Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 324583 times)

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #285 on: May 18, 2012, 05:55:27 pm »

That will indeed work IRL.

Ninja'd.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: May 18, 2012, 08:22:12 pm »

Does crashed fluid cart send a shotgun style?  Are obsidian collides possible?

Tested and verified that a stack of water[833] or magma[833] will fire out as a single "shotgun" projectile, and reverts to being a 2/7 fluid after all collision calculations have happened (i.e. The water laced with water [833] strikes You in the left lower leg, jamming the bone through the left knee's muscle and shattering the left knee's bone! )

If you ride a magma cart, you are ok. If you pick up a magma cart or pick up the magma[833] stack, fiery death ensues. Notably, the stacks revert to being 2/7 fluid if you drop the entire stack on the ground by hand, but not if you throw magma[1] or water[1] at the wall, which only result in contaminants.

In order to cast obsidian, you'd have to have very good shotgun accuracy to have the stack items land in the same spot.

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: May 18, 2012, 08:39:49 pm »

This begs the question - if the magma flies out as one projectile... then reverts to 2/7 liquid on contact... how deadly would magma projectiles be, especially against squads, who would then have to navigate dropped magma along the way?
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: May 18, 2012, 08:50:18 pm »

Can an adventurer fill an iron bucket with magma from a cart?

blackmagechill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: May 18, 2012, 08:51:51 pm »

You'd probably be better off doing *platinum thrones* instead of magma, unless you did a line of multiple carts for attack, which would create a nice fire spread and probably ignite the enemies... although a set of chairs flying out at blistering speeds would be an outright kill.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: May 18, 2012, 09:02:14 pm »

This begs the question - if the magma flies out as one projectile... then reverts to 2/7 liquid on contact... how deadly would magma projectiles be, especially against squads, who would then have to navigate dropped magma along the way?

The cart does more damage, and the magma bullet doesn't do heat damage until landing, so it really isn't a good weapon after all. It's an excellent way to set the grass on fire at range.

The magma [833] strikes Goblin 9 in the lower body, bruising the muscle and bruising the guts!

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #291 on: May 18, 2012, 09:09:51 pm »

Test: Minecarts full of iron swords. Ram into the wall while riding it.
Result: Looks like a Will It Blend? episode except the cart filled with swords is the blender. Instant death.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: May 18, 2012, 09:21:14 pm »

My guess is that a single-wide entrance with a pit and wall at the end, with a magma filled cart barreling through would still be effective. For larger invaders - like FBs, I think the cart may derail upon collision, dropping the magma, and serving as a pathing block. For smaller invaders, I suspect the cart would send the invaders flying back to the wall dropping them into the pit, the cart would proceed until it hit the wall, at which point it derails and spills the magma on the stunned/unconscious/dead invaders. Repeat as needed. With magma proof carts, they'd be recoverable even if they're sitting derailed in the magma, and the magma would have the added benefit of burning off all of the useless bits. Add a fortification and magmasafe retracting bridge to drain off the magma, and a 2nd magmasafe bridge to let your dwarves in to claim the goblinite.

On a haunted map or a necro invader, they'd effectively destroy the invaders preventing them from continuously coming back at you.

I think there's still a lot of potential merit in this plan, though I agree that a flying magmacloud of doom would be cooler.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: May 18, 2012, 09:27:25 pm »

You have been encased in cooling lava.
You empty the iron minecart.
Yes, in that order.

It appears that magma-full minecarts can travel underwater or be doused with water with no change to the contents.
Dumping the contents while underwater leads to interesting results.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: May 18, 2012, 09:54:17 pm »

Yes, in that order.

It appears that magma-full minecarts can travel underwater or be doused with water with no change to the contents.

That's a rather interesting way to die...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: May 18, 2012, 10:09:26 pm »

Yes, in that order.

That's a rather interesting way to die...

From this we can infer that dwarven minecarts are the fantasy-land equivalent of tupperware on wheels. That is to say, they seal perfectly, and keep their contents hot.

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: May 18, 2012, 10:15:59 pm »

ick, carving tracks is wonky. seems like you can only do it in a straight line.
it might figure out a curve if an open track is already there.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: May 18, 2012, 10:24:50 pm »

I think to carve a curve, you carve a track over an existing track.

Boes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: May 18, 2012, 10:30:51 pm »

Does anybody have any good ideas or plans yet on how the tracks can be laid out to help the efficiency of a fort?   I have tried with little success in setting up a central distribution point and then deploying from there out to workshops and/or work sites.  I can get the carts to do what i need them to, but it doesn't seem to help much with the stockpiles,   granted it might help if i setup the routes at the work sites to dump their load, then wait for a full load of what-ever else i happen to be making before leaving.   I have modded in a large capacity mine cart as well, just so i can use the larger one going from the surface/tree farm down to the central hub.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 10:33:43 pm by Boes »
Life has a 100% mortality rate.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: May 18, 2012, 11:29:57 pm »

I don't think a rail line is suitable for the lumber yard given that trees are each so far apart, even in the thickest forests, and that they provide only a single log apiece.

Put a rail line in your quarry, and shuttle stone out to a dedicated masonry: hauling boulders instead of blocks or bars will save you many extra trips.

Since you're sending a cart out that way anyway, you might as well load it up with food and drink, to ensure your miners and haulers do not need to travel far for their breaks.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 46