Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 324461 times)

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2012, 06:32:51 am »

Fun fact: riding a magma-filled minecart doesn`t harm pilot.

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2012, 06:34:11 am »

Been working on some minecart + water science.

Setup #1: Simple flat track going down ramp through a brook (4 tiles wide), up ramp to the other side, where it should dump water into a pit. No rollers. Orders are to push.
Result: Dry run test (river bed empty) resulted in the cart just barely getting up the hill on the other side. More power needed.

Setup #2: Kept same design, but put rollers in the bottom of the brook. Dry run caused the cart to succeed in getting to its destination under its own power. However, with water, it filled up and made to the ramp out of the water, but couldn't get up the hill. Instead, it just kept going partway up, then sliding back down, before the roller next to it tried to push it up again. Inspecting the cart did reveal that it was full of water, but that it weighed 479 Urists (459 of which was the water).

Setup #3: Built a 7z level tall super ramp to try to give it enough momentum to get over the other side. A dry test launched the cart airborne, overshooting the stop by at least 20 tiles before colliding with a mountain. However, the results were not better with the water. Even with rollers in the riverbed, it still couldn't make it over.

Setup #4: Kept the tower, but reduced the tiles underwater to just one track ramp. With the water, it zipped through the ramp and went airborne, but did not collect any water. (It did get a water coating, however).

Setup #5: Expanded the underwater region of the track to two track ramps adjacent to each other. However, this was still too much for it to handle, resulting it stalling at the bottom of the track.

Conclusions: The weight of the water is what kills momentum when sending a cart through it. It may be difficult but possible to get the balance just right where you can send a cart to collect water and not have it stall immediately (someone earlier in the thread was skipping minecarts, so it seems possible).
Also, minecarts that are full of water are useless, as far as I can tell.
Guiding the minecarts (I think) did get them to the end, where they did dump out their contents - however it was only 2/7 worth of it. I'm not sure minecart towers will replace pump stacks anytime soon.

Have you (or someone else) tried to have a powered roller that is completely submerged by water/magma? I guess that should make it possible to move the minecart through the liquid

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2012, 06:39:53 am »

Have you (or someone else) tried to have a powered roller that is completely submerged by water/magma? I guess that should make it possible to move the minecart through the liquid

Yes.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109460.msg3284866#msg3284866

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2012, 07:17:24 am »

If a cart derails and subsequently goes back onto a track, does it re-rail itself?

i.e. if the cart is pushed so that it goes over a bridge (which I assume cannot have tracks placed on it) and then onto a new track that turns a corner, will the cart turn the corner? Apparently junctions do not work yet, but I'm wondering if a vertical junction would work, with a retractable bridge used to switch between a horizontal track and a downwards ramping track.

DrNightKOT

• Escaped Lunatic
  • [CATSPLOSION]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2012, 07:23:15 am »

We seriously need to find out if the minecarts can kill HFS with ease. I'll try to do it soon, in the name of !!SCIENCE!!, but anyone else is good to contribute.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 16, 2012, 07:26:23 am »

Can somebody explain me plz. what I did wrong?

Minecart is gain speed in a loop & when I lower the bridge the minecart is hitting fortification but nothing happens. It's just stop. The cargo of minecart doesn't throw out =(
Why minecart didn't throw out its cargo?
I'm tried to collide minecart with dorf but he's dead by minecart damage but not by spears in it...

The images are without fortification. It placed at the west of the bridge.

BTW: this construction doesn't work with water. Minecart are rebound 3 times out of water & buried under water about 10-12 tiles far of the bridge =(
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 09:42:51 am by Burmalay »

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 16, 2012, 07:27:54 am »

Regarding the mist generated by waterskipping, the clouds were 5-7 tiles across, decreasing each time (presumably with speed as the devlog indicated). Without the rider, smaller clouds were generated. I was going to do more research, but got distracted by a new project:

Spoiler: Marksdwarf Carousel (click to show/hide)

Or at least it was... Six of the seven fell off the wall, probably due to speed, but the principle seems sound.

-The track is built on a 3z high wall with a 4 tile moat to avoid blindspots.
    -The stops have a "route" to themselves and are set to "Ride east always/when empty" to activate.
    -The rollers here are set to maximum speed (needs adjusting) and are powered by windmills.
    -The exit ramp in the NE corner is reached by a 1x2 retractable bridge.
    -The "stop" at the end is set to medium resistance, and drops to a trackless, walled room.

To get them to use it, first station them in the ready room, lock the hatch, deactivate the squad, then send them off one at a time. You can then reactivate the squad (if they haven't fallen off).

The biggest issues if you can make this reliable are of course food, drink, sleep and ammo. The first 3 could be solved by using vampire marksdwarves...

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 16, 2012, 08:32:33 am »

Posting to watch.
You can just mark the thead as to "Notify" you without posting.

Unfortunately that just sends emails, it doesn't let me see the thread under the "new replies to your post" link.

Email notifications for all the threads I follow would be extremely cumbersome.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 16, 2012, 09:22:24 am »

I can't get marksdwarves to reliably target gobbos when they're standing still, Let alone spinning around in circles. Nice idea though.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 16, 2012, 09:32:20 am »

I fired a mining cart at a fortification at high speed and no rocks fell out. No blocks or arrows either, although in the later two cases it seems the cart hit another cart abandoned at the fortification end of my track.

It seems once a cart is on a track it is only possible to get it off by assigning it to some other track. Dump doesn't work on them.

Also, I think I saw something cool - a dwarf was fishing and just dropping the fish next to themselves. Another dwarf came along with a barrel and scooped almost all the fish up and carted them off. This was all with default labours on. Has DF let fisherdwarves fish without carting their fish home each time? This is what happened in previous versions, yes? I can't say I've ever watched too closely.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 16, 2012, 10:04:03 am »

I had a stop, 5x long roller, and 5x consecutive ramps ending in a 1 long track hitting a fortification.  All tracks were N/S and all rollers were S with maximum velocity.  Rollers are currently bugged and always function at full power.

I achieved critical spearthrowing damage with this design.

If you're not getting objects to launch, then I suggest increasing the velocity.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 16, 2012, 10:14:07 am »

Two sets of 10 rollers and then 2 tiles then fortification. Was all on the flat though. I also think that 10 rollers is the max acceleration you can provide - well, off a cliff 10 rollers pushed a cart no further forward than 20. In any case, perhaps it's item dependent. Refuse and corpses didn't fly either :(

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 16, 2012, 10:23:49 am »

I had a stop, 5x long roller, and 5x consecutive ramps ending in a 1 long track hitting a fortification.  All tracks were N/S and all rollers were S with maximum velocity.  Rollers are currently bugged and always function at full power.

I achieved critical spearthrowing damage with this design.

If you're not getting objects to launch, then I suggest increasing the velocity.

So objects will be launched through fortifications, but only if the minecart has sufficient velocity?
Good to know.

Also, why would you want anythig less than full power on the carts?
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 16, 2012, 10:25:12 am »

Presumably to make a cart launch from a ramp and have the exact velocity to land on a very specific tile.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 16, 2012, 10:26:41 am »

I *presume* rollers have a maximum velocity they can impart onto minecarts - but that downward slopes do not. It seems additional rollers (...beyond 10...?) provide no additional benefit.

Shared tunnels. High-traffic zones.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 46