Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyscrapes 2: Height of the Living Dead (succession)  (Read 68405 times)

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes 2: Scrape Harder! (succession)
« Reply #240 on: December 09, 2012, 03:34:09 pm »

Next is Megaman3321.
He hasn't been on since 22 November, so I don't know if we're going to get a reply.
Sorry, I've been busy with studying for finals. Next up is TheDJ17.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 09, 2012, 09:56:56 pm »

Shit! I'd completely forgotten about this. I'd love to have a turn but school is being really crazy this week. Could you put my name at the end of the list please?
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 10, 2012, 11:44:26 am »

I would like a turn.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 10, 2012, 11:47:06 am »

Next up is TurkeyXIII

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 10, 2012, 12:55:15 pm »

Can I drop lower on the list? I want to give the potential new players a chance to have a turn before starting a second round.
(Though I'm eager to play)
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #245 on: December 11, 2012, 05:07:19 pm »

I don't think many people are going to be able to do this around this time of the year, due to the dreaded mulit-being known as finals.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 15, 2012, 09:44:37 pm »

Oh, already?  That'll learn me for not checking DF forums often enough.  I will start tonight.
A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 17, 2012, 08:42:01 pm »

5th Granite 106

Let's be blunt:  we have problems.  I migrated to this fort amidst promises of a towering monument of dwarven ingenuity, what I find it little more than a random assortment of scaffolding.  While we have the dwarfpower to fight the siege of undead constantly at our gates, some genius has dropped most of our weapons in an open field within sight of a zombified emu, where nobody dares venture to retrieve them.  And despite all this, the guy in charge is nonchalantly sitting back in his granite throne murmuring something about life and death.  We don't even have a manager!  Well, we do now.

A medium-sized bird with a distinctive fleshy wattle that hangs from the underside of the beak, and a fleshy protuberance that hangs from the top of its beak called a snood.

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 19, 2012, 12:34:24 am »

9th Granite

Not only us and kobolds that find the undead difficult to deal with.

15th Granite

The constant moaning of the undead beyond the walls have prove too much for Mafol, our secretive mechanic.  Or perhaps we just didn't have any silk, either can push a dwarf over the edge, so he went berserk.  A marksdwarf kept him subdued until a speardwarf came to take him out.

13th Slate

The production of bolts, crossbows and quivers has given The Defensive Flags enough equipment to take out the zombies harassing haulers in the south-west section.  The convenient arrival of a herd of unicorns to the north has also reduced the amount of terror involved in further constructions, so an extra few levels on the north tower should be able to continue.

In other news, Alath Nubamzaneg and Mezbuth Idakath welcome their third child.

19th Slate

After re-killing the same emu corpse three times, Zulban has concluded that there is probably a necromancer lurking around the southern section of the cliff.

13th Felsite

An elven caravan has arrived to the north-west, atop the zombie cliffs.  We have made a strategic decision to not attempt a rescue.

24th Felsite

Attained a general familiarity with wild boar training methods.  Ast the woodworker has tamed 9 wild boar which now run freely around the fortress.  Once we have a breeding population, we will be able to vary our diet beyond strawberry biscuits.

26th Felsite

Urvad the Blacksmith went fey, claimed a forge.

11th Hematite

After demanding we shear a llama for woolen cloth, Urvad made this:

15h Galena

And ambush!  Curse th- oh, wait, they're fighting the zombies.  Never mind, then. Although Microcline has taken it upon himself to shoot at one of the ambush parties from his vantage point on the wall.

(Microcline is on Z+1 of the brown walled tower, where he had been constructing a wall.)

19th Galena

Thanks to the heroic efforts of our goblin friends, there are no longer any zombies outside the tower walls.  There is one trapped in a section of the west tower that they couldn't get to, and a whole crapton in cages still.

A human caravan from Anthath has arrived in to the south-west, almost completely surrounded by goblins. I am still suspicious of the goblins motives for helping rid us of the zombie infestation, so I will keep the gates closed until the humans have negotiated safe passage through the goblin ambush parties.

21st Galena

It appears their negotiations have failed.

End of Summer Report:
Only three of the nine towers have been added to in the last six months, and that is unlikely to change until the end of the year.  The important areas like mayoral offices, including an office for me, are nearing completion.  Other non-essential projects, such as the hospital, have not been given much consideration.
The fort is sealed to the goblin ambush parties outside the gates.  There are about three or four groups left.  The mostly hang around the zombie cliffs, re-killing anything that gets raised out there.
While the weapons have been recovered and our bolt supply is good, building upwards, away from the goblins is a higher priority than killing them.  We have not had any migrants attempt to reach the fortress this year, fortunately.  Perhaps when we are better prepared to receive them they will return.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2012, 12:50:51 am by TurkeyXIII »

Ruhn

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 19, 2012, 09:37:49 am »

Good Progress!
I had my doubts before, but now I believe that the dwarves will survive and prosper in this wicked land.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 19, 2012, 09:44:13 am »

Good Progress!
I had my doubts before, but now I believe that the dwarves will survive and prosper in this wicked land.
They fight for a few years and then blend in with the local wildlife. If you ask me, Dwarves are evil creatures anyway. Kind of like a more dangerous underground variety of goblins.
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

TurkeyXIII

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 19, 2012, 01:14:20 pm »

Save is here:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=7239

I'll give an outline of how it went tomorrow when I'm awake.  It wasn't that interesting, but the next player should have a fun time of it  ;D

Edit:

9th Sandstone

Today we lost the first military dwarf on my watch.  Uzol Appearworked, the Symmetry of Strangers was shot through the heart in an attempt to chase the goblins away from the cliffs near the chert quarry.

21st Sandstone

Microcline, the militia captain, became possessed and claimed a mason's workshop.

Three weeks later, he presented this:

12th Timber

In the course of building the ceiling to the mayor's bedroom, Microcline was hit by a falling brick and broke his hand.  We hope he'll be ok: he's our best marksdwarf.

19th Timber

Again, a trade caravan has arrived amidst goblin ambush parties. It was assumed they would perish, and the gates remain closed.

The guards fight bravely, but ultimately all were killed upon the arrival of bowgoblin reinforcements.

13th Obisian

The dead walk! ...Still!  Again?

The necromancer has a huge number of corpses to raise, too.

End of year report:
Very little has been accomplished since the last report.  Work is being done, certainly, stone blocks being hauled left and right.  But time appears to be against us as we approach the end of the year and so few planned constructions yet bear any resemblance to what was intended.
And to top it off, all of the corpses that we've been more-or-less ignoring for the past 12 months just got up and started shambling around.  The arrival of a trade caravan becomes less and less likely.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 03:30:22 am by TurkeyXIII »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 19, 2012, 04:08:36 pm »

Next up is me.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 21, 2012, 05:26:16 pm »

There's got to be a good way to deal with all the zombies, but I've never tried.  Does something bad still happen if you dunk them in lava?
At last, she is done.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 21, 2012, 06:01:52 pm »

There's got to be a good way to deal with all the zombies, but I've never tried.  Does something bad still happen if you dunk them in lava?
Well, instead of being sieged by an endless horde of undead monsters we would be sieged by an endless horde of BURNING undead monsters (and our backyard would be covered in lava)

Magma only destroys corpses so the zombies would have to die first.

Edit: So, feel free to do it. Sounds fun.

Et tu, Urist
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 23