Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322828 times)

MisterMoxxie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #165 on: May 16, 2012, 06:02:23 pm »

Welp, I've still got a lot to learn. My first quantum dump cart ended up knocking out both my doctors, and wounding another person while I was trying to build a shotgun. Hrmph.
Update: 4/5/12 : 9:35 pm
So apparently, this one dwarf is just walking around with a huge, gaping hole in his chest, with a slightly smashed heart, and bleeding absolutely everywhere, and he is PUNCHING OUT ZOMBIES.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 16, 2012, 06:07:37 pm »

Perhaps the biggest thing is that mine was above ground.  It had no ceiling at all.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: May 16, 2012, 06:08:31 pm »

gF-^^^^^=====#

Thank You, but I don't understand how this thing works...
I have tried 5 & 6 z-high ramp with 5-tile roller booster powered & unpowered, I have tried loop booster with 5 & 6 z-high ramp & nothing.
What kind of magic did you use? =)
I got it to work.  Try removing the ceiling, and also make sure that the last track isn't an end piece.  Not sure if both are necessary, but I did both and it worked, the sow got hammered with a cartload of rocks, breaking most limbs and bruising the liver, a kidney, and a lung.

dhoovr

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 16, 2012, 06:24:31 pm »

So how do bridges work with tracks? I need to make a bridge to prevent derailing on one track but then open up for another.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: May 16, 2012, 06:29:13 pm »

Well, I' underwhelmed. I found a vampire, so I decided to let my minecart do the execution. I've got a tight spiral running down from my fort near the surface down to my forges at the magma sea. It goes down a ramp, makes a left turn, down a ramp, left turn, etc. all the way down. It's very NASCAR with all the left turns. I've got it set to get filled with kaolinite and be pushed down. It also gets fast enough that I must have walls at the outside of every corner or the cart flies off. So I mined out the wall outside of a corner and put in a lever set to only be used by the vampire and set it to repeat. He came down and started pulling, the cart got filled and came down. It flew off and hit him, but didn't even break any bones. So I waited for someone to drag it down to the bottom and push it back up to the top for another trip. Still only bruises. A copper minecart with 5 boulders of kaolinite ought to do more than that. I just checked and he's completely healed up already before the cart if full for the third run.

I guess I need to find a more effective way. Maybe I'll make a nice jump into the caverns and make sure he rides it down.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 16, 2012, 06:39:45 pm »

So how do bridges work with tracks? I need to make a bridge to prevent derailing on one track but then open up for another.

Bridges are not destroying tracks. & when bridge are lowered it works like ground so minecart are just move over it at direction of the last track.
I'm tried to make a controllable T-intersection with floodgates but thing is when 1st way is blocked by floodgate & 2nd are vacant the minecart are not trying to turn to vacant track. It moves in last track direction. So it doesn't work.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 06:46:20 pm by Burmalay »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 16, 2012, 06:43:51 pm »

Bridges ARE tracks, according to Toady.  A minecart will travel over a bridge as easily as it will a track section.  You can also mount doors and floodgates atop track tiles.

Vampires are tough buggers.  Use moar axes.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: May 16, 2012, 06:56:57 pm »

Holy hell. A kea just took one of my stopped minecarts RIGHT OFF THE TRACKS.

EDIT:

"Are you suggesting minecarts migrate?"

EDIT2:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 07:02:50 pm by Jacob/Lee »

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 16, 2012, 07:17:34 pm »

Partially filled bins work really wonkily with minecarts. I was annoyed enough by it to submit it as a bug.

Buttery_Mess

• Bay Watcher
  • 11x11
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 16, 2012, 07:25:39 pm »

I suppose a levered door over a carved track is the best way to stop an infinitely looping minecart. I'm thinking that a gauntlet of infinite loop minecarts will be a good way to defend my next fort.
But .... It's so small!
It's not the size of the pick that counts... it's the size of the man with the pick.

spudcosmic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: May 16, 2012, 08:15:17 pm »

Holy hell. A kea just took one of my stopped minecarts RIGHT OFF THE TRACKS.
Those damn rhesus macaque also steal minecarts.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: May 16, 2012, 08:27:22 pm »

I haven't got a shotgun working yet due to shoddy building practices, but assuming the GIH railcannon design works, what do we do for ammo?

Spears seems the obvious choice, but what about picks? And while the sharp stuff has obvious appeal, has anyone shotgunned a cart full of silver maces?

For that matter, how about stones? or crafts? or fluffy wamblers?

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 16, 2012, 08:28:20 pm »

So I got a minecart on the tracks, filled up with stone... and a dorf picked the minecart up and is now hauling it to what I can assume is another stop. What the hell? For some reason my route doesn't follow my tracks at all, it cuts diagnolly through my fort to the stop.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 16, 2012, 10:00:17 pm »

I've been using carts full of stones for testing.  So far, one cart of stones (which is I think 6 stones) does not usually kill a pig, though it causes significant injury (shattered bones and bruised organs).

Lordraymond

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't afraid of anything
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: May 16, 2012, 10:14:45 pm »

DF is possessed and telling me not to experiment with carts it seems. On two consecutive new forts I've faced disaster. On the first my woodcutter and mason were torn apart by gators, now my miner derped and caved himself in, currently being treated for a punctured lung and smashed finger. Lovely.
The question is: how do you profaine a temple dedicated to pure greed?
Give a donation.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 46