Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 46

Author Topic: The "How Does Minecart" Thread  (Read 322704 times)

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The "How Does Minecart" Thread
« Reply #630 on: August 27, 2012, 08:08:37 am »

Any better idea for avoiding dwarves directly hauling food to the main stockpile?
um, take from links only at the target pile?
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: August 27, 2012, 08:34:25 am »

That pile also receive fish and other food stuff to be processed.

Maybe I can split the destination pile up in two, plants and other foods. Maybe I'll try like that but I hate multiple pile as they usually are quite space inefficient.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea, thanks.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: August 27, 2012, 01:41:34 pm »

So, I think my biggest annoyance to date is the speed at which tracks are carved.  Toady needs to slash the time needed for an engraver to carve a track into rock by at least 1/2.  Maybe even more. 

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: August 27, 2012, 01:45:41 pm »

skilled engraver seems do it nicely; throwing unskilled in the lot instead seems to slow down the entire operation

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: August 27, 2012, 03:01:37 pm »

I can set a condition on cart fullness; is there a way (programmed or contraptionish) to only send a cart when the source stockpile is full?

so I can have a secondary pile down below without affecting workshops taking from the primary pile

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: August 27, 2012, 03:25:09 pm »

skilled engraver seems do it nicely; throwing unskilled in the lot instead seems to slow down the entire operation

Yeah, I had (3) Expert/Professional engravers and it still was a very slow process.  I think it's one of those game balance things where if the track engraving process was faster, setting up your track system would be a whole lot less painful.

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: August 27, 2012, 03:35:51 pm »

Cages - you can fit (16) caged enemies in a mine cart.  Seems to be faster to move (16) at a time via the carts then to just wheelbarrow it.

Near the entrance where you have all your cage traps, create (1) quantum stockpile for empty cages, (1) for full cages and (1) for mechanisms.  Typically, mine all look like:

Code: [Select]
.>Q

. = source, take-from-anywhere, stockpile (with wheelbarrows for the cage stockpiles)
> = constructed track stop that dumps towards "Q"
Q = quantum pile, take-from-nowhere

Those stockpiles are usually just outside the inner drawbridge.  Outside of any windy trap-lined path and as close to the cage traps as possible without being exposed.  By keeping your "full" and "empty" cage piles near your cage traps, you can absorb large numbers of enemy forces and still reset the traps quickly.

Inside the walls, I create a 2nd quantum minecart-powered stockpile for filled cages, which pulls from the outer stockpile.  That then feeds to a track which sends the full cages down to the top of the pits.  Domestic critters and dwarves are excluded from that ride.

At the top of the pit, I have a single 1x1 quantum tile which accepts full cages.  Next to that tile, I have a "dump" stop which unloads the cart.  That gives you a quantum stack of cages right next to the pit hatch.

Now, I've tried using the same hauling route with (4) stops in order to bring empty cages back to the start point from the pit head, but the problem is that because you typically "pit" things in batches, there's not an even flow in both directions.  That means your route is going to be very slow at moving enemies around.

In cases where the flow is uneven across time, I think it's better to define (2) routes, each with (2) stops.  One to take full cages down to the pit head, another to bring empty cages back up near the entrance.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: August 28, 2012, 02:55:26 pm »

Just made my first guided track. Phew.

Will be back with loads of questions after I finish reading this entire thread.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: October 13, 2012, 06:47:03 am »

I've got a setup I've used before to dump refuse into my atom smasher.

Got a refuse pile.  Next to it is a stop set to collect from the stockpile.  One tile of track, then another stop set to dump into the smasher.

I've used this before.  I'd watch the dwarves haul the refuse to the pile, then some would haul the refuse to the cart.  Once it reached enough stuff in the cart, it would be guided to the hole, dumped, then guided back.

Except this time no one's filling the cart.  I've double checked it, and it's linked to the stockpile and set to collect the correct items from it.  The pile is being filled, but I have refuse haulers just sitting there once it's filled up.  And I've seen them fill the cart in previous forts.

Did I miss something this time?

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #639 on: October 13, 2012, 02:41:24 pm »

Figured it out.  I set it to take from the stockpile, but forgot to say WHICH stockpile   :P

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: November 03, 2012, 12:42:37 pm »

I was hoping y'all could help me debug one of my tracks.
It hauls food from my production area near the surface to my dining room deeper down.
I have verified that the track route is good, the orders are correct, the cart is full, dwarves have Guide Cart enabled.
The problem seems that there is no "guide cart" assignment in the [j]ob list.  Does anyone have any idea how I can fix this?

cvar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: November 03, 2012, 05:14:27 pm »

Anyone got any advice on how to stop thirsty dwarves from getting stuck in my drink stacker?  It's just a 2 tile cart track with a dumping stop on the end, but dwarves will try to drink from the minecart instead of either stockpile and get stuck.  I can forbid the drinks in the cart and most of the time they'll move off of it, but after un-forbidding it, the drinks never seem to get dumped out.

Don't really want my fort tantrum spiraling over thirsty dwarves when I've got plenty of drinks :<

-Edit
I was under the impression that guided minecarts won't hurt dwarves :x

All my minecarts are set to guide for that reason, but this kid just got smashed.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 05:27:27 am by cvar »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: November 04, 2012, 05:36:36 am »

Was the guided cart being pushed up or down ramps? Ramps seem to behave weirdly with hauled stuffs in my fortresses, particularly going down it.

And did you set your dumping stop in the right direction? Sounds like it's not set to dump!

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: November 04, 2012, 09:08:27 am »

Yes.  My dining hall is about 10 levels lower than my food production.  But I have made sure all of the ramps are carved correctly and am receiving no pathing errors

xl 4ndre lx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: November 04, 2012, 10:17:46 am »

Yes.  My dining hall is about 10 levels lower than my food production.  But I have made sure all of the ramps are carved correctly and am receiving no pathing errors

Is the problem with the stockpiles. Do you have them set to give and take
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 46