Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322727 times)

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2012, 05:16:42 am »

Oh, the dump command on carts is going to be awesome.

Do magma-proof mechanisms that are submerged in magma still work? Because I might need to make a magma pit that carts dive in and out of and deliver magma to visitors outside the walls.
Fix'd.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2012, 06:35:03 am »

So I created a long track. At the end, a ramp track leading up and then a cliff. Powered it with ten rollers (and I even chucked a windmill on them for no good reason as far as I can tell, as it really doesn't make a difference right now).

I could accelerate a cart up the ramp and then along that Z level a little before dropping down. Going up does not seem to impart any vertical velocity.

I then added another seven powered rollers and there was no difference in the distance the cart fell. I figure the carts hit some kind of max speed and that ten rollers is enough for that.

Haven't worked out how to shotgun anything. Full carts seem to just launch everything as one mass together, in fact, stuff even stayed in the cart in the above experiment.

A dwarf who rode the cart in the first experiment did not suffer any ill effects when the cart landed. If we ever needed a way to deliver dwarves down great heights, this could be it. Only problem is, of course, that there's no way to 'pause' a mine cart route and no way to lock them down to an individual user.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2012, 06:45:31 am by TinyPirate »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 15, 2012, 07:08:55 am »

Whats the button for auto-place track?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Geb

• Bay Watcher
  • I have lost my spoon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 15, 2012, 07:26:46 am »

I tried to create a circle of track with rollers powered by a windmill to create a neverending cart ride, but the cart keeps on coming to a stop atop the rollers. Any idea why?

I made a circle of track with rollers, and as soon as I put a cart on it, it zoomed off out of control. It didn't stop until I blocked its path with sacrificial yaks, even though the rollers were unpowered.

Williham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 15, 2012, 07:27:32 am »

Minecarts, when used for certain things, have absurdly huge capacities.

For instance, a minecart loaded with cloth has space for about 2 500 rolls of cloth, that is, a staggering 25 million units.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 15, 2012, 07:39:36 am »

Rollers don't need power right now, but they do need to be built on top of track.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 15, 2012, 07:57:23 am »

Everyone is learning(the hard way) this: Minecarts are dangerous.

Also, don't try to push carts up ramps. Its not strong enough, my cart rolled back onto my miner...hitting him in the head, jamming the skull into the brain bla bla bla.
(don't know if the individual dwarf Strength does anything with push force).

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2012, 09:45:32 am »

Minecarts, when used for certain things, have absurdly huge capacities.

For instance, a minecart loaded with cloth has space for about 2 500 rolls of cloth, that is, a staggering 25 million units.

Most objects have ridiculous capacities. A finished goods cart will hold several hundred of them, and a block cart can hold around 100.

I'm making a raw fish cart soon (sanitary as heck), so I should be able to figure out that one too.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2012, 09:47:37 am »

New findings: rollers will not work if "frozen". I know this because, to save myself the trouble of digging or placing wooden minecarts, I embarked on a glacier and carved a track in the ice.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Socializator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress CZ
« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2012, 10:26:49 am »

Since I cant test right now, has anyone checked what is the difference between carved and constructed tracks? E.g. if traps can be laid on one of those etc...
Navštivte českou Dwarf Fortress komunitu a fanpage!

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2012, 10:50:47 am »

I`ve made a long channel with a ramp on each end and like 48 tiles long roller between them.

1) An empty wooden minecart, being pushed into the channel, flies from the other end very fast and stops when it meets an obstacle. Nothing unexpected here.

Now let`s fill the channel with water and see some crazy science!

2)An empty wooden minecart, being pushed into the channel, becomes filled with 833 units of water, relatively slowly moves to the upward ramp and stops on it. From my previous experiment I can add that the minecart can start moving from ramp back on roller and than on ramp again, and it won`t stop while the roller is powered.

And now let`s change the "push" order to "ride".

3) A dwarf, riding a minecart through the water, does not leave it while it is still moving, despite being covered in water and drowning.

4) When a minecart with a dwarf collided with a minecart than was standing on a ramp, something strange happened. Both minecarts left the channel. The first one, which was standing on the ramp, moved like 10 tiles forward (only 2 of them were tracks). The second minecart moved only a tile or two forward, then it stopped, its "pilot" left it, grabbed it and hauled it back to start.
When I was trying to repeat this, the standing minecart also flew 10 tiles forward, but the moving one stopped on a ramp and didn`t even leave the channel. The pilot left it after the stop and went away using the emergency stairs.

Can somebody explain the 4th experiment?

xmakina

• Bay Watcher
  • in lapidem, Libertas
    • View Profile
    • Centre of the Back
« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2012, 10:59:46 am »

833 units? As in 119 complete tiles of water?
Anyone who doesn't have a lever causing global apocalypse isn't playing the game correctly
But it should be easy enough not to use them in a way you feel is dumb while letting other people have their hilarity.

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2012, 11:07:13 am »

833 units? As in 119 complete tiles of water?

Nope, not that units. IIRC results of my another experiment, contents of a minecart make 2/7 water in one tile when being dumped.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2012, 11:13:39 am »

I've found something interesting.  In trying to build a shotgun, I've built a long ramp, a row of fortifications, and then a depot.  You know, so I can fire wooden crafts at the elves.  Except it was the dwarven caravan who happened to arrive.  And it was iron spears.

So, first test fire:
1: A caravan marksdwarf is accidentally standing on the track instead of remaining in the depot.
2: The cart barrels down the constructed hill and slams into the marksdwarf at a rate of about 2 ticks per tile.
3: The marksdwarf is sent flying through the fortifications!
4: The iron spears shotgun out, and strike the marksdwarf while the dwarf is in flight multiple times.
5: The dwarf hits the bridge at the other side of the depot and falls to the ground.

Thoroughly epic.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 15, 2012, 11:24:08 am »

I've found something interesting.  In trying to build a shotgun, I've built a long ramp, a row of fortifications, and then a depot.  You know, so I can fire wooden crafts at the elves.  Except it was the dwarven caravan who happened to arrive.  And it was iron spears.

So, first test fire:
1: A caravan marksdwarf is accidentally standing on the track instead of remaining in the depot.
2: The cart barrels down the constructed hill and slams into the marksdwarf at a rate of about 2 ticks per tile.
3: The marksdwarf is sent flying through the fortifications!
4: The iron spears shotgun out, and strike the marksdwarf while the dwarf is in flight multiple times.
5: The dwarf hits the bridge at the other side of the depot and falls to the ground.

Thoroughly epic.
Awesomest. Thing. Ever.  8)
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 46