Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322782 times)

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #135 on: May 16, 2012, 10:29:19 am »

If you're not getting objects to launch, then I suggest increasing the velocity.

I did 30z length ramp, 1 length track after it & fortification & I doesn't launch minecart cargo =/

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 16, 2012, 10:55:37 am »

I'd want lower speed for things like marksdwarf carts or for pushing heavy items through hallways.  Faster than dwarf guiding, slow enough to avoid lethality.  Or slow enough that the archers have time to enjoy the ride.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 16, 2012, 11:07:24 am »

By the way, it looks like we can easily move minor quantities of magma anywhere now, without pistons/pumps. Just fill some minecarts with it and assign them to be emptied where you need. Three minecarts must be enough for magma forge.

Can you do the same with wheelbarrows?

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 16, 2012, 11:18:45 am »

Posting to watch.
You can just mark the thead as to "Notify" you without posting.

That emails you with notifications. Sometimes you just want it added to the "show new replies to your posts" list.

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: May 16, 2012, 11:20:47 am »

By the way, it looks like we can easily move minor quantities of magma anywhere now, without pistons/pumps. Just fill some minecarts with it and assign them to be emptied where you need. Three minecarts must be enough for magma forge.

Can you do the same with wheelbarrows?

No, wheelbarrows do not get filled with liquid when submerged.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 16, 2012, 11:25:15 am »

Findings:

-As soon as a second cart reaches the same track, the first cart seems to fly off.
   -A dwarf carrying a baby will drop it when they board a cart.
   -A dwarf affected with a werecurse will remain onboard during and after transformation:

-A creature riding on a cart is very difficult to hit at range (see above).

The first point here somewhat hinders the carousel, so I might try a redesign with fortifications. Extra tracks is another possibility but less than ideal.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 16, 2012, 11:29:37 am »

I foresee a bolt-splitter here, if you put a werecreature on a cart and position your marksdwarves far enough away, you could have them fire at the werebeast, miss, and collect their unstacked bolts.  Either for melting or for loading into minecarts - they don't unstack when launched off a cart, but if they're already singular then that'll work.

flieroflight

• Bay Watcher
  • Worship the nightmare
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 16, 2012, 11:32:41 am »

Out of interest, has anyone determined the most efficent way of achieving content launching for causing terminal perforations on invaders/ elfs/nobles/sacrifices?
Bay12 doesn't have moral event horizons, it has goals.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 16, 2012, 11:33:45 am »

I foresee a bolt-splitter here, if you put a werecreature on a cart and position your marksdwarves far enough away, you could have them fire at the werebeast, miss, and collect their unstacked bolts.  Either for melting or for loading into minecarts - they don't unstack when launched off a cart, but if they're already singular then that'll work.

'Tis true. The two marksdwarves (who hadn't been injured due to earlier "incidents") emptied their quivers entirely over the walls. With a couple of dozen it would be quite the show.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 16, 2012, 01:04:30 pm »

How cart go uphill? I want to have my miners live in the mines and occasionally send up bins of ore, so far I've created an automatic ass-kicking device that stops at the uphill ramp slingshots back and runs over whoever tried to push it.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 16, 2012, 02:04:22 pm »

...has anyone determined the most efficent way of achieving content launching for causing terminal perforations on invaders...?

This -
"New stuff
Minecarts can be used to haul things around on carved/constructed tracks/bridges ('h'auling to set up routes)
Dwarves can be set to guide, push off, or ride carts that are ready to move to the next stop
Track stops used to slow/stop cart and/or dump the contents on vehicle entry, can be disengaged with lever/plate
Pressure plates can be triggered by carts
Rollers can be used to push cart along when powered
Minecarts limited to one per tile in general, various collisions can occur
Wheelbarrows can be linked to stockpiles in order to move heavy objects (it'll auto-request one for stone stockpiles)
Falling objects can collide with critters
Camera can be attached to unit or item, can be linked to hotkeys from the unit/item screens"

Nothing about content physics.

I think there is only way to "launch" minecart content is to assign it to stop & unload it. But thing is there is no way to launch this content how it Girlinhat did. It was his joke. The minecart is unload all content at directed tile & move out without stop. This content doesn't have kinetic power of minecart when it unloaded.
There is no other way to "launch" content.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 02:32:45 pm by Burmalay »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 16, 2012, 02:15:41 pm »

You missed an A.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 16, 2012, 02:29:26 pm »

Has anyone but replicated girlinhat's spearthrower?  Needlessly high ramps don't seem to work.  I haven't tried rollers as I don't have wind or surface water, but I'll build a reactor down in the caverns.

Has anyone figured out the trick to making linear (not looping) but not straight tracks?  Do you have to double designate stops at the corners for both directions?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 16, 2012, 02:38:50 pm »

Nothing about content physics.
Read the previous dev logs, specfically the one on 10 May 2012. Toady has definitely written about stuff flying out of carts on derail.

So far everyone's been obsessed with trying to 'shotgun' the contents of minecarts after having it crash into a wall/fortification. As I recall from dev logs, walls are designed to PREVENT minecarts from derailing. Try a sharp corner with a ludicrous speed minecart. Add the fortification after confirming the shotgun firing.

tl;dr: read dev logs, yer doin it wrong.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 16, 2012, 02:44:05 pm »

Except I believe girlinhat reported crashing it directly into a fortification with launch of contents.  In any cas, going down a ramp, off the end of the track and over 1 tile of rough floor before hitting a pig does not launch the contents.  It just kills the pig, and the hauler then drags the full cart back up to the top, smashing the guy who came to get the pig (and still not launching the rocks).
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 46