Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 324418 times)

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #585 on: July 12, 2012, 01:58:05 am »

I'm a bit confused with the whole stockpile system with mine-carts. You see i set up a stockpile at the entrance to a mine to hold coal and hematite, and a linked mine-cart to carry the items to another stockpile deep in my fortress, but my dwarves keep filling in the first mine-cart stockpile from halfway across the map, when i only want the items from the one specific mine.... anyone know how i could remedy this?
*Bump* Still need help here.

Build other stockpiles closer to the other mines.  An open stockpile wants to be filled.  Since you can't assign the 'take' order to be from a specific region (merely other stockpiles) ... errr, wait, maybe there is an option, but it's kinda wierd.

Set the stockpile feeding the minecart start to only take from links.  Now, just leave it for a bit.  Go down to your mine, dig out a nice fat area.  Now, stockpile the area there for stones.  All of it, one big huge stockpile.  Set IT to also only take from links (so your other mines don't start trying to feed this massive stockpile in the middle of nowhere)... but all the rocks already on the stockpile should be considered included in it.  Now, set that stockpile to give to the one feeding the minecart.

I think that will work, I've never tried it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 12, 2012, 09:08:51 am »

^ Yeah, that works.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Steforian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 12, 2012, 09:48:59 pm »

I'm a bit confused with the whole stockpile system with mine-carts. You see i set up a stockpile at the entrance to a mine to hold coal and hematite, and a linked mine-cart to carry the items to another stockpile deep in my fortress, but my dwarves keep filling in the first mine-cart stockpile from halfway across the map, when i only want the items from the one specific mine.... anyone know how i could remedy this?

Build other stockpiles closer to the other mines.  An open stockpile wants to be filled.  Since you can't assign the 'take' order to be from a specific region (merely other stockpiles) ... errr, wait, maybe there is an option, but it's kinda wierd.

Set the stockpile feeding the minecart start to only take from links.  Now, just leave it for a bit.  Go down to your mine, dig out a nice fat area.  Now, stockpile the area there for stones.  All of it, one big huge stockpile.  Set IT to also only take from links (so your other mines don't start trying to feed this massive stockpile in the middle of nowhere)... but all the rocks already on the stockpile should be considered included in it.  Now, set that stockpile to give to the one feeding the minecart.

I think you got something there, but when you say "one bug huge stockpile..." can you elaborate? like, stockpile the entire area underground, through walls and everything?

therealmarauder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 13, 2012, 06:32:36 am »

Has anyone suggested some way of making minecart bouncers?

Someone was already doing a succession/group effort fort based on the idea, I think. GirlInHat might have been involved?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 13, 2012, 11:51:31 pm »

I think you got something there, but when you say "one bug huge stockpile..." can you elaborate? like, stockpile the entire area underground, through walls and everything?

Pretty much.  p-s  Move to one corner of the mine, Enter, Shift-move to the other corner of that floor, Enter again.  Now link it.

RLPudding

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 15, 2012, 08:46:30 am »

hmm, well i posted in gameplay questions: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113311.0

i cant get a track to work with 3 to 4 stops. i want the dwarvs to drop certain items on each stop and then carry on.
Load ore, gem, stone, drop of ore, stone, gem (in that order) and the go back to the start...

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 16, 2012, 07:24:53 pm »

Well, I did a quick search about corpse stockpiles, and didn't see this bit of info.  When corpses are put into a minecart, they do not produce miasma.  Also, be careful how you set up a quantum corpse stockpile - even dumping at 25%, minecarts appear to be too heavy to guide, and must be pushed.  And when pushed, if you set up in a circle track, the pusher ends up with broken bones...

I guess you could just load up a bunch of track stops with one cart each, and fill them up with bodies.  I don't know if corpses rot while inside the minecart though.  Mine is (now) set up like this, walled off with diagonal access areas to minimize the spread of miasma:
Code: [Select]
wwwww
wtt2#w
wtwtww
w1w_w
_w_ww

1,2 - track stops
t - tracks
w - walls
# - quantum corpse stockpile

I have it set to load at Stop 1 (from multiple nearby corpse stockpiles, set to accept only goblin, kobold & troll bodies & parts) and push north at 25%.  Stop 2 has lowest friction and dumps into a pit to the side.  The minecart then runs into the wall near Stop 1, and will be carried back to the track stop.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

SandyCaesar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 16, 2012, 11:18:20 pm »

I want to make a fortress shotgun defense system; I've got cobaltite to make blocks, and possibly other weapons to forge.

Assuming I prioritize this before steelmaking (due to lack of flux) or getting magma to the surface, but after I get bronze, what would be an optimal load per each "blast" of the shotgun? Cobaltite blocks should hurt, but I'm worried about them glancing off armor. Metal spears would be ideal, but that will be expensive in resources. What would be a relatively economical way of loading up the carts, balancing resource cost and effectiveness? Glass corkscrews? Bronze spears? Or just lots and lots of cobaltite? (Also, do lighter objects fly further, or not?)

Urist McSpike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 17, 2012, 05:43:28 pm »

I'm trying to get one going in my current fort, in which I have appear to have no sand and an abundance of native silver.  So, I'm going with Silver War Hammers...  and it takes a lot.  As in, I'm guessing around 1200 War Hammers for a 100% minecart load.  I'm still crafting the weapons, and trying to get my stockpile links working properly, so I haven't been able to try yet.

If you haven't seen [url+http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=111303.0]this thread[/url] yet, it's my main source of design inspiration.
I mean, look at us.  You give us a young child and a puppy, and we produce, possibly, one of the biggest sins against nature the game has ever seen.

Edrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 18, 2012, 03:02:25 pm »

I have just set up my first cart route. No warning in the two, two simple stops on two different levels, the dwarves fill the cart 100%, and then… Nothing. The cart never starts. I tried to set the condition to "when full", "more than 75% full", or even "always", the order to "push", "ride" or "guide", it does not change a thing. Of course, I checked the direction one million times, and it is the good one. I deleted the route, reset it just in case, changed the cart… Once, I even had a dwarf that picked up the cart and start snailing it through the stairs (with a cart full of metal bars in bins, it walked a square every few seconds, and did not go far before I was bored).
After several hours of waiting, testing, and searching the forum, I give up.
Have any idea?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 18, 2012, 03:13:49 pm »

I have just set up my first cart route. No warning in the two, two simple stops on two different levels, the dwarves fill the cart 100%, and then… Nothing. The cart never starts. I tried to set the condition to "when full", "more than 75% full", or even "always", the order to "push", "ride" or "guide", it does not change a thing. Of course, I checked the direction one million times, and it is the good one. I deleted the route, reset it just in case, changed the cart… Once, I even had a dwarf that picked up the cart and start snailing it through the stairs (with a cart full of metal bars in bins, it walked a square every few seconds, and did not go far before I was bored).
After several hours of waiting, testing, and searching the forum, I give up.
Have any idea?

For a hauler to pick up the cart, that would mean it was in guide mode.  For them to choose the stairs, that meant the stairs was the most direct route between the two stops.

I would doublecheck that your ramping is stable through the levels.  It bit me a few times that you have to set the track carve one extra box past the ramped square to actually get them to carve it.

Edrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 18, 2012, 04:01:51 pm »

Thanks for the "guide" info : i will stick to "push" and "guide"…
I checked my ramp tracks, and one of them was "S" instead of "NS". Thanks for that tip. How comes I did not get the "! Set dir/connect track" message?
Unfortunately, it seems my dwarves are still not willing to push the cart… I waited a while, and I couldn’t find the job in the list either (don’t know what it is supposed to look like, but I don’t think I would have missed it):'(

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 18, 2012, 04:30:36 pm »

Thanks for the "guide" info : i will stick to "push" and "guide"…
I checked my ramp tracks, and one of them was "S" instead of "NS". Thanks for that tip. How comes I did not get the "! Set dir/connect track" message?
Unfortunately, it seems my dwarves are still not willing to push the cart… I waited a while, and I couldn’t find the job in the list either (don’t know what it is supposed to look like, but I don’t think I would have missed it):'(

One of the things I'll do to test my tracks is set it with a single stop and simply have it pushed immediately, with no load settings.  See where it stops/goes awry.

Edrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 18, 2012, 05:11:10 pm »

One of the things I'll do to test my tracks is set it with a single stop and simply have it pushed immediately, with no load settings.  See where it stops/goes awry.
A very good advice. Strangely it worked well, even with the loaded cart, but only on an adjacent square. Then I tried again on the original square, and… It worked. These carts seems a bit moody to me… Well,  I will see later if I can make it work with a useful route.
Thanks for your help !

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 20, 2012, 07:52:09 am »

My mine cart 'lift' is working.  :)
I've uploaded the map at the archive: http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11326-wheelauthors-waterfall

The design is a 3x3 shaft made as a double helix.
The power is transmitted down through the empty central square.
My setup uses a highest speed roller at every second level on the up track, and a high track stop to avoid derailing on every other level on the down track.

I can try to write more about it if there is interest, but I hope the map shows the concept well enough.
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 46