Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322736 times)

Tryble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #420 on: May 26, 2012, 07:07:47 pm »

Edit:  My mistake.  I was seeing something odd due to an altered tileset.  Disregard!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 05:27:56 pm by Tryble »

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
  • likes skeletons for their afros
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: May 26, 2012, 07:17:53 pm »

If you inspect a ramp [k] and it is built correctly, it will display "Upward Ramp" with no direction note.  If it's not built right you'll see "Upward Ramp [NS]" or something along those lines. 

You can double check your ramps with this to make sure carts will be pushed up without bouncing back and snapping the spine of the only doctor in the fortress, paralyzing him forever.

But then it is no track and the cart will loose a lot of momentum and/or topple, also a dwarf wont push it up there, he will haul it.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: May 26, 2012, 08:44:00 pm »

Bluddy heck. I've got a nice secluded spot so I can learn how to work tracks and minecarts (and to play a bit of Rollercoaster Tycoon) but I've always been daunted by power and the like and can't figure out how to link my windmill (which is turning) to my roller.  :-\

Can't connect rollers from above. Connect from the side.

Khym Chanur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: May 27, 2012, 12:50:39 am »

Bluddy heck. I've got a nice secluded spot so I can learn how to work tracks and minecarts (and to play a bit of Rollercoaster Tycoon) but I've always been daunted by power and the like and can't figure out how to link my windmill (which is turning) to my roller.  :-\

You might want to try a water wheel perpetual motion machine (a.k.a. "water reactor"), which can provide you with lots of power without the need for rivers or wind.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: May 27, 2012, 04:20:16 am »

It's probably too arid for that. But the windmill does provide power so that's not the issue.

Maybe I should just rebuild it right next to the

Fuck me. "    Windmills may only connect to machinery directly below their center tile. " How could I have missed that.  ::)

I imagine placing it on top of a gear assembly attached to the roller would work?

Can't connect rollers from above. Connect from the side.

The problem was connecting the windmill to the delivery system. I think I know what to do now. Thanks dude(tte)s.

edit: powered up. Success.

Of a sort. Still won't catapult a -willow minecart- up a teensy little ramp. Alignment is correct, thing is working with an excess of power (mill produces 20, thing needs 8.)
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 05:23:02 am by AWdeV »
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: May 27, 2012, 05:23:28 am »

Fuck me. "    Windmills may only connect to machinery directly below their center tile. " How could I have missed that.  ::)

I imagine placing it on top of a gear assembly attached to the roller would work?

That is the standard approach.  Bear in mind if you attach that gear to a lever and disable it the windmill will deconstruct as it has no support.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: May 27, 2012, 07:13:50 am »

I didn't attach it to a lever because it's just for practice anyway. It also rests on a 3 by 3 floor with a one-tile hole in the middle which leans on a completely superfluous limestone block wall underneath.

It still doesn't provide the oomph required to hurl the cart up a ramp though. Would a bigger roller work? I'll try.

oven_baked

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: May 27, 2012, 09:52:47 am »

While messing about with them and testing a system to haul stone to the surface i've discovered that setting dwarfs to "ride" or "push" down long ramps is not a good idea.
The test dwarfs found out the hard way:
The planter's right eye takes the full force of the impact, bruising the right eyelid's skin though the (pig tail fiber cloak)!
And:
The miner's upper body takes the full force of the impact, bruising the muscle, jamming the right true ribs though the left lung and tearing apart the left lung!

We just need to get Toady to embed a Lisp interpreter into DF.  Learning lambda calculus in order to play the game wouldn't make DF's learning curve much steeper.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: May 27, 2012, 10:07:51 am »

Ooh damn. I just send a master miner hurtling down a newly made complex. Her cart failed to make a bend. Or rather, I did. Fixed that now.

Cart keeps getting stuck on a ramp but I imagine that's because I have the wrong ramp.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: May 27, 2012, 11:26:52 am »

does guided route work even if I don't specify items to be taken, but just list which piles are linked at start and stop?

also, if I use a stop for multiple routes, can multiple carts wait at the same stop?

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: May 27, 2012, 12:18:07 pm »

does guided route work even if I don't specify items to be taken, but just list which piles are linked at start and stop?

also, if I use a stop for multiple routes, can multiple carts wait at the same stop?
yes, also yes.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: May 27, 2012, 03:04:09 pm »

I'm trying to have a minecart route to take sand bags from a stockpile next to my glass furnace near the surface, and dump them down a shaft to land near my magma glass furnace down by the magma sea. The problem I have is that 11 sandbags only makes the cart 3% full, and the lowest setting I can set is to have it move when 25% full. It looks like that will be about 100 sandbags, and I don't really want to fill that many. I could just make it go after a time period, regardless of how full it is, but then I'll end up with an empty cart being shuttled back and forth when I'm not doing any glassmaking. That seems kind of silly. Am I missing a way to set the departure condition to something like 5% full? Or some other solution?
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: May 27, 2012, 04:27:14 pm »

I'm trying to have a minecart route to take sand bags from a stockpile next to my glass furnace near the surface, and dump them down a shaft to land near my magma glass furnace down by the magma sea. The problem I have is that 11 sandbags only makes the cart 3% full, and the lowest setting I can set is to have it move when 25% full. It looks like that will be about 100 sandbags, and I don't really want to fill that many. I could just make it go after a time period, regardless of how full it is, but then I'll end up with an empty cart being shuttled back and forth when I'm not doing any glassmaking. That seems kind of silly. Am I missing a way to set the departure condition to something like 5% full? Or some other solution?

Having thought about it, you should probably just go for the empty minecart rolling back and forth, which admittedly seems silly, but you could always just lock the door to the glass furnace and track access, so no dwarf will push it off and the job will keep being queued in the glass furnace. You could even hook the sand production up to a lever that way :)

EDIT: Or just use the same cart to carry ores and goblinite to your magma furnace, the cart will be full pretty quick that way.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 04:29:33 pm by EvilTwin »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: May 27, 2012, 06:05:49 pm »

Put two conditions down - send it when its 25% full, and send it after 14 days, for example. They'll send it when either condition is met, so if they only get it 5% full after 2 weeks, they'll just send it along.

EvilTwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: May 27, 2012, 06:38:21 pm »

Put two conditions down - send it when its 25% full, and send it after 14 days, for example. They'll send it when either condition is met, so if they only get it 5% full after 2 weeks, they'll just send it along.

There's no way his dwarves would manage to get together those 100 bags he's talking about to get the cart up to 25%, so the first condition would never be met. At least with only one glass furnace.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 46