Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [bug] Killed by the dead...  (Read 650 times)

Dwarf Chunk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[bug] Killed by the dead...
« on: August 17, 2006, 05:37:00 pm »

I just generated myself a second world to play adventures in, as my fortress just runs too well. So, to the point. I fight an enemy and he puts me into a strangehold. Then I bash him away with my hammer, killing him in the process, but still suffocate from it several rounds later. There was no message about any real injury, just the hold. No bodypart had any colorcode either. I just got that typical winded and then died walking away from the corpses of my slain foes. Kinda anticlimatic to die like that.   :D

Silleh Boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [bug] Killed by the dead...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2006, 06:57:00 pm »

I noticed that too, though i killed a lizard man by doing it. i strangled him, then when he stood up, i ran off and he suffoctaed and died without further assistance. I thought it wasrather thoughtful of him, as i had been beaten up pretty badly by that point.

TheOtherHorseman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2006, 07:35:00 pm »

I feel your pain, bugbrother. My dwarves are becoming crippled by an inability to find their way to an item they needs, which has clear and easy paths to it, and their inability to do anything except focus on that one task.

I CAN'T FIND THE FISH BARREL

Put it in an empty one, then.

FIIIISH BARREEEELL

I CAN'T GET TO THE BEDROOM

But... it's clear sailing from furniture storage to the bedroom

NEITHER CAN I
ME NEITHER
x infinity

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2006, 02:33:00 am »

For the strangling, it counts up how long it has been since you've breathed, and also your ability to take a breath.  Occasionally, you are still unable to breathe for a bit after the hold has been removed, especially if it was on for a while.  This does seem to last somewhat long sometimes.

Also, often strangle attacks lead to bleeding to death -- this is because strangling can cause throat damage.  So it's kind of more like clawing and ripping at the throat at times.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2006, 02:44:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Toady One:
<STRONG>Also, often strangle attacks lead to bleeding to death -- this is because strangling can cause throat damage.  So it's kind of more like clawing and ripping at the throat at times.</STRONG>

As when I'm playing Adventurer mode, most of my strangling is actually done with my sword, I'm usually suprised they take so long to start bleeding.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2006, 05:42:00 am »

Obviously, the enemy used the Five-Point Open-Palm Exploding Heart technique.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2006, 04:13:00 pm »

I suppose you are using the flat part of the blade.  Throat-cutting is a wrestling bloat and will be more effective.  Once it's added to the player interface it also goes automatically into the wrestling AI (assuming I tell them "this is good!  It's rated 10!"), so you'll get wasted with more efficiency.

[ August 18, 2006: Message edited by: Toady One ]

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!