Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322705 times)

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #525 on: June 17, 2012, 09:18:52 am »

When you set up your stockpile links, you can assign collected ('desired') items from the <ENTER> menu. Similarly, when giving to a stockpile, you can unload some items and retain others with the same menu. Anything highlighted should remain in the cart. As for the timing, it should be a matter of setting "depart when empty of ANY" instead of "depart when empty of ALL".

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: June 17, 2012, 10:02:49 am »

Well it defines the items kept as the desired items, which means if I set it to be pushed off only when its empty of desired items, it will sit there forever because it never unloads them.

If I make the kept items blocks (for stop 3), then it will push off before anything gets unloaded at stop 2 (furniture). If the kept items are furniture, then it sits forever and defeats the purpose.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 17, 2012, 10:20:04 am »

Wait a minute, do you want to load it at stop_1, then unload partially unload on stop_2 and proceed to stop_3?
Or to load at stop_1, exchange cargo at stop_2 and proceed to stop_3?
The latter is obvious. The former will require to split stop1 in two, stop_1a which loads cargo for stop_2 (stones I presume?) and stop_1b which fills the rest. Stop_2 is set to give items to stockpile (stone I presume) and to depart when there's less than 100-cargo-for-stop_2 percent of items in cart. Use small stockpile for stop_1a to prevent excess loading jobs.
Still, I'd recommend to use two different carts for this.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: June 17, 2012, 12:25:32 pm »

@Di, the former. Thanks, I never thought of that way to set it up. And meh, I don't want to build a second track next to the current one, its a bit painstaking.

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 18, 2012, 03:50:24 am »

So I just incurred a bug that is probably worth mentioning. I am not entirely sure if its in the bugtracker yet or not, but I told my jewelers to encrust finished goods with yellow spassertine and they did, they picked up full minecarts right off the tracks and encrusted them with gems, the one full of iron bars was particularly annoying since it took an eon to get there and back.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: June 18, 2012, 06:16:47 am »

So I just incurred a bug that is probably worth mentioning. I am not entirely sure if its in the bugtracker yet or not, but I told my jewelers to encrust finished goods with yellow spassertine and they did, they picked up full minecarts right off the tracks and encrusted them with gems, the one full of iron bars was particularly annoying since it took an eon to get there and back.
but on the upside your railway looks simply fabulous, darling!
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: June 18, 2012, 06:34:39 am »

but on the upside your railway looks simply fabulous, darling!

Soon a human with dark skin with 'absolutely no feel for music at all' and a preferance for yo dawg will arrive at your fort, demanding to install TVs and subwoofers on your minecarts.
Incline to retardation imminent.
(a>b) ? false : true

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: June 18, 2012, 03:22:47 pm »

If magma gets on the tracks, but then evaporates, how long does it take before the cart can move again? Does the activeness of the TEMPERATE setting in d_init factor in this?

What is the easiest way to fill up a cart with magma and then move it, without using power.

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: June 18, 2012, 03:56:48 pm »

What is the easiest way to fill up a cart with magma and then move it, without using power.

There is no such way.
You need to have up ramp to move the cart out of reservoir, and the up ramp needs rollers on it, because the magma cart is too heavy to move up without rollers.
But what is the problem with power? Just construct mini power generator. It requires only 1 pump, 1 waterwheel and 4 tiles of 7/7 water.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

Xenos

• Bay Watcher
  • [DWARFINEER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: June 18, 2012, 05:27:55 pm »

There is no such way.
You need to have up ramp to move the cart out of reservoir, and the up ramp needs rollers on it, because the magma cart is too heavy to move up without rollers.
But what is the problem with power? Just construct mini power generator. It requires only 1 pump, 1 waterwheel and 4 tiles of 7/7 water.

If you have a couple ramps before the magma to accelerate it prior to entering the magma then it will dip in/out IIRC.
This is a useful feature..and this is DF.. so im gonna assume its bugged
That's what cages and minecart shotguns are for!  We don't need to control them.  We just need to aim them.
[DWARFINEERING]

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: June 18, 2012, 05:48:53 pm »

If you have a couple ramps before the magma to accelerate it prior to entering the magma then it will dip in/out IIRC.
I'm not so sure about that.  In my tests, the cart went down into the magma but failed to go up one ramp out of it.  Though this was on a spiral so maybe all the turns dissipated the momentum.

Someone else had suggested leaving the carts stationary on the ground, and then pumping magma (which could be done without power) over them to fill them.  They would then be able to be hauled up manually, set on a temporary route and dump their contents where you wanted.

The Grim Sleeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: June 19, 2012, 02:47:16 am »

I'm not so sure about that.  In my tests, the cart went down into the magma but failed to go up one ramp out of it.  Though this was on a spiral so maybe all the turns dissipated the momentum.
I  have the same problem, but in my case the whole magma-dunk was build in a strait line. Apparently minecarts filled with magma are heavy.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: June 19, 2012, 02:55:25 am »

One could try making carts so heavy that addition of magma doesn't change weight much. For example put a cage-of-ninety-nine-dragons inside cart before sending it down and don't forget to take it out before dumping magma, so it could be used for next iteration.
833 units of magma weight 800 to 1000 urists btw.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 02:57:42 am by Di »
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: June 20, 2012, 02:53:40 pm »

You're carts are probably going to be moving too fast to make the turn onto the bridge. The other turns can be done by having walls on the outside of the turn, but there's no room for walls there.

Ah. That just requires me to widen the bridge by adding a wall between the two paths. Then it should work.

Then it's just rollers everywhere to keep propelling the cart even after it hits something, having the cart be loaded full of heavy stuff, and I can smash enemies off a walkway ten z-levels up with style. Or not only enemies, if I forget to turn it off.

...there is a way to turn it off, right?
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: June 20, 2012, 03:04:45 pm »

Found a weird thing, somewhat.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Unlike one could expect, when there are additional potholes instead of constructed rails on picture cart eventually stops reverting it's movement direction shortly before the end. Without abundant accelerators it works just fine.

Also, I'd like to point out that loaded minecart retains not only the mass of it's contents but price as well. Which allows one to create a false route with a single stop set to collects trade goods and assign another minecart when previous is fully loaded. These carts are likely to be on top of the list when sorted by price. This trick will allow you to move at least 50 000 worth of goods to a trade depot in one hauling job.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 46