Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Now that DF has minecarts, the next step is OIL!  (Read 14095 times)

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Now that DF has minecarts, the next step is OIL!
« on: May 17, 2012, 09:59:36 am »

... together with liquid hydrocarbon-based fuels, fraction distillation, petrochemical industry and... plastics! PVC armor FTW!

Polyethylene and polystyrene will finally make the fortresses aesthetically pleasing. Translucent acrylic-based riot shields and helmet with translucent visors will make combat safer, plus give dwarfs that sleek robocop-style look.   

Progress cannot be stopped!

Oil should be producible from both conventional and non-conventional resources, from classic pumps and derricks to hydraulic fracturing and natural gas liquefication.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 10:01:21 am by Kamamura »
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Now that DF has minecarts, the next step is OIL!
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 10:03:57 am »

yes. here is a ball *gives ball*

Is it made from synthetic, polymerised hydrocarbon chains?
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 11:21:07 am »

Petroleum would be the best thing for Toady to work on when he decides to expand the liquid system, since it is a relatively big geological feature. It would also be a good thing to put in the raws, which would open up the possibility for many different modded liquids.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 11:53:58 am »

Oil and distillation aren't unreasonable things to ask for, but not in the same sentence. Dwarves have the technology to distill alcohol to high purity. I think it'd help matters if the distillation process was more involved. Having to provide fuel for the brewery/getting a new building altogether would make matters way more fun on that front.

Oil, coal and ngas are just too fun to do without. Especially if they all kill you, like they should.

Once you have oil and distillation, you can mod in a custom workshop called "distillation column." Have crude and fuel as an input and your favorite petroleum fractions, such as benzene, as outputs. Then you mod in your entire organic chemistry textbook. I promise I will play your mod if you do that.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 12:15:17 pm »

Considering that we have a workshop called a Still, and that we have Rum and Whiskey, I'd say distillation does exist, in an off-camera way, in Vanilla.

However, the leap from distilled liquors to fractional distillation of hydrocarbons is an engineering step by multiple orders of magnitude.  They do not have that kind of technology.

To my mind, yes, hydrocarbons would be present in geological formations, but would be less of a useable resource than a contaminant and perhaps as a mining hazard.  See: canary test.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 12:19:36 pm »

Oil can work as a form of pitch and asphalt that can be harvested and used for waterproofing wood, provided people start building warships and such out of wood materials and such (most effective for below water level; can also add difficulty in building through aquifers), and additionally, harvesting and pooling oil into buckets or minecarts, set them on fire, and dumping them over your fortress walls and on top of sieges and ambushers to give them a "fair warning" about your fort.

Provided lighting gets implemented a little more past adventure mode, kerosene production can be used for cave exploration and laying torches/lanterns all over the place to improve the atmosphere or lighting of the fortress interior. Naturally, for fortress mode, they would add to the aesthetics of the fort, but as an added bonus, they can also fend off pests/vermin.

To make a lantern (classic genie lamp style), you'd require 1 metal bar, 1/7 (or bucket) processed oil/kerosene, and 1 fiber rope. Glass lanterns would include 1 glass block, and can be placed/built, as well as carried; whereas the other is more like a finished good rather than furniture. Naturally, they will eventually need to be reloaded with more oil or fiber rope to keep them working/lit indefinitely. A bit of simple maintainence, especially where long lasting forts are concerned. Such a task could be assigned to Furniture hauling job.

For torches, they'd be a wood log and a small stack of cloth, (1 log (or a stack of bones), 2 cloth rolls, 1 bucket of pitch oil = 10 torches). Can be carried and placed, but aren't as effective as lanterns. Alternatively, skulls can be used for making lanterns or skull candle holders. As good quality decoration as a totem. Alternatively, (5) (bees)wax candle + Totem = Skull chandelier/Candle-post.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 12:34:33 pm by Itnetlolor »

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 02:03:49 pm »

Fixing FPS problems... I can't think of a worse way to lose a fort than by FPS (besides harddrive failure).
OR
Fixing Siege Issues(copper bolts commonly piercing adamantine armor, goblins killing their squad mates causing loyalty crusade{3685}, blunt weapons extremely ineffective{2327}, overpowered cages, some other battle bugs(535, 2712, 4590).  And lets not forget the scenario where dwarves with ranged weapons refuse to reload ammunition because they can see an enemy which is very painful.

the above are way more important than adding new games features unless you're playing with invasions turned off on 4X4 or smaller maps.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 12:33:03 pm by NTJedi »

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 03:42:18 pm »

Despite the above listed "fixing" issues, I really thought that trained dancing girls and stripper poles where the next step after minecarts. How they heck can I get my dining rooms up to "Heavenly" if I can install stripper poles and train dancing girls?!?!?! I *DEMAND* dancing girls and stripper poles! =P

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 03:57:45 pm »

That is planned for the Pimp Arc.
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 04:17:18 pm »

Ah.. It'd be incredible to be mining and then all of a sudden your miner breaches a patch of oil in the earth, submerging him and probably killing him from the toxicity. Armok help you if you accidentally let a spark near that area.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 04:22:53 pm »

Ah.. It'd be incredible to be mining and then all of a sudden your miner breaches a patch of oil in the earth, submerging him and probably killing him from the toxicity. Armok help you if you accidentally let a spark near that area.

This reminded me of a question I had, although I should ask it somewhere else... Is there a way to turn off the warnings about wet/warm ground when designating and the job cancellation? I want things to be just a bit more dangerous. =P Like a married dwarf going to the dining room and slipping too many coins in the dancing girl's loincloth!

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 04:44:26 pm »

Actually: Toady is OK with gunpowder. We all like exploding things and gunpowder is p. much the only way to get exploding things. No guns and bullets though.

But yea no fractional distillation. Dwarves don't exactly have an abundance of chemical engineers.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 06:08:08 pm »

What? No oil? But... but... but that makes me sad! I hoped that DF will one day simulate everything. How can you leave oil out? It's the single most important, world-changing substance ever discovered.

I hoped to re-create the industrial revolution, the rise of natural-gas-produced fertilizers, Green revolution, eventual shift from craft and industry based society to post-industrial one, with mechanization, automation, computers, massive population overshoot, rise of the tertiary sector like banking, legal services, insurance, real estate market, etc.

I hoped to simulate a world endangered by peak oil crisis, with ever declining EROI of available resources pushing the inflexible debt-based economies into an eventual systemic collapse with supply shortages, food riots and decay of civilization.

Oh well... back to hauling stones. At least we have wheelbarrows now.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2012, 12:04:06 am »

This reminded me of a question I had, although I should ask it somewhere else... Is there a way to turn off the warnings about wet/warm ground when designating and the job cancellation? I want things to be just a bit more dangerous. =P Like a married dwarf going to the dining room and slipping too many coins in the dancing girl's loincloth!

sortof, you can kill the announcement, but not the cancellation of teh dig order. See your announcements.txt file in the init folder.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

glopso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2012, 12:18:38 am »

...oil used to be worthless because it was useless until the combustion engine.
You can pour it on people
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6