Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322738 times)

Yuuzhan

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Secretive Dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #255 on: May 18, 2012, 04:16:35 am »

I am using both carved and constructed tracks with NS ramps. They work perfectly, however I've spent much time trying to understand why I can't create hauling route that goes between levels - solution was easy:

Code: [Select]
      ===
=====RW__   

where
_ - just simple boring floor
= - rails (carved were also under ramp!)
R - two-directional ramp, only on lower level
W - solid wall just after the ramp, probably to indicate direction of ramp, where is upper edge, and the where is lower

se5a

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: May 18, 2012, 05:01:10 am »

apologys if it's already been said, but how many rollers/how much power do you need to get a minecart up a z level now?

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: May 18, 2012, 05:49:48 am »

FINAL-FINAL-FINAL EDITION!

To build shotgun you DON'T NEED ROLLERS!!! you only need 3 RAMPS-HIGH construction & it seems firing range (how far will objects fly) of minecart content doesn't depends on speed of minecart.

Shot with stone blocks.

NOTICE How blocks are distributed! I you will try to make a shotgun in a 3 width-tile corridor the blocks will distribute to LEFT & RIGHT side of corridor & the center will be empty of blocks or will be couple of it & the enemy which moving in the center of corridor will be safe!

Maximum efficiently you can reach by this construction -

F      I
  F   g I
=F    gI
  F   g I
  F      I

= - Track
F - Fortification
g - Goblins
I - Wall
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:02:23 am by Burmalay »

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: May 18, 2012, 06:00:14 am »

Haven't gotten exact data but 10 rollers at highest setting will accelerate a cart from a standstill to climb at least 8 ramps.  I would have found the maximum, but I dug into the aquifer from the bottom while expanding my ramp.

Just a dwarf pushing it is NOT enough, and it will come back and smash him, though people said that guiding it works. 

EDIT: this is with ordinary carved ramps that go both directions. 1 way ramps do not seem to be necessary or helpful.

EDIT 2: well I feel stupid, I meant 10 rollers, not one roller.  1 roller at highest rolls a cart up 1 (but not 2) ramps.  I suspect each roller gives about a ramp's worth of impulse.

EDIT 3: weird, unable to replicate that result in another fortress.  This time 10 rollers on highest lift it up 1 and only 1 ramp.  The only difference I can see is that this ramp is N/S with S uphill while the other was E/W with W uphill.  They are two way ramps, which didn't matter last time I tried this.

EDIT 4: E/W ramps only get one ramp of lift too.  Using one way ramps prevents carts from climbing at all (I think).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 07:52:01 am by Sadrice »

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: May 18, 2012, 07:38:38 am »

This construction may automate & secure gathering of the minecart content, I think.

This construction had a very narrow hit zone.
The minecart awaits the moment when goblin are touches pressure-plate which activate hatch with the minecart & then minecart falls on rollers which move it to ramps & hit fortification. The minimal flying path of minecart content (objects) are 7 tiles (6 clear tiles) (look at the image in my previews post) so those objects are fly through corridor & goblins & drops into the very high shaft to make its gathering safer.
The block marked as "?" - May be any kind of construction to make objects passable but not goblins & building destroyers.

ADDED: Some of minecart content (blocks) are stops flying when they collide with the object (goblins) but those which are not collided are continue its flying & fly through 2 rows of fortification & 3 tiles between them (at the image the block which marked as "?" are fortification).
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:28:08 am by Burmalay »
« Reply #260 on: May 18, 2012, 08:00:04 am »

So minecarts will continue on a track after falling?

Is there a limit to how far they can fall? Are there any unexpected consequences of dropping a minecart down a shaft to an area you need it? It's not going to just explode after hitting the ground after a 100 z-level drop, is it?

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: May 18, 2012, 08:06:52 am »

I'm dropping minecart from 40+ z-levels & it hit the roller & move forward. Nothing unexpected. It was on 0.34.08 build.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:09:27 am by Burmalay »
« Reply #262 on: May 18, 2012, 08:09:30 am »

I'm dropping minecart from 40+ z-levels & it hit the roller & move forward. Nothing unexpected.

Does it have to hit a roller to continue moving on?

Not sure if I need any more movement after the drop though... I am thinking I will have the goods I need delivered to the lower sections drop down when filled, empty it's load and gather the metal bars/armor/weapons crafted in the magma forges, then send the cart off on another track powered by rollers to take the cart back up to the main area.

There is so much empty space between my magma forge and the rest of my fort, that some of the less hearty of my dwarves keep dying from the long trek back and forth XD

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: May 18, 2012, 08:15:42 am »

A minecart which is falling straight down must be acted on by a roller to continue moving horizontally.  If a cart lands onto a ramp, it treats the ramp as a floor.  You need rollers.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: May 18, 2012, 08:21:12 am »

So minecarts will continue on a track after falling?

Is there a limit to how far they can fall? Are there any unexpected consequences of dropping a minecart down a shaft to an area you need it? It's not going to just explode after hitting the ground after a 100 z-level drop, is it?
Minecarts will lose all forward speed when you drop them down a chute (but not if you let them fly forward and land on the track).  Carts that land on rollers get pushed by the rollers.  Carts that land on ramps do not roll down the ramp

I noticed a weird thing with rollers.  I had both E->W and N->S rollers active in the same room, linked to the same power source, and when I tried to use the N/S track the cart went very fast off rails diagonally SW from the cart stop.  Deconstructing the E-W roller stopped this behavior.  Apparently carts do not have to actually be on the roller to be influenced by it, and differently facing rollers can add the force vector together.  I don't know what the limits of this are yet (does it work across the map?) but this is surely not intended behavior.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: May 18, 2012, 08:34:14 am »

I noticed a weird thing with rollers.  I had both E->W and N->S rollers active in the same room, linked to the same power source, and when I tried to use the N/S track the cart went very fast off rails diagonally SW from the cart stop.  Deconstructing the E-W roller stopped this behavior.  Apparently carts do not have to actually be on the roller to be influenced by it, and differently facing rollers can add the force vector together.  I don't know what the limits of this are yet (does it work across the map?) but this is surely not intended behavior.

It's probably related to the one I mentioned a couple of pages back. According to the bugtracker, it looks like it's been fixed for the next release, so exploit it while you can.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: May 18, 2012, 08:55:55 am »

The wine barrels are not explode when I shoot them with a shotgun =(

Ves

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: May 18, 2012, 08:58:29 am »

Can anyone improve on this system for filling carts with liquid?

The cart runs over a grate laid over a hole, not a grate laid over track laid over a hole. The cart can pass over several grates guided by walls before rerailing itself.

The floodgate can be opened to refill the cistern when it's empty, but if you leave it open all the time, you end up with overflow that pushes the cart off the track.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: May 18, 2012, 09:13:57 am »

Verified that:

Ramming any heavy object (other minecarts, dragons, etc.) causes the cart to "crash" and spill its contents.

Jumping on top of water so that you skip down is the only safe way to leave a fast-moving cart other than to wait for it to come to a complete stop.

"Crashing" a fluid-filled minecart causes a 2/7 fluid spill. Verified magma spill.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: May 18, 2012, 11:47:23 am »

Does crashed fluid cart send a shotgun style?  Are obsidian collides possible?
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 46