Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]

Author Topic: Now that DF has minecarts, the next step is OIL!  (Read 14098 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Re: Now that DF has minecarts, the next step is OIL!
« Reply #75 on: June 04, 2012, 01:29:25 pm »

... I can't wait to incorporate DF into our sex life...

Now that is just wrong.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 04, 2012, 05:11:19 pm »

Ye has coal. Coal be all the hydrocarbon-based fuel a true Dwarf needs.

Although I'm okay with the inclusion of natural gas. At the levels of technology available to civilizations in Dwarf Fortress, natural gas is a deadly mining hazard which tends to either poison your miners or blow them up (or both) when mined into.

CodexDraco

• Bay Watcher
  • [SARCASTIC]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2012, 06:42:25 pm »

I don't think miners randomly blowing up and poisoning the entire fortress would be a very fun mechanic. Unless there is a significant risk/reward potential involved (like with candy).
Finely minced dwarven wine... what?

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 04, 2012, 08:37:54 pm »

I don't think miners randomly blowing up and poisoning the entire fortress would be a very fun mechanic. Unless there is a significant risk/reward potential involved (like with candy).

Well, if it could be used in an industry somehow (but not leading to organic chemistry or fueling mechanical contraptions), or have some practical purpose besides untimely death for your enemies, then that's fine.  The questions would then be, how much warning would you get (oily walls or floors like damp or warm stone?), how big are deposits, and how "pressurized" (taking from Kohaku's idea, i.e., how much "extra" oil is contained in a deposit) is it?

In the end, as cool an idea as I think this would be (fortress mode is too easy as it stands), I doubt it would ever get implemented until much later in the dev cycle.
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 05, 2012, 08:33:24 am »

To be sure, what you couldn't use, you could always sell.

What I mean is that it should be possible to create "tapping stations" in which a dwarf will take an empty barrel and fill it with whatever's coming out of the pipe- either gas or oil. Each barrel would contain, oh, 1/7 of fluid. Then you would build gas lanterns, for example, with a glass block, a twiddly little pipe of some sort, and a barrel of gas, which would keep burning for, oh, let's say two months, after which a dorf would have to come by and switch barrels out like at the propane exchanges at Wal-Mart. Or, it's true that we can't do fractional distillation, but it's hard to imagine that a form of distillation wasn't known to the ancients, and that it would be possible to distill one barrel of crude oil into a barrel of "refined oil", which would burn in a lantern for an entire season. Other uses (exploding gas barrels, anyone?) might also follow. If you had embarked in some sort of Dwarven Saudi Arabia, then you could export the oil and gas you couldn't use for a large profit (especially if, say, Humans or Elves didn't have oil distillation available to them).

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Microcline

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2012, 07:30:11 pm »

I think it'd be a good thing to implement if we ever get generic fluids.  A pressurized, flammable liquid occurring in pockets underground could have some interesting applications in the game.

That said, generic fluids is something that we're unlikely to get any time in the near future (if at all).  As much as drowning goblins in the harvested blood of their comrades or having a booze waterfall in the dining room might appeal to players, it's probably not worth the FPS hit.  There's also the fact that though it could have some interesting applications for alchemy, most of the interesting applications of petroleum are after the cutoff.

I could see the extracted plant oils being used in some expanded capacity in-game, though, such as causing balance problems when applied to surfaces (tying in to the currently unused "balance" skill).

Lord Inquisitor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2012, 08:04:39 pm »

murder holes!

Cauldons of Boilng stuff to kill people , its traditional.
Water if cheap and want it safe quick.
Oil if Have the cash and dont mind the loong burn time
Soup if target is edible.

tar is the stick rock that you pick get stuck in, need new pick or miner.
Oil is rock that flows and ruins all miners cloths creating foul mood and demand for new items. Its also prone to burning miners due to sparks.
Gas mining causes sparks and thats it then, funeral time. unless knockermen are about.

http://wiki.lspace.org/wiki/Knockermen
http://cataclysm.tiddlyspot.com/index.html Cataclysm Roguelike game Tiddlywiki mostly out of date
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113337.0 Who makes alcohol? do you? post here then.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]