Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322756 times)

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #195 on: May 17, 2012, 02:31:00 am »

There's a bit in today's devlog about getting rollers to speed up carts more, and getting ramps to work better, so we may need to scrap all this ‼SCIENCE‼ anyway...
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 17, 2012, 02:34:56 am »

No, it just means refining the !!SCIENCE!! - the principle of railguns and shotguns are the same, just easier to achieve in the next version.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: May 17, 2012, 02:40:57 am »

I haven't got a shotgun working yet due to shoddy building practices, but assuming the GIH railcannon design works, what do we do for ammo?

Spears seems the obvious choice, but what about picks? And while the sharp stuff has obvious appeal, has anyone shotgunned a cart full of silver maces?

For that matter, how about stones? or crafts? or fluffy wamblers?
For maximum ‼Fun‼, I think a bunch of  ‼lignite blocks‼ would be the way to go. Sure, it will probably lead to more ...collateral damage, but who cares about that stuff anyway?
The logistics of getting them in the cart in the first place may be a challenge though.

Or maybe just fill to capacity with cinnabar?

Holy hell. A kea just took one of my stopped minecarts RIGHT OFF THE TRACKS.
What.

"Look, it's just a question of weight ratios!"
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 02:44:19 am by Sus »
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 17, 2012, 02:50:37 am »

The minecart was reach tile of track which is located under the bridge in the moment when bridge has being lowered & it doesn't being smashed by the bridge =/ Atomic Smasher is doesn't work with minecarts?

STOP! My bad. In the second try it smashed the minecart.

Better to build retracted bridge. It appears on track & doesn't smash minecart (does it? =)).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:28:00 am by Burmalay »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 17, 2012, 03:00:39 am »

I guess in my next fort I'll definitely embark with a doctor. I have no idea how the dwarfs manage to ride a heavy cart of flat ground faster than their friends can dogde away...

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 17, 2012, 03:33:48 am »

I've done a bit of science, which will probably have to be redone with the upcoming rollers tweak.

I built a track to test how far a cart goes when pushed by a dwarf, and when rollers are added:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
DATA:
It seems weight and dwarf speed make no difference in travel distance.  It tried vanilla, SPEED:1, empty, and loaded with rocks.  No observable difference when pushed.  Rollers seem to work weirdly.  Adding 1 highest speed roller adds 43 tiles traveled, adding another adds 60, another adds 12, another adds 19, another adds 33.

dhoovr

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 17, 2012, 03:56:12 am »

I've done a bit of science, which will probably have to be redone with the upcoming rollers tweak.

I built a track to test how far a cart goes when pushed by a dwarf, and when rollers are added:
DATA:
It seems weight and dwarf speed make no difference in travel distance.  It tried vanilla, SPEED:1, empty, and loaded with rocks.  No observable difference when pushed.  Rollers seem to work weirdly.  Adding 1 highest speed roller adds 43 tiles traveled, adding another adds 60, another adds 12, another adds 19, another adds 33.

You should also consider that turns slow down the carts.
An interesting (not that this isn't) test would be the velocity added to the cart by the dwarf and the deceleration caused by turns and track friction via kinematics (∆X = VoT + (1/2)A(T^2) or (V^2) = (Vo^2) + 2A∆X) so we can plan the tracks accordingly before building.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 17, 2012, 04:08:25 am »

I thought of that, but couldn't be bothered to set up the alternate trackway (very long track with no turns) to figure out the details. 
Something else I didn't specifically test for but noticed:  different dwarves (with different strengths, I assume) push the cart the same distance.
Another odd thing I noticed is that vanilla dwarves and speed:1 dwarves seem to drag boulders and laden minecarts at about the same speed.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 17, 2012, 04:26:01 am »

I dropped minecart in shaft from 40+ z-level high on the ramp & minecart doesn't continue its movement it's just stuck on ramp tile  =/
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 04:28:59 am by Burmalay »

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #204 on: May 17, 2012, 04:33:43 am »

I dropped minecart in shaft from 40+ z-level high on the ramp & minecart doesn't continue its movement it's just stuck on ramp tile  =/

Try putting a roller at the bottom of the drop?
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 17, 2012, 04:39:10 am »

Try putting a roller at the bottom of the drop?

Yes. The roller are pushed minecart in the right direction but I  block minecart way with fortification to overturn it to drop its content (to make shotgun) but it doesn't works =(
Fall speed & roller push are not summarized i think. Minecart are just stops after fall & speeds up with roller.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 05:14:05 am by Burmalay »

Gigaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 17, 2012, 05:51:41 am »

I guess in my next fort I'll definitely embark with a doctor. I have no idea how the dwarfs manage to ride a heavy cart of flat ground faster than their friends can dogde away...

I found out why my dwarfs are so uncareful...

They respect the automatic traffic restrictions on built and carved tracks. They however don't care about the bridges which form my outside tracks  :P

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 17, 2012, 06:42:18 am »

!!SCIENCE!! A four-ramp drop and then 20 rollers WILL shotgun bolts through a fortification. I could see lining an entrance hallway with fortifications and carts filled with bolts. Excessively complex, but it would be funny, I guess.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 17, 2012, 06:54:56 am »

Here's a picture of the !!SCIENCE!! in action vs. a pasture of puppies and a baby llama.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 17, 2012, 07:05:00 am »

Addendum: Should a dwarf ride the cart the dwarf and the bolts all get jammed up in the fortifications. He was hit by the cart and then almost every crossbow bolt!

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 46