No
- 1 (3.6%)
It was fun for a long time but towards the end it just started to drag
- 6 (21.4%)
I wish I could have joined in.
- 17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 306

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued... FULL DISCLOSURE  (Read 250404 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued...
« Reply #4515 on: February 15, 2013, 09:29:21 pm »

"I can try to lower the opacity, but there's the possibility that it might be able to escape that way," X answered.

"What, as light?" Hugo replied, incredulous.

"As information.  Furthermore, there's no way to make it a one-way view, so it'll be able to see us as well."

The dragon nodded in acknowledgement.  "There's no way around it."

"Very well," said X.  He twisted a pair of knobs on his console, and the blackness of the barrier gave way to a view of the circle of still-charred ground within.  The thing was there, sitting perfectly at the center of the dome as a shapeless puddle of black sludge.  It didn't react to the change in the barrier.

"Huh," Hugo commented.  "It doesn't look like it can see us."

"Of course not.  It doesn't have any eyes."  X rubbed his chin thoughtfully.  "I would guess that this is its most basic form.  Without a target to read from, it can't take a more complicated shape."
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4516 on: February 16, 2013, 12:48:56 am »

"Is there any way we could separate some of it? Perhaps it might be weakened if we divided it."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4517 on: February 16, 2013, 12:52:20 am »

[Given its highly mimetic nature, this is ill advisable. It does not have a sensory system in its inate state, nor any reproductive system. It is likely that it reprduces by fission. Removing a sample could produce 2 creatures, where there was previously only one.]

[That said, it could possibly be destroyed using some of thari's magical techniques, in an indirect fashion.  The creature is divided, one section is genetically altered to cause a mutual rejection with the other. The divided section is reintroduced to containment. The creature kills itself.]

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4518 on: February 16, 2013, 01:09:03 am »

[The creature is a magical abomination created from unformed, undirected aberrant magic mutating something from the woods. I don't think it has a viable reproductive mechanism. We're not dealing with a deliberately engineered monster here.]

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4519 on: February 16, 2013, 02:21:22 am »

[Introduce it to the fluffballs; see which problem succeeds in nullifying the other, contain remaining threat. Number of threats remaining = number of initial threats - 1]
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4520 on: February 16, 2013, 04:06:09 am »

[That said, it could possibly be destroyed using some of thari's magical techniques, in an indirect fashion.  The creature is divided, one section is genetically altered to cause a mutual rejection with the other. The divided section is reintroduced to containment. The creature kills itself.]

The grey goo -solution again?

But seriously, Thari's stuff is bad. It should be a final resort.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4521 on: February 16, 2013, 12:31:15 pm »

[at this point, options are options. Even unpleasant ones should be up for consideration.]

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4522 on: February 16, 2013, 04:37:39 pm »

[I'd be up for throwing X's captive fluffball at it.  I can't guarantee they won't combine into one super-being, though.  Also, we have no idea at this point what strain of fluffball it is.  If they do merge, we might end up with an even more indestructible enemy on our hands, the abilities of which could be beyond those of either individual.]
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4523 on: February 16, 2013, 05:23:35 pm »

[Just extract a couple teaspoons of it for a sample. Anyway, X needs to say whether it's even possible to divide the shield.]

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4524 on: February 16, 2013, 11:15:47 pm »

[Sorry, I've been celebrating the coronation.]

X, Hugo, Eric, and the others debated possible plans for the disposal of the thing.  Magma was a popular option, as was crushing it or compromising its integrity.  Lana was in favor of leaving it to starve, while X had suggested introducing his captive fluffball into its cage.  His reasoning was that, one way or another, they'd have one less threat to deal with.  Plus, if worst came to worst and they teamed up or something, the shield would still be able to hold them both.

Of course, the problem with any of these plans was how to implement it safely; the shield couldn't be partially lowered, only fully.  If they wanted to put anything in there with the blob, they'd have to be fast.  Inhumanly fast.  Perhaps even demonically fast.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: February 17, 2013, 11:29:12 pm »

[Back from convention! Sorry, I only paid for 1 day of internet access at the hotel.]
[Let's be scientific and try them all in order. Though it has to be relatively quick, as Mita still has to shoot the turkey in the evening.]

Within a few minutes, they had surrounded the bubble with large blocks. Perhaps not as complete a container, but it certainly placed the path of least resistance in a predictable point, and any of the creature's currently available forms would have trouble getting through any way but out the top. From the top of the hole, they hoisted up a boulder, which X had inscribed upon the bottom two incredibly shallow semi-circles, making it a sort of giant stamp.

X stood back. "We will now test both crushing and separation, as the creature's mass will hopefully be distributed into the two seperate crushing compartments on the bottom. I will deactivate the bubble, and when I give the signal, push in the stamp."

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4526 on: February 26, 2013, 10:37:54 am »

(I decided to take a glance at the old thread again, and I came across this:
Is it another site on the same world, or are we going to a new world?
Which got me to thinking that we could create an alternate continuity for other players to join.  Could even make that world a start from scratch, but this thread would keep advancing.  Thoughts?)
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 10:40:36 am by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: February 26, 2013, 02:53:00 pm »

[Well, I figure people could have done that without anyone elses' input if they wished to...]
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: February 27, 2013, 03:52:45 am »

[Crap, I am too busy to even read anything anywhere on the internet, let alone make a meaningful post, at least until Thursday, probably Friday. Hope nothing major has happened from the new post notification.]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: February 28, 2013, 07:50:49 pm »

[...stack of 18 part numbers with special customer instructions that require internal datasets on my desk, following hot on the heels of abusive winter snow knocking out most of my data acess last week, and stranding me in my house... I come back, "Here, digitize these!", so I do.... next day.. "here's a stack of shit needing internal models made for programming purposes!" ......]

[Basically, I may be limited on time budget to play for awhile. Its kinda convenient that the mighty pajama wizard has been incarcerated in the infirmary, where there's nothing much to do except stare at the cieling. It makes a great cover for my inactivity!]
Pages: 1 ... 300 301 [302] 303 304 ... 306