Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 324429 times)

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 11:34:08 pm »

I've used a track and cart to send goods to be dumped down a hole to a workshop floor. Despite their being a wood stockpile at ground level it seems that the 'dumped' items aren't then returned to the top stockpile. I believe the wood at the bottom is still available for use though. Interesting.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 11:37:15 pm »

I've got a working stockpile transfer cart going. You have to set the stop to take things like you would a stockpile.

Talonj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 11:56:39 pm »

I can't figure out what's going on. I have a minecart set up, trying to drop some blocks downwards all fancy-like, and all it says is "Set dir/connect track". Jobs are generated to fill the minecart, but they are always canceled because of "item inaccessible".

I have a stray NSE instead of NS track in my spiral rampway, which might be it.
Also the stockpile has bins... maybe if I turn them off...

No, now my whole fort is dancing between the block pile and the minecart, trying and failing to load blocks into it.

Anyone experiencing something similar, or do I just have weirdness going on?

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 12:11:57 am »

Discovery: If you carve some tracks and don't like what you've done you can floor over them. When you remove the floor the stone underneath goes back to being blank.

You can also build new tracks directly on the old.

I still haven't worked out how to successfully use intersections. I think rollers can help. At a T section rollers can push the cart in the new direction instead of careening off the end of the T, but sometimes it works... and sometimes it doesn't.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:17:36 am by TinyPirate »

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 12:17:00 am »

I've come with an idea to high traffic areas and pushed carts(not guided ones). I dont know why someone would do that with high traffic corridors but:

You could make an airlock with doors, like trains irl.
Put a Pressure plate that a cart will pass on to lock the two doors of the airlock. Make sure to put the PP on the tracks before reaching the door.
Then put another PP on the tracks that will open the doors.

I can see many issues with this idea but I think it can evolve.

Anything that is stuck in between the doors when they lock down will be hit.
If the cart stop from the colision you will have locked doors with no easy way to open them short of deconstructing them.
Something can stuck the door open when it receives the lock signal.
Pets.

Still messing around with this contraption, will report anything I find.

Commiesalami

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 12:44:48 am »

When you choose a vehicle to place on a route im noticing that the X has differing colors.  Ive seen red purple and yellow.  Dwarves didn't place the cart on the track for red and purple icons.  Any insight?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:01:32 am by Commiesalami »

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 12:53:10 am »

I'm also seeing the set dir/connect track error... I dunno why, I have a stop, an ew track, an ew ramp, then a ne track, a nw track, an ew track, and then a track stop... everything should be lined up...

Oh, and I placed a cart sensitive pressure plate right before the last stop... The idea is, they pass over the pressure plate, which triggers the retracting bridge immediately to the east of the last stop. This is a surface wood dump, I'm hoping they can dump in down to the carpenter shop, basically making a quantum stockpile, and the bridge will block any flying enemies from going down that chute...

But that error message is there, and no one is approaching the cart... Full wood stockpile next to it, what am I missing?

EDIT: waaaiiiitt... I think I need a dead end track there, and build the stop on top of it........ If that's whats wrong, I'ma gunna feel dumb:p
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 12:55:30 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 12:56:39 am »

Track stops should be on top of tracks for the connection to count.

I'm having trouble with my up ramps - all the carts just keep bumping off of them like they're walls. They're definitely ramps, though, and they definitely go both of the desired directions.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 01:00:11 am »

I'm having trouble with my up ramps - all the carts just keep bumping off of them like they're walls. They're definitely ramps, though, and they definitely go both of the desired directions.

Maybe that's just standard behavior if the carts don't have enough forward momentum?  They go halfway up the ramp, then slide back down. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 01:01:16 am »

But these carts are getting shot by the fastest speed booster. Maybe it needs to be longer...

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 01:05:30 am »

Wasn't there a difference between "ramps" and "track ramps"?

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 01:05:37 am »

:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

You just made me realize I didn't have a wall next to the one ramp........

Wasn't there a difference between "ramps" and "track ramps"?

Ya, if you page down on the construct track page, you get the construct track ramp page.

Alright, the set dir thingy is gone... now why aren't they filling the cart and sending it on it's way... Yes, I set all the orders in the (h)auling menu... I think...

EDIT: Dangit! Where'd that stockpile link option appear from... Bet that's my issue, lol.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:08:51 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 01:08:20 am »

This was posted in a different thread:

I ran into this exact problem myself earlier.

The solution: As counter-intuitive as it seems, only make your ramps face the direction of the next level they are going towards. For example, a ramp with the upper level north of it needs to only face north. Even when the cart goes both ways, it will run fine on it (It works for me at least!)

So it seems that ramps are really picky about directionality of both ramp and rails. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2012, 01:09:16 am »

They're track ramps, all right. And it takes a ton of energy to shoot these things up ramps.

An empty wooden cart was shot by a 7-long roller at the highest speed, going one tile and then up a track-ramp. It stopped right at the top of the ramp.

This was posted in a different thread:

I ran into this exact problem myself earlier.

The solution: As counter-intuitive as it seems, only make your ramps face the direction of the next level they are going towards. For example, a ramp with the upper level north of it needs to only face north. Even when the cart goes both ways, it will run fine on it (It works for me at least!)

So it seems that ramps are really picky about directionality of both ramp and rails.

Oh. Huh, it's probably a bug then.

edit: Using this method will break the circuit and give you the yellow warning exclamation point.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 01:14:41 am by penguinofhonor »

Talonj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2012, 01:15:19 am »

That's... likely my problem. In other news, I managed to get a dwarf stuck in place trying to push a track cart. The job is impossible to manually remove from the jobs menu, too. I'm going to do some more research on this, before reporting it as a bug.

I had set a bunch of stuff in the cart to be dumped, while it was also meeting the conditions to push the cart. Stuff got dumped, but I think the dwarf didn't like people taking stuff out of the cart when he was trying to push it.
They're track ramps, all right. And it takes a ton of energy to shoot these things up ramps.

An empty wooden cart was shot by a 7-long roller at the highest speed, going one tile and then up a track-ramp. It stopped right at the top of the ramp.

Well crap. How are we supposed to reliably get minecarts to transport UP then?
I imagine having huge hallways of long rollers would be annoying to engineer.

I've never actually played DF long enough to have a huge mechanical project, though...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 46