Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.08 Released  (Read 66436 times)

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.08 Released
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2012, 08:23:40 am »

The random fort name generator gave me Wheelshowls on the first try. Yes. I am all set.

Iceflame

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2012, 08:26:19 am »

Looks pretty nice.

Can someone explain this to me in detail?
(*) Mine drop rates tweaked, no longer skill-based
Prior to this update, when a dwarf would mine, you would get more rocks if the dwarf was a better miner. Legendary miners would drop a rock on (nearly?) every tile they mine. the drop rate is now fixed (25% IIRC) so the only difference between good and bad miners is their speed.

Thanks - does that mean I get only 75% less stone?  May be bad for building my tower :/

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2012, 08:27:53 am »

I just killed my first dorf using a minecart launched from tracks into a deep pit.

SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2012, 08:42:48 am »

Is this version save compatible with .07? I don't want to lose my fort!

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2012, 08:47:12 am »

Looks pretty nice.

Prior to this update, when a dwarf would mine, you would get more rocks if the dwarf was a better miner. Legendary miners would drop a rock on (nearly?) every tile they mine. the drop rate is now fixed (25% IIRC) so the only difference between good and bad miners is their speed.
Thanks - does that mean I get only 75% less stone?  May be bad for building my tower :/
You will receive less stone, yes. But, if you're using blocks, you can now make 4 blocks out of 1 rock so the rate at which you get blocks is still the same.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2012, 08:48:27 am »

Great timing, Toady; I'm right in the middle of a feasibility study into donating large quantities of my wife's home cooking via FedEx!
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2012, 08:53:25 am »

Whoa! :O

Thanks very much! Time for some minecart fun & gun, hehe.
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2012, 08:53:54 am »

Toady specifically made it so that 34.07 saves aren't just compatible, but include a default minecart.

JWNoctis

• Bay Watcher
  • Definitely still alive
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2012, 09:01:39 am »

Toady specifically made it so that 34.07 saves aren't just compatible, but include a default minecart.

But for all new features and the new raw fix, especially Uristocrat's new materal numbers to get in, you'll have to regen a world.

Yet another excuse to have some FunŽ with the old save. ;)
[LANGUAGE_2:ENGLISH:HOPELESSLY_BROKEN]
Adept Lurker

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2012, 09:04:12 am »

Thankyou very much!

edit: ooh, definable track tiles...
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 09:08:57 am by rhesusmacabre »

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2012, 09:19:20 am »

Looks pretty nice.

You will receive less stone, yes. But, if you're using blocks, you can now make 4 blocks out of 1 rock so the rate at which you get blocks is still the same.

& how about wood? 1 wood = 4 w/blocks?

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2012, 09:28:08 am »

Though (it appears) you would be able to transfer your saves across, my advice would be to retain the .07 directory to continue playing with that with the fort you "don't want to lose" (only without all the fancy new toys) even while you get a .08 directory with brand new worldgens in order to experience all the new stuff without risk.

And then maybe consider making a copy of the .07 fort that you've developed into the .08 area (changing its name, if necessary, to avoid collosion, or the save it would have collided with) to see if it does work nicely (it should) and to get a fully-developed fort (that you've spend ages digging out and equipping) that at least the minecarts should now be addable-into, to save time developing that "from scratch" .08 save.

(Does that make sense?  Hope so.)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2012, 09:31:14 am »

Hrm, so much for poor Xenoblade today. :p Thanks Toady! I've been looking forward to this. :)

AVE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2012, 09:37:24 am »

(*) Stockpiles ... can be set to accept items from links only
So, does that means "goodbye, piles of xclothingx, everything new goes to stockpile#1, all used clothing goes to the stockpile#2 combined with a refuse"? If yes, I'm definitely very, very happy.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2012, 09:46:43 am »

Oh it will get a lot of repairing to modders with their big mods then:) Especially Masterwork - i don't envy Meph now. So you now get 4 toys from a stone and 8 mugs? I can't chek it at work (i am surprised this forum works through firewall at all;) )

The !FUN! of modding. I take it that every boulder to block reaction also goes 1:4 now ? Might have to do a tiny bit of rebalancing then. Or I just revert everything back to 1:1 and have people mine 4 times as much. Evil me.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9