Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Add advertisement to DF?  (Read 13909 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
Add advertisement to DF?
« on: May 17, 2012, 04:15:26 pm »

I think Toady could make more money by placing advertisement in DF. Just some common brands, maybe some satirical life-style tied to soft drinks or reliable automobiles. This could possibly make development bigger and faster. Toady would get more money and he could buy a lot of luxurious healthcare and computer equipment enabling him to realizing his vision even faster.

Seriously, this was in a PM from somebody who had a low income and had played DF for three years, even on hardware that could easily play modern games up until this date.
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Add advertisement to DF?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 04:19:40 pm »

...wut?!?

'scuse me. I thought I heard you say that someone seriously thought DF should have product placement?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 04:23:06 pm »

Nothing says "burn the elves, BURN THEM!" Like a shredded and scorched Ambercrombie & Fitch outfit.

Enjoy a hot summer day with a pair of stylish Eddie Bower sunglasses, made from real obsidian and adorable kittens.

No thanks. Ill pass.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 04:24:31 pm »

Toady and Three Toes already make enough money through the very generous donors (Armok bless their souls (if they had one to bless in the first place)). They do not need additional add revenue.
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 04:28:24 pm »

So Tarn Adams would be able to program faster if he took more vitamins and had two keyboards?  Or were we talking a Swedish massage lady for physical therapy, in which case he'd get nothing done at all.   :P
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 04:29:21 pm »

I would think the advertisers would want something more along the lines of . . .

"A vile force of darkness has arrived!" brought to you by...
<play 30 second non-skippable video of the new Cadillac Escalade>

JEEZ! GET OFF MY SCREEN!!! I HAVE MAD ELVES TO KILL!!!  =P

kirrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 04:31:00 pm »

. . . Or were we talking a Swedish massage lady for physical therapy . . .

Oh... I so need someone to convince my boss that this would enhance productivity!!!

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 04:31:59 pm »

I think Toady could make more money by placing advertisement in DF. Just some common brands, maybe some satirical life-style tied to soft drinks or reliable automobiles. This could possibly make development bigger and faster. Toady would get more money and he could buy a lot of luxurious healthcare and computer equipment enabling him to realizing his vision even faster.

Seriously, this was in a PM from somebody who had a low income and had played DF for three years, even on hardware that could easily play modern games up until this date.

To respond simply, it is unlikely that product placement would be a viable means of funding.  Not only is there the very significant customer alienation factor that must be taken into account were any such policy to be implemented, there is also the fact that DF is fundamentally a rather niche game.  The target audience that would be reached is quite low, comparatively speaking, and therefore, the desire for advertising in DF on the part of most business would be quite low.  The ability to implement it effectively is also questionable; parody, as you suggest, is quite different from product placement, and direct product placement would be quite immersion-breaking.  In other words, it'd drive off players and bring in very little money. 

Besides, there are plenty of more effective means of profit generation, should such be desired.  As far as I am aware, given the significant donation income, there has been little need on the part of the developers to expand the revenue stream further. 

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 04:32:29 pm »

Someone please make a spam bot mod, that turns everything in DF into derails and product placements.

Blizzlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Rarely posting anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 04:33:50 pm »

Someone please make a spam bot mod, that turns everything in DF into derails and product placements.
...isn't that what DF already is?
Quote from: a Swedish electronics teacher
In Sweden, digital electronics is considered unteachable. That is why you are not being taught about it.
Most attempts of sesquipedalian loquaciousness on the internet will most likely end up in egregious delusions of eloquence. Finagle's law commands it!

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 04:36:23 pm »

Everything that makes Dwarf Fortress good stems from being an indie game, unfettered by corporate considerations.  Even if you don't mind advertising in games in general, a connection like that would kill DF.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 04:41:30 pm »

Have you seen the latest Bay12 report? Professional software developers are lucky to average that much a month! I don't think we have an urgent need for an alternative revenue stream here, even if I really want to see some official Dwarf Fortress merchandise.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 04:42:41 pm »

I'd love to see what kind of ads would be put in, using the ad placement engines used in other media. Slaughtering a kitten? Probably an ASPCA ad. Designating ambushed corpses to be forbidden? Ernie's Local Mortuary Services.

As funny as it would be to see this (though it already happens on the wiki), it'd also be obnoxious and pointless, as stated previously.

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 04:45:32 pm »

If the economy comes back and doesn't suck, it might be interesting to see in-game advertisements of other in-game elements, at least.  Perceptions of value could be influenced by who made the object or where it was made... an additional layer of preferences, but a dynamic one that changes based on what advertising a dwarf was exposed to, and when.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 04:47:03 pm »

*Sips tea gingerly* This thread entertains me in the most debase of ways.

Derail?

Derail.

What kind of ads would appear in DF if placed?  What could possibly appeal to a DF player during the average course of gameplay to make them think "You know, this product looks like something I'd like."  Acres of Arizona land for sale?  Scuba gear?  Nuclear fallout shelter installation?  Just tell me... what ads would be relevant?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7