Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worst Minecart Accidents?  (Read 6289 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Worst Minecart Accidents?
« on: May 14, 2012, 03:51:40 pm »

I think we're going to need somewhere to post all the !!FUN!! people are having with minecarts.  Post your minecart accidents, both "unfortunate" and otherwise, here.

Me?  I'm trying to figure a good way to trap whales to weigh down the carts.  "Project Whalegun" someone called it.  I like the sound of that....

Nobody expects a minecart full of burning whales.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Worst Minecart Accidents?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 03:56:36 pm »

I had the least impressive instance, probably.  Loaded a cat with 20x stack of coins.  Each 500 coins, some 10,000 coins total!  I build a ramp, some rollers, a stockpile.  And then a depot.  And I fire the coingun at the elven traders!

"The flying silver coin[500] strikes the trader in the arm and bruises the skin."

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 04:02:14 pm »

Damn, they don't destack?

I guess we have to get to work on whale harvesting....
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."

Mudcrab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 04:03:08 pm »

Yeah coins also really suck as projectiles now because they were OP to the max in adv mode

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 04:03:43 pm »

I had an accident literally the first time I successfully had a dwarf push a minecart instead of guiding it. Nothing fancy, just a track route across a single ramp, a minecart loaded with granite boulders and a dwarf who picked the wrong moment. She skidded on the ground and slammed into a wall, ending up with a broken leg, a rib poking through her lung and a whole bunch of bruises. Not especially bad by the standards of what I expect to be possible, but I think it sets a fine precedent for future minecart projects of mine.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 04:04:42 pm »

I had the least impressive instance, probably.  Loaded a cat with 20x stack of coins.  Each 500 coins, some 10,000 coins total!  I build a ramp, some rollers, a stockpile.  And then a depot.  And I fire the coingun at the elven traders!

"The flying silver coin[500] strikes the trader in the arm and bruises the skin."
Please excuse me while I go imagine a cat riding on minecart rails with coins pouring out of its mouth.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 04:17:30 pm »

Please excuse me while I go imagine a cat riding on minecart rails with coins pouring out of its mouth.

It will be beckoning you to come nearer as it does so.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 04:22:19 pm »

Note to self:  It is very !!FUN!! to let minecarts zip through your main fortress hallways, especially the meeting & dining rooms.

I guess dwarves don't know enough to look both ways before crossing the tracks....

Oh well, dwarven children are pretty useless anyhow.

caddybear

• Bay Watcher
  • Elf Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 04:24:02 pm »

Next update: Traffic lights.
And then did ARMOK say, the east is the holiest of directions, and thou shouldst not stand there lest thou be strucketh down by my holiest of beards. And then did the dorfs did say, we shall build from the west, for more do we fear the beard of ARMOK than the strike of the elephant.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 04:26:38 pm »

I bet we could make our own somehow.  We've got stops, rollers, and overly-complex dwarven logic that could probably make some kind of track-switching interlock thingy.  Maybe....

But it wouldn't be as !!FUN!!

the_game_hunt

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_MERCY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 04:36:12 pm »

You should be able to connect multiple tracks to a single one, and connect it to a lever, pulling the lever would change the direction.
That would be awesome
The spinning (silk shoe) strikes the Baron in the left upper arm, bruising the skin!
The Baron has been shot and killed.

WARNING! I'm not responsible for damaging/destroying your post!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 04:52:06 pm »

I bet we could make our own somehow.  We've got stops, rollers, and overly-complex dwarven logic that could probably make some kind of track-switching interlock thingy.  Maybe....

But it wouldn't be as !!FUN!!
carts trigger PP, so you could set them to lock doors as they aproach, unlock them as they pass? sucks for anyone caught in between, like the car-stopping-on-train-tracks kind of uh-oh
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

jhxmt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2012, 04:54:11 pm »

You should be able to connect multiple tracks to a single one, and connect it to a lever, pulling the lever would change the direction.
That would be awesome

One word: bridges.

Additional explanatory words: retracting bridges with tracks in one direction on them, and tracks in another direction beneath them (possibly down a ramp).  I'm theorising here, based on reading the devlog, as I haven't downloaded the new release yet.
Quote from: beefsupreme
Try slaughtering a ton of animals, meat makes less decisions than animals.

Why Your Ramps Don't Work
How To Breach A Volcano Safely

clarithium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 07:57:54 pm »

I had a !!FUN!! idea. An entrance hallway that is quite long, filled with 15 or so dwarven supercolliders (circular tracks with acceleration tiles on them) filled with lead bars. I'd like to see what happens to the poor gobbo thief who wanders into that!

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 09:49:43 pm »

I think ramps would be the proper traffic light solution. Just launch the cart over their heads. Fixes the pet collision problem as well.
Pages: [1] 2