Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: What are you going to play, Diablo III or DF?  (Read 23183 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: What are you going to play, Diablo III or DF?
« Reply #60 on: May 18, 2012, 09:27:13 am »

Spoiler: Continuation of derail (click to show/hide)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2012, 09:27:38 am »

I was watching someone play Diablo III.
Does anything interesting actually happen?

Well, im off to play DF.
I think it's just that it's not very interesting to watch someone play. Just like DF. There's a reason hours of DF micromanagement get skipped out of lets play videos! Doesn't make it a bad game.

I dont think not owning Diablo III excuses it from criticism. Remembering it costs (quite a lot of) money, it would seem quite reasonable to come up with an opinion about it before owning it. In fact you should come up with an opinion before buying it. Purchasing it blindly would seem quite silly.
Well sure. But I don't remember saying you shouldn't criticise it because you didn't own it. I said you shouldn't criticise it because you hadn't played it. You criticised the plot without even knowing what the plot was! You criticised the game balance without having even seen the game, and knowing nothing of the balance. I don't mind you disliking a game, or deciding not to play it, but badmouthing specific bits of it without knowing anything at all about them was just stupid.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

clarithium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2012, 10:34:59 am »

Is this a joke?

.08 is out with minecarts which can be fully loaded with +axes+ and thrown through ramps at invaders causing an explosion of gore, steel and lulz. Can Diablo 3 do that? No. No, it can't.

No, seriously: You'll be bored with Diablo after completing 60% of the game and realizing you've been doing the same thing for 15-20 hours (bashing monsters). Then you'll try online mode and get the story spoiled and broken by people who are 50 levels above you and cruise through the game to farm XP.

Diablo 3 is not Starcraft 2. Seriously, it's not. It's a game to play for a week and then let it catch dust in the shelf. Just like Diablo or Diablo 2. Only grinders will trully enjoy the game (but of course, given the amount of gamers who play grinding games nowadays, this could be a lot of people).

Exactly why I didn't buy it. $60 for 10 hours of entertainment at the most.

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2012, 11:07:57 am »

10 hours at the least. I think a speedrun has been done in 9 hours, but regular play is considerably more, especially if you're playing through it with several different groups as I am.

Also I paid £25 for my copy, which is a lot less than $60 :)
(and a lot less than I've donated to ToadyOne)
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2012, 03:05:21 pm »

I was watching someone play Diablo III.
Does anything interesting actually happen?

Well, im off to play DF.

Spoiler: Derailing stuff (click to show/hide)

Youtube video of the 'secret' level has moved it from 'never' to 'wait until it's $20' for me.
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2012, 03:31:09 pm »

DF, no question needed.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2012, 05:51:57 pm »

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2012, 08:29:13 pm »

Spoiler: derail (click to show/hide)

All this talk about the servers being down as much as they are has only made me happier with my position of not buying Diablo 3. You'd think that Blizzard would have the server capacity for a release of this magnitude set up before release. Plus finding out about the fact that you have to be logged in to play, without even an offline single player mode is not something to entice me to get the game. Why does EVERYTHING have to multiplayer?
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2012, 10:07:48 pm »

All this talk about the servers being down as much as they are has only made me happier with my position of not buying Diablo 3. You'd think that Blizzard would have the server capacity for a release of this magnitude set up before release. Plus finding out about the fact that you have to be logged in to play, without even an offline single player mode is not something to entice me to get the game. Why does EVERYTHING have to multiplayer?
Because not everyone likes playing with themselves. /lol

- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Corai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2012, 10:28:17 pm »

Dwarf fortress, what else do I need? I have my kobolds.
Jacob/Lee: you have a heart made of fluffy
Jeykab/Bee: how the fuck do you live your daily life corai
Jeykab/Bee: you seem like the person who constantly has mini heart attacks because cuuuute

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 19, 2012, 01:41:23 am »

Because not everyone likes playing with themselves. /lol

Yep, gods forbid we have a game with a good plot written for a single player to pick up and put down any time they desire, without having to rely on others, and showing a general lack of penis jokes...
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

alexandertnt

• Bay Watcher
  • (map 'list (lambda (post) (+ post awesome)) posts)
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2012, 07:15:32 am »

Spoiler: Cant... Resist... (click to show/hide)
This is when I imagine the hilarity which may happen if certain things are glichy. Such as targeting your own body parts to eat.

You eat your own head
YOU HAVE BEEN STRUCK DOWN!

Dvalinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 19, 2012, 08:59:09 am »

Play a game with heart and thought put into it for many years, or a puke-quality bastardization of a classic duo of games?

This elitist crap is getting old. I'll be playing D3. Not because I don't like DF, and not because I'm a die-hard D3 fan or even a hardcore fan of the genre (I didn't play it launch day, or the day after), but because I'd rather wait for DF to be patched a bit more before I get serious about a new fort and, despite the fashionable hate in this thread, D3 is a high quality game that many good people poured a lot of heart into that turned out - and this is the important part - to be great fun to play (especially co-op).

TheSlimeGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 19, 2012, 09:47:04 am »

I just dropped a $60 check to Tarn into the mail because fuck always online DRM.

I like this idea.  Everytime there is an anticipated, big-name-company game that gets released that I am somewhat offended (read: Nauseated) by (Most things from EA as an example.) I will give the equivalent of said offending company's price to Tarn instead.  Because every time I get suckered in to buying a pale, regurgitated piece of shit that I play for 20 minutes a little bit of hope inside me dies and I revert back to DF or classic games or sticking my hand into the blender while it's on (Which is by far more entertaining than most big release games these days).

That said, I won't be doing it with D3 as I just bought it.  And although having my initial enthusiasm destroyed inside of 3 seconds when I saw the terrible quality of the character graphics (Backgrounds, water effects etc look nice though) and heard the terrible voice acting (So ... don't go the female Monk if you can't handle shit voicing.) I have to say after getting my brain beyond the easy fights, the poor voice acting, incredibly unimaginative dialogue, characters with jagged edges and the disappointing cut-scene at the end of Act 1 I have still somehow enjoyed myself.  Maybe it's nostalgia for D1 and D2 propelling me through the game or maybe I forced myself to re-assess my high expectations after a friend chided me for having a whine about the above-mentioned.  I don't know.  I'm looking forward to my broke-arse friends getting it so we can relive days of past glory like smashing through all of D1s acts as quickly as possible.

But the game is what it is.  If you're a fan of the Diablo style of game then you'll get some enjoyment from D3, unless you are a one-eyed (figuratively) Diablo fanboy who can't get past the implemented changes. 

I do have to point out that, after being a World of Warcraft player for a number of years (Retired now, thanks to a disagreement with Blizzard over sending them my photo ID) there are striking similarities between the WoW franchise and Diablo 3.  Even the box it came in made me think 'WoW Expansion'.  The requirement of Battlenet (Which is cool, cos I can talk to all my other Blizzard buddies no matter what game they're in), the achievements system, the auction house and, in my opinion, a slightly more cartoony feel in D3 make you wonder if this isn't the beginning of World of Diablo...

Oh, also, not all of the dialogue and voice-acting is crap or corny or cheesy or cliched.  And I can't comment on story as it's still early days for me in the game.  It'll be Max Payne 3 for me next and then back to DF until GTA V I guess...
"Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given."

TheSlimeGod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 19, 2012, 09:52:42 am »

Also I paid £25 for my copy, which is a lot less than $60 :)
(and a lot less than I've donated to ToadyOne)

I paid around $80 AUD for it, which is standard for new releases here really.  I gave my days up of pirating years ago and now atone myself by buying the games I love or am interested in (or curoious about) so the $$ doesn't bother me.  Aaaaaand, the girl who served me was gorgeous and a genuine PC nerd.  Having coffee with her next week ... so even if the game is a lot of bunk I don't think I'm going to feel too cheated...!
"Oh for shame, how the mortals put the blame on us gods, for they say evils come from us, but it is they, rather, who by their own recklessness win sorrow beyond what is given."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6