'm saying is that, if it is inaccesible, now, it wasn't until after I upgraded to .09.

M_So

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 18, 2012, 05:42:58 pm »

Is their a way to hook a wheelbarrow to a workshop? If not I think that would be really nice so I would not need my stone stockpiles right next to my workshops. 
Your fortress lived happily ever after. A winner is you!
Press Enter to close window...

Hamsmagoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 18, 2012, 07:50:46 pm »

OK.  Confirmed it.

Traps block wagon access.  Wagons cannot move over tiles with traps on them.

I'm pretty sure it wasn't always like this.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 18, 2012, 11:43:28 pm »

I approve of the secret change. 

Still easy to create drawbriges for alternate invader paths full of traps but it isn't as mindless anymore.  I suppose it would be an easy matter for the dwarves to tell the traders where the traps are, so they can step around them or whatever, but a wagon would not be able to do that.  So they block wagon access.  Makes sense.

Better than one they did in one particular version anyway.  Back when the merchants would actually set the traps off as they passed them.  *evil grin*
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Bodyless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2012, 12:36:34 pm »

just noticed that bins (and boxes for hospitals) dont seem to have any limit on how much they can contain. or the is limit a lot higher than before?

EDIT:
What is annoying is that hauler will bring the container even is there is only one hauling job. sometimes making them run 3 times as far, in case of harvesting (harvest at farm>go to stockpile>back to farm with barrel>bring barrel+plant to stockpile)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 12:40:20 pm by Bodyless »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2012, 10:43:00 pm »

just noticed that bins (and boxes for hospitals) dont seem to have any limit on how much they can contain. or the is limit a lot higher than before?

Yup, I noticed this as well.  My hospital zone currently has 1 +granite coffer+ in it.  This coffer is holding:
  • Thread: 480000/75000
  • Cloth: 300000/50000
  • Splints: 2/5
  • Crutches: 1/5
  • Powder for casts: 1500/750
  • Buckets: 2/2
  • Soap: 0/750

This really exacerbates the hospital storage bug (the one where they store 480,000 thread when the limit is supposed to be 75,000).  The standard workaround (build one coffer at a time) no longer helps.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

FrisianDude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2012, 03:05:26 am »

yaayy downloading.
A tiny, foul-tempered humanoid creature that dwells in the evil mountains. They are known to enjoy drinking liquor and will take any unguarded supplies of booze.

ObeseHelmet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2012, 02:03:56 pm »

Yay! Now I can actually use wheelbarrows and minecarts! (b/c I was too lazy to get 0.34.08 :P)

EDIT: Wow, thanks--the coke increase is great! Now violating agreements with the elves is meaningless! (like it ever wasn't...) And the stagnant water bug has finally been fixed too. Excellent.   
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 02:05:33 pm by ObeseHelmet »

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 20, 2012, 03:07:05 pm »

Yay! Now I can actually use wheelbarrows and minecarts! (b/c I was too lazy to get 0.34.08 :P)

EDIT: Wow, thanks--the coke increase is great! Now violating agreements with the elves is meaningless!

It's actually the same situation that you had prior to the mining changes, except now it's cheaper to embark with a ton of coal.
Maybe the prices of economic stone should be increased to reflect this? Then again, you can set your embark points to whatever you want anyway...

In any case, I'm tickled that my suggestion made it in. [bows humbly]
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 03:09:38 pm by C27 »
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2012, 06:24:23 pm »

I've never understood why people go nuts over coal.  You can just use magma or wood.

On the other hand, you now get 4 bars of metal from each ore stone.  That means you can embark with an iron ore stone for 24 points and get 4 bars out of it.  This is awesome.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2012, 07:20:10 pm »

Toady, will you make it so that dwarves don't haul an entire barrel over to the farm just to pick up a plump helmet?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 20, 2012, 08:33:14 pm »

I've never understood why people go nuts over coal.  You can just use magma or wood.
As someone who has yet to have a fortress with any native coal or lignite (grumble, grumble), I can see the appeal when it comes to making steel.  You will need coke or charcoal to make pig iron and steel, even if you're using magma smelters and magma forges, and one piece of coal or lignite makes multiple pieces of coke, unlike wood burning and charcoal, which is one charcoal per log.  This is even more important if you're suffering a shortage of wood where you embarked.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

C27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 20, 2012, 10:20:57 pm »

On the other hand, you now get 4 bars of metal from each ore stone.  That means you can embark with an iron ore stone for 24 points and get 4 bars out of it.  This is awesome.
Also, 1 copper ore + 1 cassiterite gives 8 bronze bars for a single smelting job, more than enough to equip your starting group with picks for extra-quick burrowing if you don't want to pay for picks on embark.
Gold is for the mistress– silver for the maid–
Copper for the craftsman, cunning at his trade.
‘Good!’ said the Baron, sitting in his hall,
‘But iron– cold iron– is ruler of them all’.

treczoks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2012, 04:11:33 am »

Fellow dwarfherders,

I noticed an odd behavior in my first 0.34.09 fortress, but I'm not sure whether this is a bug, or even tied to this version.

I started as usually with a long single staircase down to see whats up down there.
Soon, Urist McMiner found a cave, and I started designating stairs through the next available pillar. But immediately after I unpaused, the staircase designations on the caves "ground level" got removed with a "no path found" message, despite being accessible from above.

An attempt to build a tunnel from the lowest point of the staircase (one over the local cave ground) to a place where the ground was one z higher lead to similar problems: McMiner dug the tunnel, but cancelled the last tile (which would be accessible from within the cave) with a "no path found" message.

Could it be that there is (theoretically) another path that would lead to the "cave side" of the wall, like a passage from the cave above, which my dwarfs have just not yet discovered?

Yours, Christian
I fall into a strange mood. I withdraw from society. I claim a computer. I draw pictures of bedrooms. I draw pictures of farming levels. I draw pictures of defenses. I draw pictures of pipes and pumps. I start playing Dwarf Fortress!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]