Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.08 Released  (Read 66455 times)

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.08 Released
« Reply #90 on: May 14, 2012, 08:50:33 pm »

...so, by designating a lot of dump zones in the right places, you can get your worker dwarves to chuck things over the walls onto goblin sieges with effect, right? Obviously you'd have to try to screen LOS but this is definitely on my to-attempt list. :D

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 14, 2012, 09:34:10 pm »

dunno about bones yet,
but im having trouble with bucket brigades
when both pond and water source are set, dwarves pick a bucket, go to the water source and fall in trance... anyone else got same problem?
Yeah, I think the bucket is stuck and they continue to try to haul it to the pond.  They fill the bucket I've noticed, but it goes no further than that.

Pretty sure this is a bug.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 14, 2012, 09:50:00 pm »

It's more complicated that that, as I've both seen the bucket used successfully to give water to injured dwarves, only later to get spammed with "No water destination", even thought it's the same well, same everything (far as I can tell, I did buy some buckets in the meantime).

EDIT: Actually, I was low on booze, so I think the thirsty dwarves were pre-empting the dwarf trying to give my wounded water.  With proper access to water, it problem seems to be less prevalent.

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 14, 2012, 10:17:21 pm »

...so, by designating a lot of dump zones in the right places, you can get your worker dwarves to chuck things over the walls onto goblin sieges with effect, right? Obviously you'd have to try to screen LOS but this is definitely on my to-attempt list. :D

Absolutely you could.  Hoardings and machicolations are completely plausible now.

And my defensive walls are about to get a whole host of upgrades.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 14, 2012, 10:20:35 pm »

... I can't get it to switch to a square font. I changed it to curses_square_16x16.png in the init file, but it's still loading as a rectangle and the dwarves are still smileys without beards... Normal curses font...

EDIT: Nevermind, accidentally skipped over the one I need to change and was modifying the lower ones that don't effect it with graphics mode off...oops:p
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 10:22:26 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

ichigo2862

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 14, 2012, 11:26:03 pm »

Well then, time to construct a minecart railgun.

And afterwards, Dwarf ODST's via giant platform that drops minecarts loaded with bearded midget warriors right onto the heads of the unsuspecting hostiles. It's awesome as hell just visualizing it, a giant platform releasing minecart drop pods... in fact, if i read the changelog right it says dropped objects now collide with mobs, meaning we can have proper orbital bombardment by dropping off heavy objects from above.

Giant platform in the sky that rains down boulders, anvils and minecarts containing Dwarf soldiers. Your argument is invalid.

STRIKE FROM THE SKIES, BROTHERS!

Lokathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2012, 12:33:40 am »

My dwarves won't load up the minecart :(

They just keep using the wheelbarrow over and over.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2012, 12:35:12 am »

My minecart track claims it's unconnected, and the dwarves literally carry the minecart to the final stop, but once they do that, they push it down backwards through the intended track and it works perfectly.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2012, 12:54:08 am »

Falling units also count as 'falling objects' when calculating 'drop damage' now. I was in the arena, dropping elephants on same-team test subjects. Sure enough the victims take 3 "<body part> takes the full force of the impact" rolls, the same as the elephants dropping on them. This was with a 3-ish z-level drop.

Are drop pods still viable? Do falling creatures still take damage?
Drop pods NO LONGER VIABLE. Both the falling unit and the unit on the ground take damage when they collide. Darn it how do I edit the arena to have a higher sky limit...
Damn. :( Dwarven Deep Strike would've been so amazing.

I guess we'll have to "settle" on raining anvils and *lead mine cart*s full of ‼lignite blocks‼ on the enemy...
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Minstrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2012, 02:18:30 am »

Other bug fixes/tweaks
   (*) Stockpiles can be linked to workshops, can be set to give to multiple piles, can be set to accept items from links only

I am excited for the cart stuff, but this, THIS is big.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2012, 02:42:41 am »

*Densities/colors updated, based on Uristocrat's data collection thread

uuuhm what is this thing? :D someome would care to explain?
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

zenerbufen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2012, 03:15:08 am »

The colors and weight of materials was carefully researched by Uristocrat, rocks now have real world colors/weights instead of estimates.

Raven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2012, 03:24:06 am »

oooh interesting thing

so now this should be more realistic, for example, a heavier rock is more suitable for a rock trap, right?
http://dwarffortressitalia.tumblr.com/

Italian blog about Dwarf Fortress

Il primo blog italiano su Dwarf Fortress

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2012, 03:35:36 am »

oooh interesting thing

so now this should be more realistic, for example, a heavier rock is more suitable for a rock trap, right?
Yep, cinnabar is now the densest I think.
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2012, 04:11:27 am »

The colors and weight of materials was carefully researched by Uristocrat, rocks now have real world colors/weights instead of estimates.
Holy ‼Science‼, Batman. Uristocrat has done some serious meta-research there.  :o
*gives a -«☼alpaca wool sock☼»- to Uristocrat*

Suddenly, cinnabar starts to sound appealing for reasons other than the impressive colour, too...
> The spinning cinnabar strikes the Troll in the upper body, shattering the right true ribs, driving the right true ribs through the right lung and tearing apart the right lung!
> A tendon in the right true ribs has been torn and a ligament has been torn!
> A major artery has been opened by the attack!
> the Troll is having trouble breathing!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:15:36 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9