Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322752 times)

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #210 on: May 17, 2012, 07:30:56 am »

!!SCIENCE!! A four-ramp drop and then 20 rollers WILL shotgun bolts through a fortification. I could see lining an entrance hallway with fortifications and carts filled with bolts. Excessively complex, but it would be funny, I guess.

Cool, but it didn't work =/ I build even 30 rollers & nothing. What's wrong with it? Am I playing different game? =)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 17, 2012, 07:34:19 am »

Remove the roof above the shotgun.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 17, 2012, 07:35:34 am »

Remove the roof above the shotgun.

I built it at open air.

TinyPirate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 17, 2012, 07:50:27 am »

!!SCIENCE!! A four-ramp drop and then 20 rollers WILL shotgun bolts through a fortification. I could see lining an entrance hallway with fortifications and carts filled with bolts. Excessively complex, but it would be funny, I guess.

Cool, but it didn't work =/ I build even 30 rollers & nothing. What's wrong with it? Am I playing different game? =)

I think there is a limit to acceleration provided by rollers, maybe 20 or even a few less. No need for thirty. Also, the end of the track isn't a stop, it's just track and then fortification. Starting at the top of a string of ramps also appears to be vitally important.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 17, 2012, 08:03:17 am »

20 doesn't work too... OK, I'll just wait for next game release.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 17, 2012, 08:50:12 am »

0.34.09 was released a couple of hours ago.

There seems to be a bug where when a cart moves over a roller, as well as accelerating that cart, every other cart on a track is accelerated in the same direction. This explains why my carts keep flying off the track, or suddenly speed up/slow down.

Has anybody else found this? It's clearly a bug, but I can't make sense of the bugtracker.

In other news, necromancers will animate bodyparts on a moving minecart (happyface), but the zombies will drop off the cart (sadface). It took several tries for the necromancer to "notice" the kobold corpses I used, with a view of 5 tracks tiles, so if you want to use this a wider view of over 10 tiles is recommended.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 17, 2012, 09:30:08 am »

0.34.09 was released a couple of hours ago.

There seems to be a bug where when a cart moves over a roller, as well as accelerating that cart, every other cart on a track is accelerated in the same direction. This explains why my carts keep flying off the track, or suddenly speed up/slow down.

Has anybody else found this? It's clearly a bug, but I can't make sense of the bugtracker.

Upload a save game file that demonstrates the bug, and post the link here. Someone else can then assist with the bug tracker.

PsychicKid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 17, 2012, 11:03:09 am »

So uh, how do I fix the route problem where my dwarf is just hauling a cart diagnolly instead of pushing it down my tracks? I don't have the fort in question anymore, but I had a long stretch of track going through a hallway then turning south at a corner, going to the other end. Stop A in the north west, stop B in the south east essentially, yet my dorf just picks up the thing and runs through my hallways with it.

What.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: May 17, 2012, 11:14:20 am »

So uh, how do I fix the route problem where my dwarf is just hauling a cart diagnolly instead of pushing it down my tracks? I don't have the fort in question anymore, but I had a long stretch of track going through a hallway then turning south at a corner, going to the other end. Stop A in the north west, stop B in the south east essentially, yet my dorf just picks up the thing and runs through my hallways with it.

What.

There's a break in your track somewhere. Or you're starting off in the wrong direction. There may be a yellow ! in front of your stop in the route planner...

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 17, 2012, 11:38:56 am »

Upload a save game file that demonstrates the bug, and post the link here. Someone else can then assist with the bug tracker.

Uploaded: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=6324

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: May 17, 2012, 12:34:50 pm »

So, do we need stonefall traps anymore? The damage from couple of stone falling from several z-levels is much more then from stonefall trap.

[]S1---/----S2 This is how it looks. I didn't test it. Just in mind.
[]                         D - Locked door
H=D                      = - Tunnel
[]                         H - Hatch
[]                         S1 - Stop without friction & with unload to Hutch direction (minecart must fall in shaft too).
[]                         S2 - Just stop for load
[]                         - - Track
[]                         [] - Shaft
[]                         P/G - Goblin at the Pressure plate
[]
P/G

You just need to set some stone quantity for minecart load & push it to shaft to make it safe from haulers. Then just wait for little thief-friends. & when they activate pressure plate a stack of stones will do its job. Then dorfs just haul everything & reload trap automatically.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:40:47 pm by Burmalay »

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: May 17, 2012, 01:05:52 pm »

What.
Try setting a hauling point at each corner for both directions of travel.  For a track shaped like:
Code: [Select]
B--------A
|
|
C
you need 4 stops (from the h-s menu, not b-C-S).  One at A, marked ride west whenever, one at B marked ride south immediately always, one at C marked ride north immediately when empty (or whatever) and another at B, marked ride east immediately always.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 01:07:23 pm by Sadrice »

webber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: May 17, 2012, 01:40:07 pm »

when a cart moves over a roller, as well as accelerating that cart, every other cart on a track is accelerated in the same direction.

This explains "quantum entanglement".

jwest23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: May 17, 2012, 01:53:59 pm »

Is manual unloading of minecarts via "give to stockpile" broken for everybody or it`s just me doing something wrong? The only way I can empty the minecart is to dump the contents on a stop.

I had this same experience in .08.  I can't test it now, but is it any different in .09?

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: May 17, 2012, 02:23:37 pm »

So, do carts going up ramps work properly in this version?

I'll test it in a minute but if someone else already has that'd be great.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 46