Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: dwarves don't need wheelbarrows, they can carry a sedan in a bucket  (Read 6160 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: dwarves don't need wheelbarrows, they can carry a sedan in a bucket
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2012, 06:06:14 am »

I remember that the way we could argue that multiple things could fit on one tile, especially creatures, is that they can move into the fourth dimension and what we can see is them projecting into the third dimension.

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2012, 11:39:17 am »

Okay so more logically speaking, if I'm getting what Miuramir is saying, it's not that Dwarves can fit a sedan's worth of water in a bucket, rather that over the course of a day or two they are able to move a sedan's worth of water via a single bucket, due to the time scaling?

Did I get that right?

Still a bit Dwarfy.

Pretty much.  Drifting into some more arbitrary numbers, if a "drink" is 1/10 of a "water unit", perhaps a "bucket" is 1/10 of a "drink".  That would put it at 17.14 liters, or about 4.53 US gallons.  A 5-gallon bucket made of modern materials is a respectable load, but something that many people routinely carry; old-fashioned buckets are going to be heavier, but that's still a reasonable thing to be carrying in a DF world.  So, if you think of a dwarf moving 1/7 water from a brook to a pond zone as about a hundred trips with a 5-gallon bucket over the course of several days to a week, that is at least plausible. 

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2012, 06:19:23 pm »

repeating my suggestion that water be measured in 1/60ths of a tile.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2012, 01:36:11 am »

Yeah, I'd be happy with that idea. I mean, if it takes a single dwarf an in-game month to drag a peice of ore from one end of my fort to another (...assuming I'd forgotten how to structure my fort in a half-sensible manner with any sort of decent access routes, anyway), I'd sincerely hope that he/she had managed to transport more than a single armful of tin ore. Otherwise we'd be in sims territory; "Oh man, It took me another hour this morning to get from my bathroom to the front door! I've missed work again!".

Much better if that trip could be justified as an abstraction in that it took X number of trips across Y period of time to get Z quantity of items to another location, and the whole thing was just represented as 1 trip, 1 item, Y time through the magic of computer techno-nologies. I could live with that pretty happily. I mean, it doesn't matter in the end, but whatever, it's internally consistent. Fighting is a little harder to justify with the same idea, but ahwell, nothing's perfect.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2012, 07:55:17 am »

Actually, we already know exactly how large 1 "unit" of liquid is - a single DRINK is 2 liters, while a single LIQUID_MISC seems to be 600mL (it used to be the same as DRINK, but it was apparently changed in 0.34.08 during the mining update). Thus, a bucket holds 6 liters of water (about a gallon and a half), which isn't very much - in the past, it would've been 20 liters, or about 5 gallons.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: 1 [2]