Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Dashringed, A 1x1 succesion game!  (Read 9026 times)

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
Re: Dashringed, A 1x1 succesion game!
« Reply #75 on: September 28, 2022, 05:15:46 pm »

My name is Flame, and I have seen what is coming.

This world is a harsh one. The lands are polluted and corrupt. Monsters fill every corner. Vile demons and necromancers lead their armies against all that is good.

Civilization will fall. There is too much stacked against it. Even here, they will come for us.

They will come, to take our riches.

They will come, to devour our flesh.

They will come, because we are alive.

We will not let them.

We must build this place strong enough to weather the storm.

First, we need to take stock of our resources.

We have very little wood. It must be used only for what is necessary. I curse the overseer who wasted in on barrels.

We have no metal. We have only what we can buy or what we can take from our invaders.

We have sand. Sand makes glass. Glass is a good alternative to wood, lighter than stone, fireproof, and beautiful.

We have clay. Clay makes earthenware. Earthenware is less useful than glass, but we do have access to it.

Glass and earthenware require fuel. We don't have enough wood to supply that fuel. We need the earth's blood. I've sent our miners to extend the stairway down until they reach warm rock.

We have stone. Near the surface, we have schist and slate. Inferior stones, fit for dirt-scratching humans. Lower down we have marble. A beautiful stone, but we need to save it for steel. Some overseer has built rooms down there. If our forges grow hungry, they may need to be moved. We also have phyllite, quartzite, gniess, and diorite, but not much of each. The gabbro layers are filled with watery caverns. Below all that we have granite. Though it may be far from the surface, granite is what we will build our fortress from. Its strength will serve us well.

Around this time, the elves departed and dumped half their goods in the doorway. I hope this doesn't sour our relationship with them. We have enough enemies without making more.

Also, some migrants... or refugees... arrived. Hopefully we can house and feed them all. We will certainly put them to work.

Here I am building the new magma glass furnaces. The forges and smelters will go to the north.

OHSHIT

All I can do is send the military and see how it plays out.

It's already in the fort.

It's dogpiled by our brave, stupid dwarves. Two are already infected. Our wereweasel may have some company.

At the end of it all, Linkxsc ends its life with a pick through the heart. The military never made it. Four dwarves were infected, but no casualties. Let this be a lesson to us. To never let our guard down.

Three of the infected were successfully quarantined. Perhaps someday they will serve the fort once more, but for now, they remain here. Unfortunatly, the fourth, a child, could not be ordered. In order to rid the fort of the danger he presented required him, his parents, and his younger brother to be banished from the fort.

Humans visited the fort. They brought news. I bought cages, barrels, bags, bins of leather, food, drink, and books. What wonderful trading partners!

The werecreatures are contained.

Oh boy, migrants. We definitely don't have enough beds for them. Let's fix that.

I should also mention that this whole time I've been quarrying granite and having all our useless mouths carve and haul granite bricks.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 01, 2022, 12:03:46 pm »

Some farmer made an artifact. Now she's the only woodcrafter in the fort, and legendary at that. Not bad, all in all, but I'm still training most of the fort to be masons so they'll make better artifacts, among other things.

I have made a thing of beauty. I have packed as many bedrooms into this one z-level as physically possible. We don't have enough wood for all the beds, but we have some, and I'll start making the doors and cabinets right away.

Good luck assholes, the door's locked.

Several months later, I've decided to lift the siege. The military has been training and naming their weapons this whole time.

Here they come...

And we've wiped out the siege. No casualties or wounds, though there were some close calls. I opened the front door, designated the armor and weapons to be brought inside and melted, and ordered some trees chopped.

Then the necromancers arrived. Four of them, and a vast army of zombies and fell creatures. The surface is still littered with corpses. The gates were shut in time, but sadly, Ubbul the carpenter and Shorast the manager, bookkeeper, and legendary bonecarver were left outside. They put up a good fight before they went down. There's no way we can defeat this army the way we are now. So much for my plans for a massive surface contruction.

Another artifact. A stonecrafter isn't the worst thing to be.

Spoiler: Good luck~~ (click to show/hide)

SAVE: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16103

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
  • AKA: Obsidian Sword
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 01, 2022, 02:34:07 pm »

Spoiler: Good luck~~ (click to show/hide)

We're gonna need a lot of magma.
Still an active reader of the forums.

The 10,000 Dwarf Challenge

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 11, 2022, 10:03:58 pm »

bumping this one. . . sign me up for a turn -or- I can take over Avolition's go if that is desired.

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 12, 2022, 09:32:57 am »

You have my authorization, I need to update the OP anyway.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2022, 09:46:09 am »

Didn't know it was my turn, didn't ask to go back on the list so feel free to do so
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2022, 02:51:50 pm »

Enjoy the zombies

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 12, 2022, 11:32:10 pm »

oh my god

this fortress is full of blocks, zombies, and turkeys.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The blood thorn beds look rather nice so I guess I'll stick around.

. . . was this segment of the tunnels on the second cavern meant to be flooding? it looks as though a staircase was dug so as to breach through the stone into the lake. WELP

. . .

A cathedral of glass, yessssss, but it wont do to put it on the surface with all these rotting creatures stumbling about. We must make a volume of space underground, cutting away the loose stalactites, flattening the passages and clearing out the muck. Now fire the forges! We need bags for the sand! Get lifting, dwarves!

☼Obsidian Short Sword☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2022, 03:18:22 pm »

. . . was this segment of the tunnels on the second cavern meant to be flooding? it looks as though a staircase was dug so as to breach through the stone into the lake.

If I remember properly, I was trying to drain some section of the cavern. But I don't think it was the second layer.

I looked at the images again, That was all me. I forgot that liquids could travel through diagonal tiles, So the main staircase flooded. I tried all kinds of workarounds. But it was a lost cause.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2022, 03:21:01 pm by ☼Obsidian Short Sword☼ »

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2022, 07:07:01 pm »

I built a small temple which has immediately become a huge success. It's crammed full of people, but hey - at least they're not having sex any more.

. . . lol

---

work continues. the entire fortress, in a single .gif:

You will notice a huge amount of blank space after the second cavern- there is so much untouched stone.

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 19, 2022, 07:55:00 pm »

bedrooms with slightly more furniture:

this thing lives in our cavern lake, apparently:

some of our dwarves happened to be stuck outside on a tree when the pig arrived. it took some convincing to remove them from the wet fungal fronds.

metal (non-existent on this map)is slowly collecting underneath the smelters.

a brilliant, little library, constructed by a previous overseer:

the captive were-beasties have begun to talk to each other, through the loam walls:

Id the weremole was possessed, which subsequently failed, driving him more insane than he was previously, somehow.

Obsidian died at the bottom of a staircase when a rock block was dropped from 20 z-levels above you by a careless dwarf. this was perhaps the single most exciting thing to occur during my year here.

stats screen at turn end:

Finally, my green glass 'cathedral' turned out to be more of a . . . vertical tube. . of glass. . yeah.

the start:

the final state:

It took a long ass time and I was sort of unimpressed with the result, but it should provide a safe place to farm trees and pasture animals. it is airtight, you could fill it with water if you wanted. . . the western side has an exit bridge, with levers marked accurately.

The siege left in the last month of Winter. I took a good long look at the surface full of broken arrows and rotting limbs. . and left it for the next dwarf.

if some soul seeks a succession save, look no further: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=16129
« Last Edit: October 19, 2022, 07:56:56 pm by Salmeuk »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]