Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 323967 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #90 on: May 15, 2012, 08:56:33 pm »

Shotguns.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 15, 2012, 08:58:27 pm »

Just started playing DF after a long break, and came back to see that minecarts have been added.

So... What's so useful about them, besides moving things faster?
Making them go very, very fast into anything that you might want to add lots of kinetic energy to.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 15, 2012, 09:11:30 pm »

Easy to get sand down to magma sea to make stuff out of glass.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.
Quote from: Toady One
Naturally, we'd like to make life miserable for everybody, randomly, but that'll take some doing.

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 15, 2012, 09:15:44 pm »

Easy to get sand down to magma sea to make stuff out of glass.

Easy to get magma up to the surface to make stuff out of glass burn the pointy ears with.
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 15, 2012, 09:15:49 pm »

I've found something interesting.  In trying to build a shotgun, I've built a long ramp, a row of fortifications, and then a depot.  You know, so I can fire wooden crafts at the elves.  Except it was the dwarven caravan who happened to arrive.  And it was iron spears.

So, first test fire:
1: A caravan marksdwarf is accidentally standing on the track instead of remaining in the depot.
2: The cart barrels down the constructed hill and slams into the marksdwarf at a rate of about 2 ticks per tile.
3: The marksdwarf is sent flying through the fortifications!
4: The iron spears shotgun out, and strike the marksdwarf while the dwarf is in flight multiple times.
5: The dwarf hits the bridge at the other side of the depot and falls to the ground.

Thoroughly epic.

You know that DF forum meme about how people would eventually build a SPOILER cannon that shoots SPOILERS? It's now possible!

Sroge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 15, 2012, 09:19:22 pm »

Just started playing DF after a long break, and came back to see that minecarts have been added.

Making them go very, very fast into anything that you might want to add lots of kinetic energy to.

So one could, in theory, make a hallway with alternating minecart tracks like so:

W..W
tttttt
W..W
tttttt
W..W

Where W is a wall, t are the tracks, and . are open spaces, that would activate the minecarts whenever there's an invasion? Leading to goblin paste over the walls?

Or am I too optimistic?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 15, 2012, 09:21:57 pm »

Its even better with lots of carts and no open spaces.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 15, 2012, 09:24:27 pm »

Specifically if the tracks run the length of the hall and the carts are made of and fileld with platinum and launched from the peaks fo the mountains.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 15, 2012, 09:24:58 pm »

Also, rollers.
« Reply #99 on: May 15, 2012, 09:37:53 pm »

They can be turned into weapons.

TheTinCat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2012, 09:41:37 pm »

Quick question, if anyone has the answer thank you in advance.
I'm trying to set up a simple point A to B track, but when I designate the second stop, the route goes off the track due to the fact that my track turns, and as a result when the cart gets full the dwarfs simply carry it along the shown path.

So how do I make turns while making routes?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Kerosene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2012, 09:46:35 pm »

Been working on some minecart + water science.

Setup #1: Simple flat track going down ramp through a brook (4 tiles wide), up ramp to the other side, where it should dump water into a pit. No rollers. Orders are to push.
Result: Dry run test (river bed empty) resulted in the cart just barely getting up the hill on the other side. More power needed.

Setup #2: Kept same design, but put rollers in the bottom of the brook. Dry run caused the cart to succeed in getting to its destination under its own power. However, with water, it filled up and made to the ramp out of the water, but couldn't get up the hill. Instead, it just kept going partway up, then sliding back down, before the roller next to it tried to push it up again. Inspecting the cart did reveal that it was full of water, but that it weighed 479 Urists (459 of which was the water).

Setup #3: Built a 7z level tall super ramp to try to give it enough momentum to get over the other side. A dry test launched the cart airborne, overshooting the stop by at least 20 tiles before colliding with a mountain. However, the results were not better with the water. Even with rollers in the riverbed, it still couldn't make it over.

Setup #4: Kept the tower, but reduced the tiles underwater to just one track ramp. With the water, it zipped through the ramp and went airborne, but did not collect any water. (It did get a water coating, however).

Setup #5: Expanded the underwater region of the track to two track ramps adjacent to each other. However, this was still too much for it to handle, resulting it stalling at the bottom of the track.

Conclusions: The weight of the water is what kills momentum when sending a cart through it. It may be difficult but possible to get the balance just right where you can send a cart to collect water and not have it stall immediately (someone earlier in the thread was skipping minecarts, so it seems possible).
Also, minecarts that are full of water are useless, as far as I can tell.
Guiding the minecarts (I think) did get them to the end, where they did dump out their contents - however it was only 2/7 worth of it. I'm not sure minecart towers will replace pump stacks anytime soon.

lobstercow42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2012, 09:50:33 pm »

Anyone try filling minecarts up with a waterfall yet?? that mite keep the cart moving fast enough to go up ramps and suck

!!crundle!!

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERYONE, I AM ON FIRE
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2012, 09:54:35 pm »

When building tracks, do you build them in the direction you want the cart to go, or the direction of the source?
w̷̦̬̹̣͕̙͖͑̓̌̓̑̄͒͋͜͝h̙̩͈̱͚̳̳̪͖̙͕̥̳ͥ̍̔͂̑̿̓̍̑ͣ͆̅̀͢y̧̼̭͎͓̟̺͉̰͎̱̜ͫ̂́͗̐̑́w̢̬̪͈̲̽̋́̈̓ͨ̄͐̿̓ͧ̇ͩ̏ͫ̑̎͟͡ḩ̡͍̫̣̹̬̙̭͊ͯͯ̉͡y̔ͥ̏͛̀̂̎̆ͥͮ̐̍̈̏͆̓̅̒҉̢̘͚͎̠̻̣̯̥̠̙̤̪̮̝̲̜̪́̕̕ͅw̸̗̻̱ͭͣͦͤ̇̑̅͗ͨͬ͋̉͊ͨ͂͜hͩͪ̋ͣ̇̔͂ͧ̍̾͂͏̨̠͕̼̟͙̳̺͕̥͔̜̮̩̰̲̞̼y̴̸̵̪͕̜̪̙̦̘ͧ̽̇ͭͭͬͯ̾̈́̐̂̉͆͒ͤ̌̀̕w̺̟͙͙̭͇̟̮͉̯͈͖̩͔͊͛ͧͯ̀̿ͣͪ͂ͪ͘̕͠ͅh̷̴̷̢͉͖̺̦̣͙̓ͧ̅͋ͪ̾̓͒̌̒ͯ̇́ͯ̕y̋ͪ̓̒̈́͞͏̤̗̞̲̪͚̮̤̫̪̺̪̫̕w̸͔̺̱̼̪̮̘̟͖̭̱͓͈̜͇͚͉̙͊̈́ͦ̅̋̂ͩ̓͗́̚͡ͅĥ̶̨̟̺͕̌͆͒͑ͦͨ̉͆͜͜ý̧͓̼̘̯͉̘̺̩͇̻͈͔̖͎̜͍ͭ̌ͩ͟͝͞

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2012, 10:17:05 pm »

When building tracks, do you build them in the direction you want the cart to go, or the direction of the source?

Imagine you're dragging your finger in sand when designating... That should work it out for you. Tracks are 2 way paths, they can go either way on it.

So, anyone else try yet to have more routes than there is room on the screen... The text doesn't scroll:p My screen only holds 6 routes with 2 stops each, when I add route 7 and it's 2 stops, or any after, it's off the screen. Bug report on this yet? Found the report, apparently Toady's already fixed it for the next release :-D
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 10:19:04 pm by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 46