Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 324081 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #540 on: June 20, 2012, 04:09:40 pm »

This trick will allow you to move at least 50 000 worth of goods to a trade depot in one hauling job.
How does it compare with having a hauling route ending in a dump stop and a quantum stockpile?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: June 20, 2012, 05:43:20 pm »

How does it compare with having a hauling route ending in a dump stop and a quantum stockpile?
With quantum you get one hauling job per each item you want to move to depot, not to mention that you have to select all of them individually.
This way you can use cart as an extra large bin, needing only one dwarf to bring all the stuff to depot.

However, be warned, this is somewhat unsafe: I had experienced persistent crash recently. Upon checking routes I've noticed that this route cart disappeared, assigning another cart solved the problem and game run normally for at least month from the crash day. Probably, this problem is related to minecarts in general but I've encountered it this way. I was in panic a bit and didn't think about copying bugged save, so if anyone experiences the same problem, make sure you put it on Mantis.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: June 23, 2012, 08:58:59 am »

I know there is a lot about mine carts in that thread, and that my answer is probably somewhere in there, but i'll still take the risk of asking...

There is a lot of adamantine about 80 z-levels under my fortress. Is it really worth building carts tracks to bring it up?

What are the most useful aspect of carts (that are not shotguns or whatever!)

thanks!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: June 23, 2012, 09:41:31 am »

If you can carve a route straight up, go for it. If not, process the adamantine near the mining site and put the thread in bins to be taken to the smelters. Or if your fortress isn't doing anything else you could just haul the stuff as-is, it's pretty light.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: June 23, 2012, 09:58:05 am »

If you can carve a route straight up, go for it. If not, process the adamantine near the mining site and put the thread in bins to be taken to the smelters. Or if your fortress isn't doing anything else you could just haul the stuff as-is, it's pretty light.
'If you can carve a route straight up, go for it.'
I thought carts could travel from a z-level to another trough ramps only?

Another question: I would like to use cart to bring wood from the main gate of my fortress (point A) to a stockpile near of the main staircase that connects each floors of my fortress (point B). There is a long corridor between A and B (hence the need of a track). However, the ground is made of clay so it is impossible to engrave tracks: I can only build them. According to the wiki, built tracks are single way. Lets say my track is designated for A-->B, how can I bring the cart back to A? (I am not using any rollers...)

Cheers!
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 10:51:54 am by San-A »

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: June 23, 2012, 10:55:24 am »

'If you can carve a route straight up, go for it.'

Another question: I would like to use cart to bring wood from the main gate of my fortress (point A) to a stockpile near of the main staircase that connects each floors of my fortress (point B). There is a long corridor between A and B (hence the need of a track). However, the ground is made of clay so it is impossible to engrave tracks: I can only build them. According to the wiki, built tracks are single way. Lets say my track is designated for A-->B, how can I bring the cart back to A? (I am not using any rollers...)

Cheers!

You can basically use SE,WS,NW, and NE up ramps to create a 2x2 ramp that would relatively go straight up without having to travel horizontally. Might not be roller friendly though.

Tracks go both ways. Always.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #546 on: June 23, 2012, 11:07:41 am »

So that didn't work...

(and I hit post too soon)

I have a minecart track that goes down 30 levels at a 45 degree angle (just ramps next to ramps), then hits a U bend, like this:

Code: [Select]
######
^===\#
^...|#
###.|#
###.|#
###.|#
###.|#
###.|#
###.|#
###.|#
###.|#
###.|#
V...|#
V===/#
######

The next level down is an upward ramp followed by some straight track. When I sent a dwarf riding down, he went down the incline fine, rounded the bend without apparent trouble (though I imagine quite quickly) but when he got to the downward ramp at the bottom of the U bend to go to the next level, he and the minecart turned into a fountain of items, combat reports, and blood smears. At one point he even slammed into himself.

Anybody have an idea what might have happened?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 11:11:05 am by Laserhead »

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: June 23, 2012, 11:24:38 am »

The next level down is an upward ramp followed by some straight track. When I sent a dwarf riding down, he went down the incline fine, rounded the bend without apparent trouble (though I imagine quite quickly) but when he got to the downward ramp at the bottom of the U bend to go to the next level, he and the minecart turned into a fountain of items, combat reports, and blood smears. At one point he even slammed into himself.

Anybody have an idea what might have happened?

It sounds like the cart jumped the track and hit a wall, which will cause the item spillage and injury that you mentioned. Maybe it was going too fast, or perhaps your down ramp connection is broken.

Laserhead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: June 23, 2012, 11:31:13 am »

I reloaded and sent it again, it does look like the minecart goes into the air above the downward track ramp. This time the message was that the rider slams into an obstacle and blows apart. How fast is too fast?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: June 23, 2012, 11:55:36 am »

Straight up through the fortress, ie. being able to carve out a path with the minimum of digging or building access ramps.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: June 23, 2012, 12:06:30 pm »

So that didn't work...

(and I hit post too soon)

I have a minecart track that goes down 30 levels at a 45 degree angle (just ramps next to ramps), then hits a U bend, like this:

Still in 34.07, so I have no experience with carts, but I thought for ramps in general to be usable they need a tile of flat floor in between each upward ramp to work?  I.E. Ascending z-levels you need to have an upward ramp, a floor tile, an upward ramp, a floor tile, etc.  Is this not the case, or is it different for minecarts?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: June 23, 2012, 12:17:51 pm »

You don't need a floor tile even for regular ramps.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: June 23, 2012, 12:50:51 pm »

You don't need a floor tile even for regular ramps.

Ah!  I guess I can't shorten some of my walking-ramps in my fort then.  Thanks!

San-A

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: June 23, 2012, 01:42:25 pm »

You can basically use SE,WS,NW, and NE up ramps to create a 2x2 ramp that would relatively go straight up without having to travel horizontally. Might not be roller friendly though.

Tracks go both ways. Always.
Could you be a bit more precise (or refer me to the relevant link)? Thank you!

darkrider2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: June 23, 2012, 02:12:14 pm »

For some reason one of my minecarts is dropping everything it carries on a certain ramp and then continuing onto its destination, the ramp is not a stop on any route, the minecart freely travels to the actual route every time. I have no idea why, the ramp is set up properly and all the track around it is as well, is there some maximum speed for going down ramps?
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 46