Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322201 times)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #675 on: September 07, 2017, 10:47:28 am »

Yeah, I noticed I was coming out of the spiral with only 250k before hitting the exit ramp. That was enough to hit the maximum zlvl and cross 2 region tiles. Before I try to extend that distance, I'm working out ways to soften the landing.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: September 07, 2017, 11:36:50 am »

Soften the landing - are you having dwarves ride it?

I know previous cart-to-space applications found that stopping the cart at apex with track stops leaves the dwarf unharmed.

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: September 07, 2017, 01:44:19 pm »

I found that just having a single track up there prevents the cart from colliding with...the ceiling? Nothing? Just the 1 tile reduces speed by roughly 70-80k without collision, but extending it even 1 track further makes the cart jump to a very hard limit overhead.

But the apex isn't the destination, and this ride is intended for passenger travel.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: September 07, 2017, 01:52:02 pm »

Hm. Don't have a setup handy to test it, but what about landing on a cartpile? Since it's hitting the floor that hurts dwarves, removing the floor might help (just got to move the cart off with a bump from the side or something.)

Uzu Bash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: September 07, 2017, 04:33:22 pm »

I just tried a dip right at the touchdown tile, and it works! It practically reversed gravity and sent the cart on another cross country hop. I built a floor right over the checkpoint track following the dip, and that straightened out z velocity, so I just have the lateral vel to deal with. Still have the speed to bank south to another corner of the map.

EDIT: To clarify, not a single channel dip, but two ramps, from east to west:

The support is built on an E/W track with a floor built over it. Momentum will keep it sailing at that level for awhile, but falling damage won't be a concern anymore.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 05:20:40 pm by Uzu Bash »

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 05, 2020, 05:05:37 pm »

Lord Shiteblast gestures!

The thread shudders and begins to move!

I attempted to build a minecart shotgun, but it failed miserably. My design was this:-

W = wall, F = fortification, / = carved track, . = channeled hole

Original                          Modified

WWWWW                       WWWWW
          /                                   /
    /                                    /
F /                                 F .

I was able to push the minecarts down the track ramps just fine, but when they got to the fortifications they just stopped with all their contents still inside. I modified the design by channeling out the last ramp to see if that would fix it, but it didn't, the cart just dropped without firing anything. Where am I going wrong?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 06, 2020, 09:24:02 am »

What is above the fortification?  I thought when minecarts hit an obstacle, their contents would fly out starting at Z+1 from the impact.  I may be completely wrong about that though.

Lord Shiteblast

• Bay Watcher
  • Armok be praised
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 07, 2020, 01:37:19 pm »

Just a wall above the fortification. I didn't realise the contents go up a z level, I thought it just fires straight through.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 07, 2020, 07:18:49 pm »

Page 1 of this thread has some good general minecart shotgun info, though I don't know if any of how it works was changed in subsequent releases since then.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]