Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Now that DF has minecarts, the next step is OIL!  (Read 14100 times)

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
Re: Now that DF has minecarts, the next step is OIL!
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2012, 01:53:20 am »

Actually: Toady is OK with gunpowder. We all like exploding things and gunpowder is p. much the only way to get exploding things. No guns and bullets though.

But yea no fractional distillation. Dwarves don't exactly have an abundance of chemical engineers.

I don't like exploding things. Gunpowder spelled the end of castles/forts and this game is big on fortresses.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2012, 05:23:30 am »

May I respectfully remind you that even Ancient Chinese knew and used crude oil... they got it from the ground seeps via bamboo pipes, end refined it into E104 azo-dye as a cheap substitute for curcumin to produce their favorite national food - yellow-colored rice.

Around 600 AD Byzantines used crude oil in makeshift flamethrowers, and it is suspected to be a part of the lost recipe for "Greek Fire" used in naval warfare.

I demand my yellow rice and flamethrowers! Flamethrowers are very handy in subterranean warfare, as proved by US soldiers at Okinawa.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

I am Leo

• Bay Watcher
  • Ia ia Oggez Rashaz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2012, 09:23:16 am »

Forgetting all the poorly concieved mechanical implications of refining and demands for anachronistic machinery, the idea of deep underground seas of highly pressurized, flamable liquid pleases me. I quite like the idea of oil as a sort of tame magma.
If moddable liquids were around, the obvious option would be to switch the magma sea for something with properties akin to flamable water.

As for gas, perhaps a flamable, yet invisible miasma that knocks out dwarves if it's too dense.

On a sillier note, brewers who haven't had a drink for a long time should take buckets of oil to the distillery and make some sort of spectacularly unpleasant booze that makes them go blind and dstroys their organs, but gives them a happy thought.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2012, 10:56:03 am »

So, ladies and gentlemen... if I say I'm an oil man you will agree.

Mrhappyface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2012, 12:38:33 pm »

Hooray for tar pits and geysers! Oil pockets are too mainstream a geological occurrence.
This is Dwarf Fortress. Where torture, enslavement, and murder are not only tolerable hobbies, but considered dwarfdatory.

Darksilverhawk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 12:54:34 pm »

Highly flammable substances (that dwarves don't have to drink) in a game where players are obsessed with magma and the application of said magma to every possible surface? I see no problems here.
When a dwarf has to make a decision, they will make the wrong one approximately 99.7% of the time.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 02:54:16 pm »

Oil and distillation aren't unreasonable things to ask for, but not in the same sentence. Dwarves have the technology to distill alcohol to high purity. I think it'd help matters if the distillation process was more involved. Having to provide fuel for the brewery/getting a new building altogether would make matters way more fun on that front.

Yeast + Sugar > Your fancy smancy elektriks

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 02:55:54 pm »

guys, I don't think he followed those people into the padded white van.

someone drag him in before he sets a city on fire.

A-ha! I get it now! This person thinks I am suffering from some sort of mental disorder. How peculiar! I consider others' brain people modi operandi to be inferior to my brain peoples' ones' at least eight times out of eleven. Contemplate the paradox from my point of view for at least eight minutes to fully appreciate the depth of its ridicule. I consider myself augmented and free, you consider me mad. Writing across on a paper with pre-printed lines does not always implicate the writer is defective - he could be, but we shouldn't be. In seven cases out of eleven, the problem is with the guy who printed the lines, and in two cases out of eleven, the problem are the lines themselves. And vice versa. Finally, in one case of eleven, the problem just needs a nice, round, blue barrel full of medium-heavy sour crude oil - and by that roundabout, we arrive back to the original topic.

Oil pockets are too mainstream a geological occurrence. - now here's a person who know what I am talking about, exactly, my good fellow. The oil is ALREADY THERE - and if we decide to ignore it, we are just riddling our simulated world with conceptual swiss-cheese holes. Similar to vacuum among atoms in our, presumably non-simulated universe instance - the oil, in Plato's concept of world of ideas, is ALREADY THERE, a concept, idea, whose materialization is as inevitable as a fit of cough after sneezing a bullet. The more we deny it, the more it's present and affects everything else. A geological simualtion  without fossilized remains of long-dead animals and plants is like a macaroni without Parmesan.  Argh, I cannot simply get this idea out of my head. Strange.

Anyway, to re-emphasize - it's already there, so put it there. Please. I ask you nicely.

Imagine the implications - self-powered minecarts, to start with. Flamethrowers, I already mentioned them, isn't melting a bronze colossus satisfactory way of defending your fortress? Flamethrower traps, jet fuel, asphalt for the caravan trail, and cheap clothes that don't require biomass input. Plus, you can have genuine, long-staying industrial pollution in the area - dead fish, contaminated aquefiers, things like that.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 03:30:43 pm »

Ignoring the fact that Dwarf worlds are the literally mostly only a few hundred years old...

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 04:23:02 pm »

Ignoring the fact that Dwarf worlds are the literally mostly only a few hundred years old...

And they start at year 1 with every type of stone creatable existant in the layers of terrain, even though most metal ores and stones take millions of years of compression under the earth to become what we know them as. So it's not farfetched to think that oil pockets should exist. If not atleast it'd add to the game flavour, since Toady said he wants to spice up mining in general and how better to do that then add things to avoid while mining and utilize outside of mining for neat things?

It's not like he's trying to suggest combustion engines running on pure gasoline, just normal, natural crude oil.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 04:40:15 pm »

And they start at year 1 with every type of stone creatable existant in the layers of terrain, even though most metal ores and stones take millions of years of compression under the earth to become what we know them as. So it's not farfetched to think that oil pockets should exist.

Except that oil = requires life.
Life = Has only existed for a year or so.
Dorfs = Got no oil

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 04:46:03 pm »

And they start at year 1 with every type of stone creatable existant in the layers of terrain, even though most metal ores and stones take millions of years of compression under the earth to become what we know them as. So it's not farfetched to think that oil pockets should exist.

Dorfs = Got no oil

Chalk- Formed by life, mostly skeletons
Limestone- Generally similar, except it can vary [usually nearest to water sources]

There we go. Two types of minerals we use all the time in DF. Many other minerals also require life to ultimately come to exist.

Nitpick all you want, it doesn't matter because it really isn't a very outlandish suggestion LW.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 05:25:04 pm »

Actually, all "flux" material is made of the crushed shells of ancient sealife.

Marble is just limestone or chalk that has been partially melted by magma.  The rest are the sedimentary flux types that are created on the sites of ancient seabeds.

By the way, the reason why you find huge swaths of hematite in the limestone layers?  The earliest oxygen-producing sealife, stromatolites, oxidized the then-iron-rich water causing all the iron on the surface to fall into single giant Banded Iron Formations

That means that DF simulates having a Precambrian age. 

DF's creationism is a creationism with "light in transit", which means that if we stop worldgen at year 1, we should also potentially be able to see Armok burying all the dinosaur bones for later dwarven archeologists to discover and form crazy "evolution" theories and "fossil records".
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Eктωρ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 09:56:08 pm »

Don't you guys seriously remember Toady saying that he wants to keep DF's tech pre-1400? Oil makes absolutely no sense in the game anyway.
Also, the way I see it, the year 1 of the worldgen is just world 1 for civs, the rest of the world was happy and living.
Ektor is in a constant state of internal rage

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 10:03:30 pm »

Dorfs = Got no oil

Chalk- Formed by life, mostly skeletons
Limestone- Generally similar, except it can vary [usually nearest to water sources]

There we go. Two types of minerals we use all the time in DF. Many other minerals also require life to ultimately come to exist.

Nitpick all you want, it doesn't matter because it really isn't a very outlandish suggestion LW.
God created the world in 7 days. Dinosaurs existed 6000 years ago. Oil was placed in the ground by God for our consuption! Possibly in 7 days!

Kamamura. Why so serious?
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6