Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23

Author Topic: Skyscrapes 2: Height of the Living Dead (succession)  (Read 68422 times)

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
Re: Skyscrapes 2: Scrape Harder! (succession)
« Reply #270 on: January 16, 2013, 11:33:05 pm »

Sweet!  Due to some anomalous suspension of whatever ordinary physical laws seem to apply to these forts, I actually have time to do this.  Downloading now!

Edit: 372 undead.  That's like kind of a lot.  Something must be done.  Does anyone have experience with luring undead into automated traps?  Any designs you like for hoovering everything up?
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 12:35:05 am by Graebeard »
At last, she is done.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 17, 2013, 02:39:14 am »

I tried to make a ballista port in the SE tower, but I accidentally breached the wall trying to make a hole and couldn't wall off the door in time, so I had to savescum back a few seasons.

Something like this:

Don't know if it would work though. It's designed so siege operators/reloaders ideally have the least exposure to the undead, so they hopefully can fire before running away. (Don't know how effective ballistae are vs. undead either.)
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:51:06 am by Sizik »
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
  • !!DRUNK FORTRESS!! Come smell the ashes
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 17, 2013, 07:01:18 am »

Don't know if it would work though. It's designed so siege operators/reloaders ideally have the least exposure to the undead, so they hopefully can fire before running away. (Don't know how effective ballistae are vs. undead either.)
Not very effective. Unless you make the ballistae out of masterwork parts (really hard to get) many of the bolts will just hit the walls. Also they will only hit something if the zombies are really swarming the place
Edit: fixed typos. Was writing from a phone
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:30:17 pm by Scruffy »
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 17, 2013, 02:18:26 pm »

It was all so peaceful when we arrived.  Unicorns grazing over vast fields of bubble bulbs wafting in the wind, dappled with feather tree shade.  Mt. Dorfmoar serenely standing guard over the seemingly idyllic valley.

This, we agreed, was a good place.  A place we could find rest from our journey.  A place we could dig, and build, in peace.  A place we could call home.

Seven of us arrived that day.  One by one I watched the other six, and scores of the more recent immigrants lured here to their doom, fall to the festering evil lurking deep in the twisted heart of this place.  Now, of those that founded this place, I alone remain.  It is just me and fewer than one in five of the fools who followed us eking a life out of the corner of land we have closed off from the sea of undead rabidly clawing at our walls.

Rather than a magnificently planned tower (the stunted roots of which we hide within) it is our work that looms over us.  There is far, far more to do than the thirty two adults trapped within this aborted masterpiece could possibly accomplish alone.  The long-neglected and foolishly ambitious blueprints we drafted on our arrival contemplate an able-bodied workforce numbering in the hundreds, with thousands of dwarf-years of labor required to complete even the initial stages of the tower.  They lie alone, spattered in blood, stained by ichor and covered with the dust of years.

This was to be a testament to the grandeur and ingenuity of all dwarfkind.  It was to shout our mastery over the land and all that lies beneath it for all to hear.  Instead, our stillborn project mocks us and whispers our failure into the ears of all who happen by.

Perhaps it is too late.  Perhaps the safe thing to do would be to keep tightly locked up within these walls as the newcomers fall to the shambling horde outside and rise to join their ranks.  Perhaps the prudent thing to do would be to wait for a break in the monsters covering the landscape, hastily abandon this cursed place, and leave those still on their way to whatever fate they find here.

But no one ever achieved greatness by playing it safe.  And often a certain abdication of prudence is an element of success.  We must make this place safe for those who will arrive; we will need them if we are to complete our work.

I pick up and dust off the blueprints.  They crackle as I spread them open on the stone table.  The gathered crowd looks on silently.  Stark resolve glints in their hardened eyes.

“Here” I say, pointing to the abandoned shell of the southeast tower, “is where we start.”  My callused farmer’s hands smear away a portion of the delicate, intricate linework and I crudely draw new plans.

I look up at the other poor fools gathered around.  “I know you're scared; we're all scared, but that doesn't mean we’re cowards. We can take these skeletons.  We can take them, with science.”

-Tekkud “Graebeard II” Dodókniral
At last, she is done.

jesternario

• Bay Watcher
  • Round 1! DANCE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 18, 2013, 05:45:59 am »

I like that intro. It promises great story and just as great fun.
You are never lost as long as you have a trusty and reliable Compass. Mine kept pointing North, so I just removed the red Needle! Problem solved!

Then I proceeded to pick up the rest of the bunnies, the masterfully crafted bronze statue, and its head. The head will be his trophy... But I need money.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 21, 2013, 01:58:14 am »

Click to zoom

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 21, 2013, 02:47:46 am »

That second cavern layer is huuuuuuuuge.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 22, 2013, 02:36:34 pm »

How's the turn going?
The weredwarf Urist McUrist has come! A bearded drunkard twisted into minute form. It is crazed for booze and socks. Its unwashed beard is tangled. It needs alcohol to get through the working day and has gone without a drink for far too long. Now you will know why you fear the mines.

Et tu, Urist

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: February 04, 2013, 01:33:48 pm »

How scrapes ye?

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: February 18, 2013, 11:32:17 pm »

His last post was in the drunk fortress thread a month ago.  Anyone know what's up?

e: \/\/\/ Cool.  I'll get on it this evening.  It's a shame to miss whatever Graebeard constructed though.  He always makes the coolest stuff.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 10:44:50 am by Microcline »

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: February 19, 2013, 12:14:20 am »

Hmm, not been on the forums since the 27th, so I'll hand the turn off to you.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: February 23, 2013, 01:46:08 am »

Status report: Early Autumn

We're still under siege by the undead.  However, some of our marksdwarves have gotten pretty good at picking them off
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
The planes in front of the fortress are largely under our control, and we've been able to reduce the number of undead from over 390 to 305.

While I'd prefer that it'd go all the way to the caverns, I've deepened the chasm from a 2-5 z-level drop to a 3-11 z-level drop.  Combined with the marksdwarves and the southern tower, we should be able to break the siege by the end of the year.  The only area that we can't reliably hit are the cliffs where the necromancers are hiding.  However, this also means that unless they expose themselves to crossbow fire they can't revive their minions.

Unrelated, this could be troubling

We're playing Russian roulette with one of our dwarves (if we don't have or can't make what he wants, we're screwed) and I don't think large gems gems hold that much value in post-apocalyptic zombie hellscapes no matter how many masterful engravings of cheese are on it.

\/\/\/ If your save isn't to bad you can finish it/give it to me to finish.  I'm going to have to reset my year anyway due to some mistakes that would make it difficult for the next overseer.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 03:56:47 pm by Microcline »

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: February 28, 2013, 01:05:11 pm »

Just wanted to step back in and apologize to everybody about disappearing.  I let my general anxiety (at a high level now) manifest itself towards this game and just dropped it.

Microcline, I hope you're better able to deal with this mess than I was.  I'm sure you've figured it out by now, but the epic levels of cancel spam are a truly harrowing challenge.
At last, she is done.

Scruffy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 05, 2013, 01:38:49 pm »

We're still under siege by the undead.  However, some of our marksdwarves have gotten pretty good at picking them off
The planes in front of the fortress are largely under our control, and we've been able to reduce the number of undead from over 390 to 305.

While I'd prefer that it'd go all the way to the caverns, I've deepened the chasm from a 2-5 z-level drop to a 3-11 z-level drop.  Combined with the marksdwarves and the southern tower, we should be able to break the siege by the end of the year.  The only area that we can't reliably hit are the cliffs where the necromancers are hiding.  However, this also means that unless they expose themselves to crossbow fire they can't revive their minions.

We're playing Russian roulette with one of our dwarves (if we don't have or can't make what he wants, we're screwed) and I don't think large gems gems hold that much value in post-apocalyptic zombie hellscapes no matter how many masterful engravings of cheese are on it.

\/\/\/ If your save isn't to bad you can finish it/give it to me to finish.  I'm going to have to reset my year anyway due to some mistakes that would make it difficult for the next overseer.
Are you continuing?

Et tu, Urist

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: March 05, 2013, 03:11:17 pm »

Are you continuing?
Yeah at this point we should probably move on to the next person.  I won't have access to my desktop for a little while and my laptop can't really run DF.  I was going to have to restart my turn anyway.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 23