Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322829 times)

Talonj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #180 on: May 16, 2012, 10:26:58 pm »

gF-^^^^^=====#
This is my design, poorly explained.  - is rail, ^ are ramps up, = are rollers, # is the constructed stop.  Keep in mind that the ramps actually go up, so this isn't all flat, it's spread over several Z levels.
1: The cart is on the stop, with the orders "Load spears, wait until full, push south" (my actual design faces north to south but it's the same thing).
2: The rollers are bugged and always on, so as soon as the cart hits the rollers it gains speed at "Fastest".
3: The cart goes downhill very fast.
4: The final piece of track at the very bottom is a 1 long N/S rail - NOT just north NOR just south.
5: The cart hits the fortification and contents spill out violently.

This is currently triggered by me manually editing the hauling route and changing it to "at 0%".  When rollers are fixed, then the rollers will be on a lever so that the cart rests atop the rollers idly until the lever is pulled, power is supplied, and the cart is launched.

The only things I can think to note here are that the cart slams directly into a fortification while on a N/S rail, and that the cart is traveling about 2 ticks per tile.  I followed it, paused, and hit . to count, it obtains ludicrous speeds.

Two ticks per tile is... impressive. Has anyone reached a "maximum velocity" yet? I'm also experimenting with minecarts as an alternative to the traditional pumpstack, especially for magma. But I'm fairly bad at DF and science moves slowly.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: May 16, 2012, 10:42:53 pm »

From the wiki,

Rollers may apparently be placed on ramps to help pull carts up Z levels.

Can anyone attest to this? I haven't figured out how to do it...

Edit: I just noticed (in the event that multiple carts share a track) multiple carts can rest in a stop at the same time without collision.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 11:11:55 pm by TerryDactyl »

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: May 16, 2012, 11:51:05 pm »

I haven't got much time to spend on ‼SCIENCE‼ yet but this weekend I'm going to fill a Moat with magma using minecarts.
I'll try to make it as automated as possible and I don't think I'm going to have any FPS issue. Also...If were going to test Shotguns, would it be better if we use unstacked bolts? I mean...each bolt would probably take lets space than a spear. The only issue being unstacking them.

Talonj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: May 16, 2012, 11:53:15 pm »

I'm not able to test this right now, but has anyone used the "guide" option to go up ramps? Does that seem to be effective? Seems like the best way to move magma up quickly is just to set up a track and have dwarves guide carts full of magma up to the surface.
Discovery: dwarves will not push a cart directly down a ramp. As in, there has to be a square of non-ramp track for it to get pushed onto before the dwarves will push it.

Kind of an old post, but my current fort is proving this discovery wrong. Can you provide more detail? It might be conditional.

My ramp is a straight ramp down with no curves. Are your dwarves outright refusing to take the push vehicle job?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: May 17, 2012, 12:11:01 am »

So how do bridges work with tracks? I need to make a bridge to prevent derailing on one track but then open up for another.
Yeah, if you put a retracting bridge over a turn. Then when the bridge is down, carts go strait. When retracted they turn.

Talonj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: May 17, 2012, 12:21:18 am »

Well this is certainly odd... I made a track going down ten levels, straight ramps, into the dirt, so it's just ramps and walls all the way down. The cart was supposed to go to the bottom, turn around, and then come back up in the adjacent square.

When my dwarf pushed the cart, it went down three levels, then immediately started moving backwards and smacked him in the face, knocking him unconscious. Then, predictably, his dwarf buddy came along and continually pushed the cart, only he's smart enough to run off, letting it yo-yo back and run his friend over again and again. End result was dwarven murder in cold blood.

Why the hell is the cart doing the yoyo?

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: May 17, 2012, 12:27:06 am »

Is the ramp track direction what you think it is?

Talonj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: May 17, 2012, 12:41:06 am »

Yes, it was, and that was the problem. The requirement of "make track go in the direction of the up ramp ONLY" needs to NOT apply when making ramps go DOWN, otherwise it appears your cart flies off of the tracks. Presumably this one flew over the hole instead of going down the ramp, bounced off of the wall and back into the dwarf.

The top speed I have been able to achieve with down ramps is two spaces per three ticks.

An empty iron cart sped down ten ramps, turned around the tightest corner, assisted by walls, and then was only able to make it back up two ramps... Add a string of 10 rollers at the start, and it makes it no farther, implying that I reached the maximum speed of a cart, and that it is achieved in ten levels, or potentially less.

Also, rollers can be placed on ramps IF they are adjacent to another mechanical component (Like a roller, or a gearbox once they actually require power)

Fort died, but I have seasonal autosaves...

MisterMoxxie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2012, 12:53:19 am »

Question. In the context of stockpiles, what are minecarts considered? I know theyre furniture, but I can't find a minecart option. I'm trying to keep minecarts out of the stockpiles that are put into quantum piles, as minecarts 'stack' when on top of each other.
Update: 4/5/12 : 9:35 pm
So apparently, this one dwarf is just walking around with a huge, gaping hole in his chest, with a slightly smashed heart, and bleeding absolutely everywhere, and he is PUNCHING OUT ZOMBIES.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: May 17, 2012, 12:56:50 am »

Question. In the context of stockpiles, what are minecarts considered? I know theyre furniture, but I can't find a minecart option. I'm trying to keep minecarts out of the stockpiles that are put into quantum piles, as minecarts 'stack' when on top of each other.
The next update will add minecarts and wheelbarrows into the custom stockpile options.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

MisterMoxxie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: May 17, 2012, 01:13:55 am »

Ahh. Well, now I have to figure out how to get to the couple of minecarts that I got stuck in my furniture shoot. :/
Update: 4/5/12 : 9:35 pm
So apparently, this one dwarf is just walking around with a huge, gaping hole in his chest, with a slightly smashed heart, and bleeding absolutely everywhere, and he is PUNCHING OUT ZOMBIES.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: May 17, 2012, 01:14:46 am »

Well, I' underwhelmed. I found a vampire, so I decided to let my minecart do the execution.

[...]
Try it with a minecart made out of whatever material the vampire's weak against.

Holy hell. A kea just took one of my stopped minecarts RIGHT OFF THE TRACKS.
"Are you suggesting minecarts migrate?"
If it grips it by the chassis...

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: May 17, 2012, 01:17:29 am »

Well, I' underwhelmed. I found a vampire, so I decided to let my minecart do the execution.

[...]
Try it with a minecart made out of whatever material the vampire's weak against.
To my knowledge, only werebeasts get that. Vampires are universally strong to all materials.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: May 17, 2012, 01:49:07 am »

Oops, right. Mental blip.

...Try loading the cart with magma.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: May 17, 2012, 02:26:03 am »

Launch a cart into a wall above a pit the vampire is sitting at the bottom of, and watch them go splat :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 46