Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23

Author Topic: Skyscrapes 2: Height of the Living Dead (succession)  (Read 68411 times)

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes 2: Scrape Harder! (succession)
« Reply #315 on: June 20, 2013, 04:41:16 pm »

As long as they're professions children could conceivably do.

All right. Activating masonry so they can help build walls, then! :D

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes 2: Height of the Living Dead (succession)
« Reply #316 on: June 20, 2013, 05:57:47 pm »

1st Hematite, 109

The parents of the five children in this fortress have reluctantly allowed their offspring to help in the building effort. Now maybe we can do work a touch faster...

22nd Hematite, 109

I have dug 121 Urists beneath the surface and still no magma. I learn more about mining as I dig, however, and it seems to come easier...

27th Hematite, 109

I am 158 Urists into the earth, but my thirst overwhelms my desire to see magma struck quickly. I shall return to the surface and see what progress has been made above ground.

28th Hematite, 109

Climbing the stairs takes far less time than digging them. Of course. And there's barely anything but dwarven wine. Of course.

1st Malachite, 109

By Ral I hate this fortress. I hear the livestock are fighting--

--an erstwhile kobold thief got its brains bashed in by a skeleton--

--and a pump operator got punched through the head by a goblin corpse.

At least the corpse is now rotting in a cage--

--but precious little progress has been made on the tower.

I want some damn sunshine. We've got bubble bulb out the ass, there's got to be sun berries somewhere, and I am sick of dwarven wine. I am making sure we get sun berries and sun berry seeds if it kills me.

4th Malachite

All right, no more FREAKING plump helmets are being brewed. I DON'T WANT THEIR BOOZE IN MY FORTRESS. MAKE SOMETHING ELSE.

5th Malachite

Better be something good or I'll kick you off the top level of the central tower.

6th Malachite

The idiot wants silk cloth. Should I prepare to kill the demanding son of a git?

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: June 20, 2013, 10:50:01 pm »

But he's at a forge!

What does he have skill in, weaponsmithing, armouring, or blacksmithing?  If weapons or armour and we don't already have a legendary dwarf with that skill, break open the caverns and look for webs.  What could possibly go wrong?
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: June 20, 2013, 10:52:44 pm »

But he's at a forge!

What does he have skill in, weaponsmithing, armouring, or blacksmithing?  If weapons or armour and we don't already have a legendary dwarf with that skill, break open the caverns and look for webs.  What could possibly go wrong?

Novice armorsmith. Fiiiiiiiiiiiine I'll risk killing this whole fort due to my inexperience XD

EDIT:

6th Malachite, continued

TurkeyXIII has raised objections to my plan to ignore Thikut's demands, noting that we could use a legendary armorsmith (Thikut is a novice one) and 'what could possibly go wrong' with cracking open the caverns to gather silk. Everything, that's what, but I do admit the potential use of an armory filled with masterful items.

And hey, the worst thing that could possibly happen is we all die horribly because there's a giant cave spider lurking in the deeps...

(I swear to Ral, if this gets us all killed I will haunt him forever.)

EDITEDIT:

10th Malachite

I think something's following me up.

I'll send the militia down... just in case.

11th Malachite

Udib Orbsringed the Sad Queen of Healing (I will not ask I will not ask) says he found a large rat down there and punched its head in. Much better.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:13:32 pm by Lielac »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: June 20, 2013, 11:20:38 pm »

19th Malachite:

Thikut has gathered all the items he needs!

I dearly hope he makes something useful like a breastplate.

24th Malachite:

Or that. That'd do too.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2013, 11:25:32 pm by Lielac »

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: June 28, 2013, 10:07:39 am »

-cough-

Right. Since I'm not going to finish this due to lack of desire and it having been a week since I updated, 'ave a save.

'Ere y'go, boys.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: June 28, 2013, 12:59:08 pm »

Nicely done, Lielac.  The great towers continue to endure.

(( Did we just run out of overseers? ))

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: June 28, 2013, 01:20:04 pm »

(( Did we just run out of overseers? ))

Time to send out the call.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #323 on: June 28, 2013, 02:37:12 pm »

Ah, what the hell. I was forced to voluntarily skip my turn in the first Skyscrapes way back when. Mind if I jump in for a turn in the sequel? It'd bring me some closure.
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: June 29, 2013, 09:14:11 am »

Go ahead!
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #325 on: June 29, 2013, 09:27:08 am »

Okay, cool. I need a day (or at least some hours) to read through the thread and get into the spirit of things. But I've downloaded the save and will update posthaste.
I can see it now.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #326 on: July 01, 2013, 02:15:11 pm »

oh wow

I just finally caught up to the thread (sorry, I work a lot)

this fortress is
, especially with me running it. But I'll be sure to at least be entertaining if not productive.

This is my double post bump to tell you that I have downloaded the save and shall not be required to skip like so many sevens of overseers before me.

WEDNESDAY, JULY 3 EDIT:

I'm still doing this! Take heart, brave forumites! It is merely that my schedules on Monday and Tuesday are packed full from wake to sleep. Today is merely packed full to the late afternoon. I shall post updates tonight and, Armok willing, be done by tomorrow. (Actually, I'll certainly be done by tomorrow, as it is a holiday in this particular region of the planet.)
« Last Edit: July 03, 2013, 08:41:37 am by Argembarger »
I can see it now.

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: July 03, 2013, 11:45:57 am »

The gates still work, so there is still a chance for success.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #328 on: July 04, 2013, 11:43:34 am »

24th Malachite, 109, Mid-Summer

Dear Diary,

The hottest days of summer are upon us. The air is somehow dry and humid at once, and the sun beats down on our foolhardy enterprise as relentlessly as it always has, but somehow more intensely. My exposed scalp feels like a gnome caught in a blast of gnomeblight steam. Considering the pain that simply furrowing my brow causes me, it's notable to consider the fact that the headache generated by that which I am thinking about dwarfs (ho ho ho) the agony of that burn.

Today I was informed that the workings of Skyscrapes the Scraped Hardiness, the convoluted nightmare I've been calling home for longer than I care to admit, have been entrusted to my leadership. This is all well and good, and under normal circumstances I would relish the opportunity to flex my natural dwarfiness towards these sorts of managerial pursuits, but these are by no means normal circumstances.

I've spent most of the day sorting through the disorganized heap of papers and sketches I've been tossed, trying to make sense of just what in the hell we've been up to for so long. I've always known it was bad, but by Armok's left ventricle, just what the fuck am I looking at??

It's hard for me to convey just how eye-wrecking the state of this is. The drawing simply doesn't capture it. Perhaps a song might serve me better.

The cliff is alive with the sound of zombies
With groans they have moaned for at least a year
The plain fills my ears with the sound of zombies
My fist wants to punch every corpse I hear

My heart wants to kill like the pores of the sponge
that lurk from the lakes to the streams
My beard wants to sigh like a goblin that flies
martial trance hammer dreams
To laugh when a kobold trips and falls over
stonefall traps that weigh
To scream through the night like an elf who is about to pay

I go to the still when my heart is lonely
I know I will drink what I've drank before
My gut will be blessed with the taste of ale
And I'll drink once more

In other words, I have no idea what I'm looking at. It looks like every single plant outside has been marked for harvesting, which is insane because the entire fort is on undead lockdown. I have no idea where these dwarves think they're supposed to be.

Would anyone like to explain the difference between "Indoors" and "Not Outdoors" to me? If I tell them to "stay inside dammit", will they go Indoors or will they simply be Not Outdoors? On second thought, don't answer that. I don't think I care enough.

Priority 1: Clean up the absolute chaos I'm being forced to look at. Make sure our humble force of dwarves is working productively. TRY to KIND OF memorize the layout of this place. (What? Don't look at me like that. Just because I've lived here doesn't mean this chaotic clusterfuck has ever made sense then or now.) I certainly hope there are no mystery levers...

Priority 2: Strike the damn sky already. We are well-fed and well-boozed. We are (technically) safe. (Almost) everyone is happy. There's really no excuse.

Wish me luck, Diary.
-Argembarger
I can see it now.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #329 on: July 04, 2013, 01:31:55 pm »

14th Galena, 109, Late Summer

Dear Diary,

I've recently been informed that a floor of Skyscrapes is devoted almost entirely to laying bloody corpses, skeletons and other assorted body parts out to rot. This is disgusting. I went to order some coffins to be made, and I was informed that there are currently over 140 coffins already. I have no idea where they are located at. There are also 40 slabs, presumably to memorialize those without remains. I have no idea where they are located at. I don't know anything. I may be the captain of this ship, but the whole thing is ramshackle and steers like a cow.

We also have no hospital. I was so shocked to discover this, considering we have an active chief medical dwarf, that I have taken the liberty of setting up a very small one near the forges, next to the skybridge leading to the (hideously underutilized) trade depot. It's only got a few beds, but it's a start. I'm tired of seeing dwarves limping around with mangled parts. Their complaints are just going to get everyone down if we don't take care of them.

Also, glancing at the skybridge gives me an idea of how to deal with the zombies... but it's risky as all get out and insane to boot.

Which means it's perfect, right?

-Argembarger

P.S. I found the coffins and slabs. They were with the corpses. I guess I was distracted by all the corpses.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2013, 01:33:30 pm by Argembarger »
I can see it now.

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23