Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyscrapes 2: Height of the Living Dead (succession)  (Read 68409 times)

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes 2: Scrape Harder! (succession)
« Reply #225 on: December 01, 2012, 07:58:33 pm »

Although we've been hampered by minor setbacks (running out of ammo while undead run rampant along the walls, halting all work), it's time to breach the tower.
The Defensive Flags take their position on the second floor.  There's barely 25 bolts to a dwarf, but it will have to do.

The Ochre Bells get inside to defend the staircase.  Only two of them have metal weapons.  As long as they hold the line, the civilians are safe in the tower behind locked doors.

Obok Oslanoddom steps forward to remove the wall

and runs for his life.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 02, 2012, 05:49:46 pm »

Needless to say there was a big battle.  Bolts were flying, goblins were flung from bridges and a stupid marksdwarf abandoning his post to pickup equipment got his head punched through "gaze into the fist of dredd"-style.

So the south tower is now ours, although we had to chop a mountain in half to secure it.

The courtyard is safe, undead can only spook civilians when they climb on the cliff ledges, and it shouldn't be too hard to clear out the north/south/east from the walls.  There are two temporary bridges set up to protect the south tower--one controls access to the cliff via the SW tower and one blocks ground entrance to the south tower.  The controls are in the inner tower, second floor, west of the archery range.  I wouldn't open them just yet as there's a gap in the NE corner of the S tower that will allow them to bypass the inner bridge.  I think a necromancer and two squads of goblins showed up in the meantime, so be ready when you open the bridge.  The military is in shambles and hasn't taken advantage of the metal weapons we recovered in the aftermath of the siege, although there's a decent pool of migrants to recruit from.

The inner bridge/chasm combo isn't complete.  Only the first four pairs are connected, and the pit isn't deep enough (although it still breaks enough limbs to inhibit further resistance).

Now that we have a reasonable degree of control over the region, it might be time to re-organize our infrastructure (food production, dining rooms, a hospital...) to alleviate the unhappiness and injuries caused by the long, bitter siege.

Map
Save

I'd be willing to do another turn so sign me up.

e: I forgot to dwarf myself.  Could the next overseer do that?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 05:56:56 pm by Microcline »

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 02, 2012, 06:24:01 pm »

I will start playing tomorrow or tuesday.

I admit that the fort makes make a bit confused ???
Especially when the only reference to got with is this::
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I suppose that  I will try making a larger area of the site secure and perhaps build a somewhat "different" tower. Perhaps something to do with refuse and necromancers or perhaps a sealed little self-sufficient compound inside a tower or something. Something that will make the tower a bit more interesting. (Yet not risk the safety of the dwarves. Much)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 03, 2012, 03:27:44 pm »

1st Granite

The bubble grass. It hurts my eyes!
I think that I found the gates Microline mentioned. Started fixing a few potential places the critters might get in.
Dorfed myself (engraver) and Microline (the militia commander).

10th Granite

Another ambush. Curse them!
We have 9 drinks and 0 prepared meals. Well, atleast we have plump helmets :P
Some many mediocre farmers but only one cook that is too busy farming and crafting stone blocks. Time to assign some jobs. We have many weapon/armorsmiths and I don't want to produce junk crafted by the dabbling smiths when the talented ones are idling in the background.
Our workshops and farms are all over the place.
Time to get some cooking and weaponcrafting done.

26th Granite

The goblins are fighting the zombie remains of our former citizens.
Started producing mechanisms for the zipperbridge.
I am planning on building a kitchen floor in one of the towers.

5th Slade

We need more stone so I ordered the pit under the central tower to dug even deeper. (No idea of the hole's purpose, but it is now deeper, thus more dwarven)
Also, our food production is back in good state.

23th Slade

Migrants. We will need a dorm. Stuffed some beds in the hollowed cliff.  The dwarves found a bunch of corpses in the cliffside while they were at it.
Dug slightly deeper pits.

12th Felsite

None of the migrants got inside. An armorsmith almost made it but was slaughtered just a few blocks away from the south tower gate.
A weaponsmith mooded. Good news, except we only have a single bar of nickel silver and charcoal. Currently smelting silver (atleast we can get some hammers)

19th Felsite

The dead walk (again)
This could get ugly. It is a rather large siege luckily we are inside (and the elven caravan outside) We won't starve and they shouldn't get in (As long as necromancers don't have a long ressurecting range. Then they could just zap our roofless cemetary.
I started constructing a small 2 dwarf complex inside the NE tower. It is held up by a support and after it is finished I will remove all other ways of accessing it. It is a decent sized strawberry farm and room for 2 workshops.
Our best weaponsmith is going to fail his mood. Where the heck are we going to get silk cloth in time?

10th Galena

The only metal we have is galena. I need to start digging for something more useful. (Though silver warhammers are pretty good againt zombies since the biome isn't resurrecting)

Somehow the weaponsmith managed to finish his mood (darn it, he was only possessed) and produced us a rather useful little weapon: A lead mace! (where did that drunken little bugger find spider silk?)

Tested the zipper bridge. Everything is connected.

20th Galena

Kobolds. Skulking filth. Well, atleast the necromancer has someone to keep him company.

The 2 dwarf tower is ready to be sealed. I screwed up and forgot that the floor above constructed walls is a supporting construct. Because of  that the construct can't be crashed down since it's second floor is connected to the roof yet it still suffers from being made so narrow so that it doesn't touch the walls of the tower. Crud
Edit: Didn't notice that collapsable towers are forbidden. Well, it won't collapse and even if it did it wouldn't affect the tower in any way.
Two dwarves starved in the mines. Might have had something to do with the burrows.
The south tower pit is not symmetrical (since the tower isn't completely round) . Someone can fix it if they want.
I tried to make The Defensive Flag shoot the darn necromancer but he is walking just out of their range.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2012, 03:56:48 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 03, 2012, 05:48:53 pm »

What's the deal with the zipper bridge, anyway?
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 03, 2012, 06:56:33 pm »

12th Galena

More kobolds.  I am almost starting to feel sorry for them (but not really)
Started looking for more galena (I'm starting to suspect that it's the only ore we have)

18th Galena

A militia commander mooded. Claimed a clother's workshops and is screaming that she wants silk. If she wants silk she can just walk outside and go ask our quests if they have any.
Six more goblin ambushes came. Poor bastards didn't live long.
Ok, actually they still live. They are just not alive anymore.

20th Galena

Ok, 8 ambushes :P
Lets see... Hmm, 3 necrodudes and roughly a hundred little corpsicles. I am darn glad that I'm in this side of the wall.

2th Limestone

The dorfs are partying around a table. I wonder if they are dancing thriller night  (it would fit the current state of the site. Not that I listen to that music)

Sandstone

I stopped trying to keep all the floors in the towers the same color. Too much hassle getting enough blocks of the same stone.

Started smoothing and engraving the walls near the bottom of the strange hole under the central tower just for the heck of it. Will dig it deeper when we need more stone.

10th Timber

One of the unfortunate idiots I chose for the sealed tower has been sleeping for the whole year. Broken spine or something. Time to deconstruct his bed and tell him to get back to work. BMacZero almost got trapped in the tower with them. The walls in the sealed part have been replaced with wall grates.
I sealed two dwarves in (one is complitely immobilized).

Moonstone

Not much has happened. The kitchen floor constructions are progressing rather slowly.
I ordered some stonefall and cage traps to be constructed in the south tower enterence.
Miners seem to have buggered off somewhere. The fortress hasn't changed much during my turn.
Miners seemed to be stuck in an area between the inner and outer walls. They could have gotten out but were scared of a rather menacing looking severed arm in the cliff. I presume that it was giving them the "finger" :P

Opal

The mayor mandates ballista arrows. Why the heck would we need them?

Dug into the murky pool and build a wall to prevent critters entering via it.
An eagle corpse flew inside the tower and started breaking havoc inside the bedrooms area. We only lost 2 dwarves. I suppose that we need to make our central tower airtight?
4 dwarves are starving on the ramps of the nort eastern tower. They can get out but are too scared to do so :P Constructions have been slow because the masons get scared and end up cowering in fear in some random corner and don't want to come down.

Obsidian

Even the mechanic is too scared to build any traps.
More gobbos came. Still unable to build the eastern kitchen tower.
The zombies moved away so the dorfs finally managed to start building the eastern side of the tower.
Cave-in while removing a piece of floor. Oops. No deaths.
Also, since I couldn't build a diningroom in the tower in time I constructed a floored dining room on the ground floor.

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7192
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11494-skyscrapes2]http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11494-skyscrapes2]http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-11494-skyscrapes2

No idea. I think that someone called it that earlier in this thread. It is just more ncomplicated way of building a bridge (pretty much just a dozen smalled bridges.) I suppose that it will work even if something too heavy steps on it since the remaining bridges still function.

So, basically during this turn:
-I mined more stone (a few areas deep underground and a pit under the main tower)
-Worked a little on the east tower. Severed the murky pool from the outside, started making a dining room and build kitchen/still where they are easier to find.
-Dug a shallow dodgetrap in the S tower
-Build a small, sealed section in the NE tower containing one dwarf and a dead paralyzed dwarf. While it can be collapsed the support is not linked so I hope it won't be against the rules. The dwarf doesn't have a pick but can get out by deconstructing. He has strawberries and a kitchen/still.
-Did some little things (food, booze, a few warhammers, some coffins, walls and a crude dormitory)

To the next overseer:
There is a ramp leading down from the walls/roof of the NE tower. Remove it if zombies get on top of the walls.
There is a small hole in the inner walls near the S tower that I used to let the scared miners out.
There should be some slabs of ghosts being produced. Stick them somewhere if the ghosts become a nuisance.
I suppose that the pit under the zipper bridge should be deeper.
Have fun.

Just one more thing about the zombies:
Sometimes. Sometimes they fly! The pecking! The PECKING!

The towers are still quite low. Must be because we have so many of them so we can't concentrate one or two. None of them except for the middle one can even be called towers. 
Also, pity the poor kobolds. They get gangraped by hordes of goblins, zombies, zombie goblins and various animals the very moment they enter the site.

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:39:57 am by Scruffy »

Et tu, Urist

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 03, 2012, 09:41:27 pm »

No idea. I think that someone called it that earlier in this thread. It is just more ncomplicated way of building a bridge (pretty much just a dozen smalled bridges.) I suppose that it will work even if something too heavy steps on it since the remaining bridges still function.
That's the basic idea.  Knowing this fort, it's only a matter of time until some enterprising necromancer brings his herd of zombie elephants.  This way we, anything we can't drop 20 z-levels we can trap and plink to death with crossbows and ballistae (or devise a more convoluted solution).

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 04, 2012, 07:22:47 am »

I honestly did not expect this to survive. Keep up the good work! It's sounding epic!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 04, 2012, 07:41:07 am »

Oh, and can I get a new turn?

Et tu, Urist

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 04, 2012, 08:52:38 am »

You're next Graebeard.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 05, 2012, 10:57:44 pm »

Oh, dang.  I'm working about 80 hours a week right now on year-end stuff.  Can I haz a bump down to the end of the list?
At last, she is done.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 06, 2012, 12:40:02 pm »

Next is Megaman3321.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 09, 2012, 01:41:58 pm »

Next is Megaman3321.
He hasn't been on since 22 November, so I don't know if we're going to get a reply.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 09, 2012, 02:10:53 pm »

You know what's really great is to look at the pics of this project growing while listening to music from the original series of Star Trek. *dun, dun, DUN, dun, DU-DU-DU-DUUUUUN!!!*
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 23