No
- 1 (3.6%)
It was fun for a long time but towards the end it just started to drag
- 6 (21.4%)
I wish I could have joined in.
- 17 (60.7%)

Total Members Voted: 28

Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 306

Author Topic: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued... FULL DISCLOSURE  (Read 250398 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: If Bay Forum were a Mountain Hall, continued...
« Reply #4530 on: March 01, 2013, 12:31:34 am »

[Clearly all is not well in this vast expanse of the internet.]
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: March 02, 2013, 12:19:29 am »

[Alright, need to get things moving again, pull out the major plug I've been hampering us with now that it's fucking March. I'm going to assume that bisection/crushing killed it, based on good info from an authoritative source on the creature.]

[Since the delay was so long, though, I've got a little surprise planned.]

The newest mutant had been an alarming surprise, raising the question of what other dangerous unpredictable effects might come from the pollution. Still, the close call only seemed to further HugoLuman's determination for a "We're still freaking alive!" holiday. Later that evening, Eric found that someone had somehow put up the remains of the magic lashing-vine-root-things in the dining hall as some kind of garland. Dwarves being dwarves, one of them had decided to braid what modest gemstones they had through it. They'd only found quartz crystals in the time they'd spent here, though there could always be something more interesting in the caverns.

Wierd's hospitalization had put a wrench in the plan, though. Aside from a very capable member of the already skeleton crew not being able to work for a few days, he was also the only cook who knew how to make anything remotely resembling a thanksgiving or christmas dinner. Still, at least he wasn't hurt any worse than he was. And when HugoLuman visited him on regaining consciousness, he said he might, but no promises, be able to dictate to the less deranged of the cooks. "Don't get your hopes up, though. We'll have to see."

Additionally, diplomacy with the rats seemed postponed. In the short follow-up meeting, they told HugoLuman that most of them, including their leaders, were heading back to their "ancestral home" for the duration of the "death-cold-heavy" of ten days or so. Which probably meant they were taking shelter in Thari's basement, somewhere unpleasant but with safe hiding places familiar from generations of rats living there.

In the evening, the overcast sky had thickened and snow began to fall again, more heavily than last night. In the morning, the 24th of Obsidian, there was a bona-fide ground cover of shallow snow, unmelted as the sun was behind very thick, dark clouds.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: March 02, 2013, 01:31:38 am »

With the dining rooms mildly decorated, Eric felt mildly more festive and relaxed. He had taken some of the bio-luminescent plates from his now-butchered adult centipede pair, who could not be safely kept now that he was growing weaker and weaker in the realm of his magical prowess and could rarely expend so much energy just to tell them not to do this or that, and hung them in the dining hall, reanimating them as a sort of undead lights. It was at least cheaper to do this.

Now, the dining room was decorated not only with vines and quartzite, but lovely lighted bits of exoskeleton which would flash a different color every other second or so. It was slow, in no particular pattern, and proved entirely safe. Or at least as safe as light strings ever were. They were provided energy and nutrients through small amounts of blood he'd trapped in their veins under scar tissue which simply formed as he'd kept them alive, and would strobe continually until he chose not to feed them anymore. Or rotted for his failure to properly upkeep them, whichever came first. Biology wasn't his major, and preventing infections of tissues no longer connected to a body wasn't that high a priority.

Researching his dream of preventing death in the first place by saving the soul the complications of the afterlife and regenerating their bodies had never really died, and he had spent a little bit of his free time working on the problems. He'd never had access to Thari's notes, and presumed Weird or Hugo had confiscated them, probably just because they felt he was prone to some similarly extreme sadism as she had been. However, the small bits of notes in her "diary" or auto-biographic portion of text at the end of My Friend, Kodkod had at least provided bridges across gaps in his creativity. She mentioned that "...I had found that it is possible to actually keep disembodied tissues alive after excising them from a body, even without use of magic, and only providing a small dose of a healing potion. I detailed it in my research notes in section..." and that had triggered memories of his regarding something similar in a biology class he'd taken; body tissues separated from an animal yet provided an environment mimicking the creature's body and introducing proper nutrients could be kept alive and possibly grown in a petri dish. He had assumed that Thari probably used this find in combination with her magics and whatever else in some sick and twisted experiments, probably related to welding tissues onto the elves... Eric, though, had simply tried providing the lighted exoskeleton bits with some magic-transferred energy and nutrients, and succeeded in keeping them alive for many hours after the death of the centipedes themselves, and now could mimic the proper conditions to keep them going maybe for a couple days, enough time for this holiday period Hugo had wanted to come up with.

Today would be a good day, though, as he'd convinced the others NOT to play with the captured monster until they were better prepared, and as far as they knew it was still properly contained in it's entirety. On top of that, he'd had time to partially excavate Wierd's new lab in the deep quartzite deposit, and it proved to have zero detectable fractures in the small portion he'd prepared already. The material was also nice for carving furniture, and he'd processed a large chunk of it into the rough likeness of a table he could haul out and refine tomorrow. Rocks everywhere, for sure, but the quartzite was a rather lovely stark-white in comparison to the complex granite, gabbro, and diorite available lower down, and the relatively ugly sedimentary deposits above.

But that was all work, and Eric realized he had nearly no social life. Athel and his girlfriend were his primary companions now, and he rarely spoke to anyone else for anything other than work or business of some manner. This new holiday would be a remarkable chance to slack off and chat with the few dwarves remaining in the fortress, if they were willing to talk to "that damned fool who always wants to work instead of party."
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: March 02, 2013, 01:58:37 am »

[Dwarf fortress players on holiday: create garland out of evil magic vines and bioluminescent alien flesh, powered by blood and necromancy. Lovely :D]

It was the 24th, the eve, and tonight HugoLuman would have to bring his plan to fruition. Outside, near behind a bank in the stream which had been the only place available yesterday to do this kind of work unnoticed, Reudh was stacking the small stone objects. "Think we have enough for tonight?" asked HugoLuman, approaching.

"Certainly. Didn't take me an hour to make enough for everyone to have 5. And I've made some for the tree." Reudh held out a sack containing 25 stone balls, perfectly round except for some kind of clip (which seemed impossible for something made of stone), and perfectly smooth except for intricate pattern designs.

"Wow... those are... those are something," commented HugoLuman. If those didn't get the dwarves into the spirit of the thing, nothing would. Well, maybe spiked eggnog.

Reudh looked up at the sky. "Think those will cause trouble?"

"What, a blizzard? Nah, there'd have to be some kind of lead up of a few days of cloudy weather. I think."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4534 on: March 02, 2013, 02:46:46 am »

Wierd stared up at the ceiling irritably.  So much to do, so little time to do it in, and the dogged persistence only machines could muster conspired to keep him in the observation ward.

Gizogin had peeled him out of his nightshirt, cleaned and dressed his now lividly purple and black striped arms, and had wrapped in immobilization splints to keep him from moving his wrists. It was a sensible precaution; the gloves had only kept debris from the exploding vines from burrowing into the skin, and had done essentially nothing to prevent the shock compression wave from damaging all the soft tissues below. Allowing him to move his hands would only aggravate the tendon damage he had suffered, complicating recovery, and possibly ruining his ability to ever grasp properly again. It would likely be several weeks to a month before the splints could come out, and would be the hell of daily inspections, sterile washings, and new wrappings being added for at least the next coming week.

Agitatedly, he wondered if he could get away with sabotaging his robot guardians, escaping the infirmary, and finishing the tasks he had risked frostbite the night before getting ingredients for.  Food didnt cook itself, afterall....

He'd probably get in so much trouble if he did, that it would negate the purpose of having the holiday event to begin with... Or so he thought to himself, grumpily sitting on the hospital bed.

Then something hit him. How he could have forgotten!?

"X!" he shouted at the entryway into the lobby. "X! Get in here!"

Moments later, a displeased looking doppelganger of Dr. Gizogin fluidly slipped into the room, wearing a tight lipped and stern, if not displeased expression.  "What is it now?" he asked tersely.

"I forgot that I locked Mr. Peepers in my closet!" wierd protested. "He's been in there all night and all day without any food or water! Poor chicken! I need to go take care of him!"

"You know you can't leave until you have been properly discharged, and you are SUPPOSED to be right here, recovering from that foolish stunt you pulled." X intoned. "You ALSO know that you WONT be discharged, until AFTER the risk of infection and debilitating injury has subsided..." he continued in an almost condescending tone.

Wierd wouldnt have it though.

"And YOU should know that leaving a 300lb saber toothed chicken the size of a large St. Bernard without food is not a terribly wise decision, unless you want a ravenously hungry mutant monster rampaging through the fortress pecking at anything with warm blood and that moves." He said pointedly. "You should ALSO know that Mr Peepers hasnt had a whole lot of.. shall we say... Social time.. with the other fortress residents, and can be quite persistent when he wants to get out... Why, I wouldn't be surprised to find the door to my closet with some rather nasty chicken related damage already! So, unless you want to add several more patients with nasty dinosaur bites and possible eviscerations, I suggest you let me out for a little bit."

X's eyes narrowed to thin dark slits, and he glared at the mummy-wrapped necromancer with extreme prejudice.

After nearly a minute of silent glaring between the two, X, not breaking eye contact for even a millisecond, raised a single eyebrow, then pointed at the door.

"You have 20 minutes. Do your errand, and come straight back here. If you fail to show up, I *WILL* track you down."

"Plenty of time.." wierd smiled at him.  X's impossibly sour expression only seemed to deepen.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2013, 03:11:21 am by wierd »

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: March 02, 2013, 12:33:03 pm »

X couldn't stand wierd sometimes.  Sure, they got along well enough for the most part, and even occasionally worked together on a bit of research or magical tinkering, but the necromancer's blatant disrespect for authority (his authority, specifically) was grating.  The hospital was his domain, and his rules existed for a reason.

X spun around on his heel and strode into his workroom.  He could feel the Core brimming with energy, and was raring to get his magic back.  Now, he decided, was as good a time as any for him to finish his powering-up sequence; he'd prepared a clear space on the floor in case of overcharges, and with the hospital empty he wasn't likely to be interrupted.

The process was simple enough.  With the Core filled, all X had to do was make the mental connection to it, which would allow the magic to flow back out and be used in his spells.  It was relatively straightforward, and only made easier by the fact that he'd done it several times before with each new upgrade.  He stood in the center of the cleared space, closed his eyes, and made the now-familiar effort to link with the Core.

For a moment, it seemed nothing would happen.  Then, without any warning whatsoever, X locked up completely.  His body, now rigid, toppled over forwards, hitting the floor with a resounding clang.  It would have looked almost comical, if any of the G-Bodies or constructor drones able to watch it had any capacity for humor. 

For several minutes, X remained completely still, until eventually his eyes snapped open.  He blinked a few times, then gathered up his limbs and climbed unsteadily to his feet.  He stared at his hands blankly, flexing his fingers with an expression of increasing confusion.  Then, realization dawned.

X laughed.  It wasn't a pleasant sound.  "Oh, Lana, the company you keep," he muttered, his voice tinged with amusement.  "This should be interesting."
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: March 03, 2013, 03:14:04 am »

[Qu'est-que c'est?]

[So, anyways, dinner might not be too big a worry unless something takes more than a day to prepare. Fresh-killed turkey shouldn't be that hard, given that it doesn't need to be thawed, right?]

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: March 03, 2013, 06:25:24 am »

[I assume Gizogin X was DDoSed by the spirits in the Core. Heh.]

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: March 03, 2013, 02:23:45 pm »

[Gizogin or X should probably go check on Zanz's general, to talk about Mita.]

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: March 06, 2013, 03:59:22 pm »

[*suspects that X is being posessed by the malevolence of Lana's father, via the sympathetic magic of the blood droplet. Seriously X, such a noob mistake to not include a firewall? Weird will razzle him hard for this when he gets reset back to normal! On the other hand... with X malfunctioning, if Weird is tardy for his scheduled return to the infirmary, it would scream that something was wrong with him. The current plan was to get Lana on board as a conspirator, to smuggle him in and out of the infirmary undetected between checkups, so that the cooking can proceed. Weird has to supervise the kitchen staff, and play head chef afterall.]

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4540 on: March 07, 2013, 12:05:24 am »

[Oh noes! A nightmare before christmas? I don't think we're quite ready for the effects of another outburst of dark magic after Mrhappyface's one killed pretty much everyone. If many more of our dwarves die before the reinforcements show up, we'll soon have to add the survivors to the named cast.]

As the day went on, the weather outside quickly deteriorated, the winds getting faster every hour. It began with a peal of thunder around noon (probably; the sun was invisible.) Then came the hale shortly after, but that was quickly replaced by more snow. And still more snow. By late afternoon, the winds were positively howling and visibility was nonexistent. As dwarves are wont to just keep going about their underground business, no one seemed much concerned. No one, that is, except HugoLuman, who seemed extremely anxious for some reason.  Close the doors, set a bucket of magma somewhere airy, and come tomorrow they'd be warm and comfortable with a feast underway. Why worry about anything outside? At any rate even diseased beasts would have their own problems to worry about under 10 feet of snow.

Nonetheless, preparations for tomorrow were going as smoothly as could be hoped. The dwarves found the idea of bringing a tree inside and decorating it very bizarre, but any outlandish tradition was a good tradition if it meant a feast. They agreed that Reudh's ornaments were certainly fine stonescraftship, and Vemini remarked that Jerry had selected a very nice fir sapling. Somehow, the kitchens managed to emit the smell of decidedly non-dwarven cooking.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 12:06:55 am by HugoLuman »

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: March 11, 2013, 02:50:58 pm »

[Sick today! At least I'll have time for this now :)]

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4542 on: April 04, 2013, 09:25:22 pm »

I created a thread for an alternate universe restart in order to allow more people to play.  Link below:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124657.0
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: April 05, 2013, 12:39:51 am »

Yeah, sorry. The person I was waiting on became scarce, at the worst possible moment. We really should have finished Dwarfmas about three weeks ago.

I might consider making the new thread canon, if it follows the same scenario as this. We could set it an indeterminate amount of years in the future from this thread. Though, given the nature of our scenario, that might not bode well for our group. Given our predecessors, our adversary only seems to play one game at a time...

Hmm, I already have 3 distinct ideas for a crossover. Yes, we'll see how this goes. And if I don't hear from my contact by Tuesday, I'll just skip the surprise.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: April 05, 2013, 10:50:16 am »

I might consider making the new thread canon, if it follows the same scenario as this. We could set it an indeterminate amount of years in the future from this thread. Though, given the nature of our scenario, that might not bode well for our group. Given our predecessors, our adversary only seems to play one game at a time...

Who knows?  Since we can only view the game we are in when it is running, he could be playing both games, and since the universes are connected...

Edit: Would anyone here be playing in the new thread?  Thus far, there isn't much detail in any of the posts in that thread as this one.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 03:57:56 pm by Zanzetkuken The Great »
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon
Pages: 1 ... 301 302 [303] 304 305 306