Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 324092 times)

denito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2012, 11:22:16 pm »

Been working on some minecart + water science.

Setup #1: Simple flat track going down ramp through a brook (4 tiles wide), up ramp to the other side, where it should dump water into a pit. No rollers. Orders are to push.
Result: Dry run test (river bed empty) resulted in the cart just barely getting up the hill on the other side. More power needed.

Setup #2: Kept same design, but put rollers in the bottom of the brook. Dry run caused the cart to succeed in getting to its destination under its own power. However, with water, it filled up and made to the ramp out of the water, but couldn't get up the hill. Instead, it just kept going partway up, then sliding back down, before the roller next to it tried to push it up again. Inspecting the cart did reveal that it was full of water, but that it weighed 479 Urists (459 of which was the water).

Setup #3: Built a 7z level tall super ramp to try to give it enough momentum to get over the other side. A dry test launched the cart airborne, overshooting the stop by at least 20 tiles before colliding with a mountain. However, the results were not better with the water. Even with rollers in the riverbed, it still couldn't make it over.

Setup #4: Kept the tower, but reduced the tiles underwater to just one track ramp. With the water, it zipped through the ramp and went airborne, but did not collect any water. (It did get a water coating, however).

Setup #5: Expanded the underwater region of the track to two track ramps adjacent to each other. However, this was still too much for it to handle, resulting it stalling at the bottom of the track.

Conclusions: The weight of the water is what kills momentum when sending a cart through it. It may be difficult but possible to get the balance just right where you can send a cart to collect water and not have it stall immediately (someone earlier in the thread was skipping minecarts, so it seems possible).
Also, minecarts that are full of water are useless, as far as I can tell.
Guiding the minecarts (I think) did get them to the end, where they did dump out their contents - however it was only 2/7 worth of it. I'm not sure minecart towers will replace pump stacks anytime soon.

Here's an idea.  Use a pump to lift blocks of water up and onto the track, rather than making the cart go down into the water.  Optionally use a second pump on the other side to suck the water back off the tracks before it can pool.  You can have a roller under the loading spot, or immediately let the cart roll downhill from the watering station.

Edit:  Can a cart with items in it be filled with additional water?  Does having the items reduce the amount of water it can hold, or can they do double duty?
My wife: "Are you playing that midget fort game again?"

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2012, 11:28:09 pm »

Any suggestions on how to fix?

Slopes are buggy, so my first instinct would be to put a flat tile between the two slopes on each side. So the side looks like

_
 \_
   \___

Daenyth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2012, 11:33:05 pm »

Posting to watch.

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2012, 11:38:34 pm »

anyone have any luck with getting minecarts to go up a ramp under the power of a roller? eg: when not being pushed (which I have seen work)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2012, 11:48:57 pm »

Posting to watch.
You can just mark the thead as to "Notify" you without posting.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2012, 11:49:34 pm »

anyone have any luck with getting minecarts to go up a ramp under the power of a roller? eg: when not being pushed (which I have seen work)

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109460.msg3284069#msg3284069

Riemann

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2012, 11:57:03 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=109460.msg3284069#msg3284069

so were you able to get it to work or is there a bug?

It looks like you hit the same problem I did and your edit doesn't make it clear how things turned out.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 16, 2012, 12:01:48 am »

Yeah, it works just as described in the post NW_Kohaku quoted.

DanteThanatos

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:hollow eyes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 16, 2012, 12:10:05 am »

Posting to watch.
You can just mark the thead as to "Notify" you without posting.

I didn't knew about that...I'm never going to post "PTW" again.

Slopes are buggy, so my first instinct would be to put a flat tile between the two slopes on each side. So the side looks like

_
 \_
   \___

I've come to always make two tiles of track before going up/down a ramp AND making two after the ramp being the second tile the turning one(if I need to turn ofc).
Have worked fine for me. The only thing is:try not to mess with Routes and order the cart to be pushed UP ramp. Killed my miner when it went back on him.(Took less than a couple frames too...the miner died don't knowing what killed him)

About the water filled cart, one could make a contraption like this:

Cart comes along a track with rollers, activates a Pressure plate, pressure plate releases a door/floodgate holding water(or magma) that pour into the cart from a z-lvl above, the pressure plate goes off re-sealing the door. (Did I got it wrong?? A locked door is the "OFF" state of a PP or is it the "ON" state?) Liquid Loading Stations, anyone?

It would take a lot of work and surely wouldn't surpass pump-stacks (2/7 deep water/magma per cart it seems),but a single massive cistern would be easily guided to wherever you need said liquid with the use of clever tracks/routes and a large amount of carts.

Edit: Little mistake.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 12:11:46 am by DanteThanatos »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2012, 12:28:30 am »

This talk of sending minecarts through magma reminds me of this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qN_QrxD0I0
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2012, 01:39:17 am »

So it seems my cart doesn't want to have one of those "major collisions" Toady talked about. I have a "synchrotron" in which I bring minecarts to their terminal velocity, then I try to slam them into fortifactions. It is set up so they are automatically transported back to their reloading station after slamming into the fortifications, could this be the problem? I have it setup like this:
Code: [Select]
===#==
<<<<.
with < being a roller and its direction, # being the fortification and = a wall section. They come from below in this diagram.

I am using a wooden minecart loaded with 4 boulders and a lot of stone crafts, shouldn't that be heavy and fast enough?

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2012, 02:34:35 am »

I set up an experimental pig smasher like so
Code: [Select]
#########
======Fp#
#######D#
cart comes from left, kicked by a dwarf, full of stone,
F is fortification, D is door to swine cave
Well, first try nothing happened, turns out I forgot to engrave the fortification.  It had taken a bit of time to load up the cart the first time, so I didn't shut down the hauling route, assuming the engraver would be gone in plenty of time.  Turns out the cart was still full, and he got smashed twice before I figured out what was going on, smashing his left arm and bruising his liver.  He crawled off, vomiting, and I got someone else to engrave the fortification.  No luck.  Stones do not fly out of a cart through fortifications when the cart is kicked by a dwarf, I'll try rollers next.  I removed the fortification, and just mashed the pig.  It took three hits to kill it.

EDIT:  a kick down a 3 z ramp doesn't work either.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:55:19 am by Sadrice »

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2012, 03:53:17 am »

I'm not sure minecart towers will replace pump stacks anytime soon.

It all depends of needed quantities. If you just need a single magma tile 100 levels above magma layer, you can just fill some magma-proof minecarts with magma and assign them to a little track near your destination point. Your haulers will just bring the minecarts there, and then you can dump the contents.
But for siege-burning purposes pump stacks are still better.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2012, 04:09:09 am »

I'm currently having a bit of a hauler loop.  I deconstructed the depot on the dwarven caravan because during my minecart experiments I forgot to actually tell my dwarves to plant plump helmets, so they had to drink my engraver's vomit (he got hit in the liver with a cart full of rocks), and also forgot to make trade goods.  Anyways, all the furniture I looted from the traders got carried to a stockpile feeding a cart route that dumps into my quantum furniture pile.  Everything worked out fine, and lots of crap got dumped, but then 4 decorated bags started gumming things up.  They get put in the pile, moved to the cart, moved back to the pile, moved to the cart, moved back to the pile, etc.  Anyone know why this is?  Are bags weird?  Is there a bug with decorated items?  Is it some sort of residual ownership by the merchants (the rest of the furniture was fine)?

EDIT:  There seem to be about 5 bags with this problem, mixed dyed pig tail and leather, at least a few of them aren't decorated.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:13:20 am by Sadrice »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 46